iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this new building at comm. mill ??

Started by sprucebunny, August 16, 2005, 07:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

There is a stud mill near my land that burned and now they are putting up this framework.

The thing is full of framework. Must be an upright every 3 feet inside of it.
I can't figure it out. Can you ???

Am I gonna have to stop and ASK ??? ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

DanG

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

etat

I personally, couldn't stand it.  I'd HAVE to ask. ;D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Gilman

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Kevin_H.

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

RMay

RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

pigman

Quote from: Gilman on August 16, 2005, 09:25:28 PM
Looks like a five story pig farm   8)
It ain't like any pig farm I have ever seen. smiley_headscratch
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Furby

This don't have anything to do with it, but a couple years ago they built a new reservist building near me.
I drove past it every day to and from work. They had the steel frame for the outside walls started at one point, but I could see all kinds of rebar sticking up in the center of the building 10-15' high. Watched every day to see if I could figure out why the rebar was there. Finally I saw them working on the forms one day and it hit me............munitions storage room!
Heavily reinforced concrete room in the center of the building. ::)

The up rights look to have some kind of flexible joint at the top. I don't have a clue as to what they building, but it almost looks like it would expand out like an accordian.

bull

sprucebunny

Some interesting ideas ;D

Board sorter came to my mind , too. But what would be the point if there was no good way to grab them ??? It looks too massive for that. But what do I know ???

I'll get another pic and ask when I go up  there tomorrow.

beenthere

As a drop sorter, the boards could come across chains at the top, and drop into appropreate sort slings below. These slings then can release a full bundle of boards to moving chains below, all one length, grade, thickness, and/or species. This last close-up pic shows a potential unscrambler at the end to unscramble the bundle.  I too, could be convinced its a board sorter of the sling type.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sprucebunny

That sounds good. There is about 8 feet of height under what seems to be the base of the thing.
And the mill itsself was on the other side of this thing.
Maybe they are rebuilding the whole mill ??? GREAT ;D

sprucebunny

I got some more pics but it was too late in the day to stop and ask.

This is the end view. They have a new piece in place closest to us.

Showing the new piece

The lower side that's inside the foundation

They have a little wood saved up ;D

If it's a board sorter, I guess I still don't really understand how it works. Does anyone know of a website that would explain it ???

sawhead

I believe that is a sorter , that is mfg by usnr. Here is a link to a pic that might confirm it. http://www.usnr.com/prod/img/sorter1_lg.jpg
The journey of a thousand miles begins
with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire

DanG

I guess that sorta sorts out that little mystery, eh? 
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sprucebunny

:D

So I guess the interior uprights don't go all the way to the ground and there is a conveyor under there....
Found several pictures using google but most of them didn't seem to have the interior  uprights
???
Thanks , Sawhead .

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Looks like a sorter to me also. I'm no expert here. But, I have seen them in several mills (Irving and Nexfor) on tours.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dail_h

I vote for drop sorta too,that thing at the end is probably the stacker where they put the sticks in
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Grappletractor

Ever find out what it was ? What town is it in ?

Don P

Looks like a drop sorter to me,
Here's some pics of the one at our local mill;

http://www.indlbr.com/facility.html

http://www.indlbr.com/lumberprod.html

(sorry for the slow load speed, they need to talk to a good webmaster  ;))

sprucebunny

It's a  sorter.

They have the rest of the mill almost done 8) Which is good cause they got a log pile built up that's HUGE !!!

It's in Milan, NH

Thank You Sponsors!