iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

25" wide curly spalted maple slabs

Started by Daren, August 15, 2005, 08:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I know it stinks clicking a link when most normal people can post the pics, but my computer has something wrong with it (and it's not just the guy running it). I hope you will anyway, it is to a page on my website showing me working on a log with a saw I got from "Horselogger" and some lumber I would really like some comment on from you all. I haven't been sawing since dirt was invented like some of you, but I think this is something special.

http://nelsonwoodworks.biz/pb/wp_62f437b9/wp_62f437b9.html?0.17759484981960755 
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Jeff

If you can upload photos to that sire, and post the link here, your computer is certainly well enough to post photos here. We would much rather you do that. 6 months from now, you delete your photos or that website does some changes, and it renders this thread useless.  Posting photos is easy. Ask anyone that now knows how to do it. It simply requires a little investment of time to figure out how to do it. In return you get a bunch of free space to have photos in your personal gallery, and you (WE) dont have to worry about them ever being deleted.  Look in the behind the forum board and there is a very good tutorial that DanG put together.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Daren

Jeff, I swear I can't post pics with this computer. I can get them in my album, but there is something goofy that after I copy the code and press post my computer hangs up. It is on my end. I used to post pics here, Dang learned me how when I first came aboard, piece of cake. Then I got a new computer and nada. I have really tried, I love seeing others pics and I want to go with the flow. I don't want to get you grumpy, I like it here. Did you check out the pics? (that is why I posted the link) I ain't trying to cause a fuss, other people link thier website or other sites all the time and I check them out and enjoy them and learn from them, that is why I visit here so often.

Daren

Jeff

I didnt mean to sound grumpy.  :-\

Sumpthin dont make sense. I see now you have photos in your gallery. If you can get them in your gallery, they are already here. Posting a link to them is the same as posting a link to those other photos. Where exactly is the computer locking up? 

Daren

Without going through the whole process of trying to post and my computer locking up, well not really locking up just not doing anything. I think I can go as far as copying the code and adding it to the post, then when I hit post, nada. No bytes sent or recieved. I don't know if I have a firewall thingy messing it up or what exactly. Like I said I had an old computer on its last legs that I posted pics with no problem, this one has locked me out of my own ISP. Had to call tech support (thought I blew another one up) There just aren't enough grease zirks on computers.
By the way, the pics on the link are cool.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Well, getting back to the REAL SUBJECT MATTER HERE...

Doggone that's some good lookin' stuff you cut. :o

When I cut wood with live fungus (the stuff that created the coloration) or with live
bugs,  I treat it with a borate solution to stop that action.  (BoroCare and TimBor are
examples of this.)  Borates don't hurt you, nor the eventual proud owner of the wood;
they just poison the little bugs and fungi.

Somebody should pay you a fine penny for those slabs!  Control your drying very carefully.

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Jeff

Try this. Just go to your gallery and bring up a photo. Right click on the photo and go to properties. find the address and copy it.  Come back here and paste the link.

It makes no sense at all that when you paste the code it locks up. The code is simply more text. If you can post a message you can post a link to a photo. Thats all you are doing. No different then posting a link to your other photos. THe only thing I can think of is that your internet security settings are so tight it wont let you use javascript. You can get around that by not clicking the add code, but by copying it like I suggest above

Daren

I do get a java error message sometimes (not here, but other places), I will have to check into that. I have not changed any setting since I got this computer. Maybe I should.
Hey Phil, thanks. I have dried some like it before, no problem. Maple gives up the moisture pretty fast, since the grain is curly it hangs together well. I have a ton of weight on it to keep the wide ones flat. I will check it in a few days and may restack it. I don't think I will put anything on it just yet, it did have that "smell", I have some air moving with a fan. By the end of the week I think my nose will tell if I need to do something different.

Gilman

Too nice of boards to not preserve in this thread.
Here you go Daren

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Daren

Thanks Gilman, that is just a little 24" bookmatch I got off a limb. I realized it was spalting pretty good so I let it set for another month or so. I just put 3 pics in my album of the stuff I sawed this weekend. There is a 50" book and a couple wicked slabs, you can't really see the curl, but there is plenty of it :)

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Hey Daren,

I realized later that indeed you had done some slabbing before!  Yes sir!
(I didn't check your site, until after I made the entry.)  Nice furniture.

By the way I  make my own version of BoroCare.   It's too expensive
to buy.

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Gilman

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Daren

Yea Phil, I have sawed a couple slabs. My little bandmill only saws 27" wide, but I try to just that every time I can. I just have a thing for wide ones. I am just a hack woodworker, but I guess if I keep hackin' maybe I will get good some day (I want to be like Brian Bailey smiley_thumbsup). Wood working is just good excuse to buy tools "You know Sugar, if I had this I could ..."

chet

Quote from: Daren on August 17, 2005, 01:08:32 PM
Wood working is just good excuse to buy tools "You know Sugar, if I had this I could ..."

I can relate ta dat!  8)  8)  8)  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Thank You Sponsors!