iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Source for seedlings mailorder?

Started by whitepine, August 14, 2005, 12:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitepine

Hi I enjoy planting trees and like to try different species. Currently I am buying containerized seedlings from Itasca greenhouse in Minnesota  (they are about 50 miles from me). I would like to see what else is available and because I am in about zone 2 or 3 they have to be very northern type. I really want to try alot of different and exotic stuff but realize most will not survive so dont want to pay $10.00 a tree just to try them.   Anyone suggest other mailorder  tree seedlings companies I should  look at. Thanks Tom

Frank_Pender

Whitepine, you might try www.brookstreefarm.com.  I do all of my tree business with them.  They are good folks. ;D
Frank Pender

Ron Scott

I assume that you have checked with your local Conservation District Forester. They often sell trees or have sources of area nurseries to direct you to. Depending upon your objectives , it's best to stay with species native to your area.

~Ron

Phorester

We (the VA Dept. of Forestry)  sell mail order bare rooted seedlings every year.  We sell 30-35 species every year.  last year, 50 white pine cost $35.00 shipped UPS to the buyer.  $90.00/1,000 UPS delivery. But we don't start taking orders until the fall. The seedlings are shipped the next spring.  In deference to VA landowners,  The nursery fills all instate orders first, then starts working on the out of state orders later in the spring.  (Late March-early April). 

http://www.dof.virginia.gov/   On the righthand side of the home page, about 1/3 the way down, you can click on the link;  "Tree Seedlings Online". 

As has already been said, though, for long term tree growth, rule of thumb is stick to seedlings that come from seed sources within 100 miles of where they will be planted.  But, I'm convinced that any tree species will grow anywhere in the world......., for a little while.  But if it's non-native to the area, or a native tree from a seed source to far out of the climate range, it's normal life span will be greatly shortened.  You're fighting Mother Nature.  She always wins.

bitternut

What kind of trees are you interested in planting ( deciduous or evergreens ) ?. It appears that the link that Frank_Pender gave is all pine and fir. If you want some native and exotic hybrids try Oikos tree crops. I have had good luck with their stock and they have some interesting stock. They are located in Michigan.

whitepine

Thanks for the help. I am interested in both types of trees. I have noticed our DNR has started planting oak here and this is about 50 miles north of its range.  I am 54 and in my lifetime racoons have moved this far north and now a possum was found 10 miles south of me and the heat is killing our moose herd and the DNR says Minnesota could be like Nebraska in just 50 years. We also got down to -60 below F. coldest in lower 48 a few years back but overall it is really warming up here ( I have gone from using 10 cords of wood for heat to about 7 in recent years). Both the feds and state are big in planting white spruce thats the most profitable timber  before that it was Red pine. I want to plant a big variety and I used to buy and sell timber and have alot of land available. I mentioned Itasca greenhouse they use hot water from a power plant in their greenhouse and their connifers are .20 and deciduous .35 when you buy over 500 containerized. Lots of trees on ebay but rediculous prices. Plowing discing and spraying are unheard off here and impracticle. You have a great site here and the search engine is wonderful.

jayfed

Just two listings to add to your search.  I have not tried them myself.

www.MusserForests.com - "Cold Temperature" selection

www.LawyerNursery.com - Search "Zone 3"

Surprisely, the local discount stores are trying more species of trees within your zone or northern varities of trees from zone 4 or 5.

Last year, I saw for the first time up in the UP: Sycamore, pin oak, river birch, eastern redbud and magnolia being sold. Being next to Lake Superior, we are a zone 4 / almost 5 (in a sunny protected location) while 30 miles southward inland it becomes a Zone 3 with a lot less snow.

Having 3+ feet of snow on the ground for 5 months is a big help, too. The ground never freezes unless exposed. An all natural mulch!

Yooper-at-large

A second warmer and drier summer.

rcaretti

I've used Musser in the past (hemlocks this spring and just recently ordered some shellbark hickory) and have no complaints.

I've also ordered a some northern pecans from http://oikostreecrops.com and while I lost a few of them this summer due to the weather and my placement, I'd use them again as well.

The majority of my small woodlot (12+ acres) is a 1960's white pine plantation (with a few scotch pine still holding on), and I plan on adding a few trees here and there as blowdowns or other openings permit. I also have quite a bit of field edge and other marginal grazing/pasture areas I am planning on continuing to place a few trees on over time.  So I'm always looking for nurseries as well.

Thank You Sponsors!