iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much to charge for cutting hemlock

Started by Rod, August 13, 2005, 06:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod

OK,a buddy called and said he wanted some hemlock.I got the hemlock trees on my place.He said he would cut and skid with his equement.All I got to do is saw them up.You can buy hemlock all ready cut up for $400M.Hemlock cost $250M to the mill.

So if I have the trees,he cuts and skids,and I saw them up,how much should I get $$?

Sawyerfortyish

At .40 a foot all cut I don't know if it's worth your time.  If he's a buddy that helps you out once in a while it may be your turn to return the favors. For myself I get .95 foot for hemlock.I only saw maybe 30,000 ft a year of hemlock and it's getting harder to get in this area. When I do have hemlock on hand nobody questions price they just want to know how soon can I get it.
To compete with the price in your area you won't make any money if you supply the trees and mill them. I always figured .15 a foot to cut and skid and about .20  to mill now how much is your trees worth?

Rod

on the stump it sells for 50 cents a foot.

DanG

If its worth $.50 on the stump, and you charge $.20 for sawing, charge him $.70 per bd ft.  If he can get it cheaper, let him. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Brad_S.

The math isn't working here. If it sells on the stump for 50 cents a foot, delivered to the mill it's 25 cents a foot and sawn boards sell for 40 cents a foot, this must be some sort of government deficit type operation. :D

I'm guessing you mean $50 per thousand or 5 cents a foot? I'd leave the tree standing and enjoy it's beauty for that!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Rod

I ment to say mean $50 per thousand is what Hemlock sells for on the stump.
:)

So even if I have the hemlock trees,my buddy uses his dozer to drag the trees out and I sawed them, it comes out that it would be cheaper to buy the lumber from the sawmills around here,right?

DanG

Well, at least the numbers are coming together better now.

If they're worth a nickel a foot on the stump, and you get 20 cents to saw, he gets the lumber for a quarter.  If the normal value is $.40, the 15 cents he gets for the logging puts y'all right on target :)

I still wouldn't do it unless I just wanted to get rid of the trees, though.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Rod

Rod

And I would like to get rid of some of them.

Back40x2

Boys O' Boys you guys are making a killing.  We love to saw hemlock up here in maine.  One of the best trees to cut.  Cuts like a dream.  Going rate around here is $185.00 per thousand. plus 30.00 setup fee.  The hemlock up here is rather large in size.  You really pile up some BF'tage really FAST 8) 8) 8)
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

RSteiner

If I custom saw someone elses Hemlock logs I charge them $.25/BF.  If the logs are dirty it may cost them a few cents more. 

If I have to supply the logs the price is $.60/BF - .$70BF depending on the size needed.

Randy
Randy

Lenny_M

The last 2 post seam fair in this area for the $$$$

Thank You Sponsors!