stihl o51

Started by clyde, August 12, 2005, 12:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clyde

Does anyone know the specs of an 051.  Is an old pwerhead worth 100.00
I want to use it with my alaskan mill?

Ianab

Stihl 051 is 89cc
It's an older model saw, but should have enough grunt to run an Alaskan.
Not sure about parts for those older models though?

The online bible for chainsaws is at http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView

You can look up almost any make / model there .

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SawTroll

Here are the specs. on the current production 051 (Brazil):

Dados Técnicos
Potência  4,3 kw (5,8 DIN-PS) 
Peso sem conjunto de corte  9,7 Kg 
Tanque de óleo  0,55 litros 
Sabre disponível  Duromatic 53, 63, 75 cm 
Corrente  0,404" Rapid-Standard 
Rotação máxima  10.000 rpm 
Cilindrada  89,2 cm³ 
Rotação lenta  2.500 rpm 
Relação peso/potência  2,26 kg/kw 
Tanque de combustível  0,9 litros 

Information collector.

sawguy21

I serviced a lot of them in the mid seventies. The fallers in southern British Columbia used them with 29" bars and .404 chain. Lots of torque but needed regular maintenance. The intake gaskets and insulator block were prone to leaking and the mufflers vibrated loose.
The oil pump drive is inboard of the crank seal and the pump o-ring would fail, allowing chain oil into the crankcase. The piston would hydraulic lock. Even with flushing the crankcase with gas, the rewind handle would rip out of my fingers a few times before it started. That hurt.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: clyde on August 12, 2005, 12:17:05 AMIs an old pwerhead worth 100.00

If you're looking at buying one, or buying any older saw for milling, I'd look at the 056 Super or 056 Mag II.  Parts for the 056 are fairly common because of the 045, with which it shared the majority of.  JMO, and just throwing that out there for ya.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Frickman

I sold an 051, with original 24" bar, to a local fellow last year, to use on an Alaskan mill. He came back to say it worked better than he ever dreamed. As a bonus, he has an excallent saw for felling and bucking large timber.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!