iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Change of Pace

Started by Brad_S., August 10, 2005, 09:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_S.

Sometimes it's nice to do something different rather than the same old same old. Today was one of those days for me.

A custom home builder I do a bit of work for needed 11 posts that tapered from 10" at the base to 6" at the top over a 6' run. I first canted the logs to 11" then built a jig with shims to get the taper.

A near finished post in jig.

Sawing a tapered face.

Stack of finished posts.

There was one special post needed that had the same taper but then needed a 7' run of 6"X6".

Here's the blank in the jig. The 6X6 has already been cut.

Just barely had enough daylight to finish the job.

Nice diversion, but I wouldn't want to do them everyday.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Part_Timer

nice looking set up.  looks like it would be fun to try.  well once anyway :)  What's he building a giant table
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Dan_Shade

nice, looks fun.

it's always good to "beat" a problem
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

UNCLEBUCK

That is real slick Brad , I bet you could show the old woodwright guy a few tricks  8)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Brad_S.

Thanks UB, but I'll bet Roy would have hand hewn those in the same amount of time! :D

woodmills1

But he would end up wearing more band aids :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

dail_h

Brad,
   Were they tapered on all 4 sides?
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Brad_S.

Yes, all 4 sides were tapered. As pictured they are random length but the taper was figured for a 6 foot section. I believe they are going to sit on a masonry base. I'm looking forward to seeing the promised photos of the finished home.

Thank You Sponsors!