iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally!

Started by brdmkr, August 06, 2005, 10:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

DanG and Woodbowl came over to show me how to use the new Lucas 8).   Pictures will be coming soon.  I knew I would have a good time, and I did.  We sawed up a couple logs, a SYP and an eastern red cedar.  I saved a tub full of that cedar sawdust.  Man it smells good.  DanG and Woodbowl are good people.  I learned a good bit from both of them.  Thanks guys.  Again.... Pics will be coming ;D 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

DanG

Mike, Thank YOU for letting us be a part of a special day.  I got a real kick out of watching you open your first log on your new mill.  Not everybody gets to participate in something like that.  I hope we helped get you started out on the right foot.  Woodbowl and I agreed on the way home, that we both had a very fine day. 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

UNCLEBUCK

Congratulations brdmkr on your mill and also the first boards on it !  Good job DanG and woodbowl !  smiley_fiddler thats Woodbowl  &   smiley_whip  DanG .   :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

brdmkr

Here are the pics as promised 8)

The first is the 3 of us before the sawdust was made.

Here is a Pic of Woodbowl showing us how it is done.

Here is a pic of DanG showing me how it is done.

Finally, here is a pic of me to show that I did actually use the mill 8).  Notice that Dang is making sure that I listened :D

All in all, it was a good day.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

UNCLEBUCK

Gee you post good pictures . Hey that is slick !  I heard that those kind of mills are really awesome for crankin out dimensional lumber ! That is great ! Keep on postin pics
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

woodbowl

Here is the real sawer. That's Mikes wife, Greta showing us all how it's done.
With three of us looking, we're bound to see something...........what we looking for anyway?
brdmkr made his first boo boo. We didn't think to tell him the log gets lighter and lighter every time a board comes off. The blade pulled the log up a little bit and left this purdy little saw mark for all the world to see.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

woodbowl

On the way home, DanG started thinking. This has the potential of developing into a very danGerous situation.                                             
Heading home. It's been a very good day.                                               
Well..............since we didn't make it to the pig roast, here is the extent of our efforts to have a little pig roast anyway. Pig in a can, sitting on the muffler. Sweet taters go pretty good with it too.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

customsawyer

Anytime DanG starts thinking it is going be DanGerous. Sorry I diddn't make it down that way this week end guys I ended up having to work on a site where I will be sawing next Friday would have called but it was one of those places that you can't pickup a cell signal. great pic.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Roxie

Great pictures!   8)  Sure beats the stick figures that SOME members have to resort to when they forget their camera!   :D
Congrats bigtime on the new mill ... it's a beauty!   :)
Say when

Fla._Deadheader

Looks like everyone enjoyed the day.  8)  Nice lookin mill.  8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

Woodbowl, ya went and ratted Mike out about that little boo-boo. ;D  That slab jumped up about 2 inches, and pore Mikey jumped up about 2 feet! :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Was there any way to see that coming, before taking the cut where the log raised up ??  Was anybody even looking for that to happen ??  Did y'all try to correct the situation, or, just keep on sawin ??

Tryin to learn sumpin here.  ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Dan_Shade

I see you put a tarp down to catch the sawdust...

I did that too when I got started, problem is I'm lazy, and by the end of the day too tired to clean up that sort of stuff.  Well... now it's under about 18" of sawdust, so when I get to that, it'll still be shoveling it off!

(moral of the story is not to use me as an example ;D) 

looks like you had a good day to see how to get started, fun ain't it?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

tnlogger

wal know it seams like the lucas got broke in real good there Mike and i see you had some great help to boot.  Has DanG told ya to save all yer cans for the trip to the pig roast next year ??? .
good pics and good friends make a day just right  8)
gene

DanG

Harold, the "problem" was the same old issue of the makeshift bunks most swingers use to support the log.  The log was a doty ol' cedar that had been sitting on my yard for a couple of years...dry and light.  It was Mike's first log, and he was making the last cut on it.  His confidence had been growing with every board.  He just tried to push it a little too hard with nothing holding the slab down.  No harm done, other than a neat little slot in the slab.  Good chance that that is a valuable little slot by virtue of a lesson learned.  What better time to learn a lesson, than on your first log, before you've developed any bad habits to overcome?

The solution?  I think that took care of itself.  Mike won't never do that again! :D :D :D   Also, Mike and I have been discussing ways to make a low-cost, effective clamping system for his mill.  We've got a couple of ideas, and we'll let y'all know what we come up with. :)

This was one of those win-win days for everybody.  Woodbowl and I got the chance to lay hands on a brand new swingblade mill, and a nice little day trip, to boot.  Mike got a few tips on sawing, and the advantage of some extra eyes to help sort out the little mysteries of a new, unfamiliar(to us all) mill.  We all got a lot of laughs and good ol' down home comraderie.  It weren't no piggy roast, but it was a DanG good substitute. :) :)

8) 8) 8) 8)

DonE911

Nice pic's.

Looks like everyone had a great time   8)

reminds me that I still want one of those swing mills

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks for the response, Dan. I was tryin to see if there was someway to 'Read" the log. Never even thought about it gettin loose on ya.

I got a idee on a set of clamps that I's just dyin to try out.  ::) ::) ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

brdmkr

QuoteThat slab jumped up about 2 inches, and pore Mikey jumped up about 2 feet!

DanG.  I resemble that remark!

DanG

Yeah ya do.   ;D

You did do a cute little hop there.  It is startling when something like that happens.  Sometimes I get a little too frisky and get into one of them tough ol' pine knots, and the mill will skew sideways suddenly. Always scares the bejeepers outta me. :D :D :D

woodbowl

It was a nice little experience, educational in fact. Didn't have to dodge any missles and didn't tear anything up. I bet all the swingers have had this happen at least once or twice.

Paul_H

I tried to post here earlier but it wouldn't let me  ???

Thanks for the pics and the story to go along with it.How were the mill-fried pork&beams?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

woodbowl

Actually, we never got around to eating them pork & beams. The sweet tater was rotten on one end so we chunked it in the bushes right off. This wound up being a photo opt to express our grief and absents in respect of all the funnin' going on at the pig roast at Jeffs place. Cooking an armidilla on the grill just didn't seem fittin'. We knew it had to be pork. What was good intentions of having a southern pig roast at DanGs house, turned into putting what we had on the manafold of his MD. A can of potted meat, vienna sausage, beanee weenees and a sweet tater. Hope to make it to the pig roast next year.

Captain

Now, I just want to know how much swing blade technique Professor DanG imparted on Saturday.  I taught him everything he knows :D

Just kidding, dimension saws and swing saws take a log apart in VERY SIMILAR ways,  ya got a good mentor there to learn from.  Hopefully we can help you more at Moultrie, still not sure if I am going or not...

Congrats on a fun day, and slow down in those bottom slabs...

Captain

DanG

Thanks Captain. Just one minor correction, though.  You taught me everything I SUSPECT about swingblade sawing. :D :D

I hope I can be a small help in getting Mike over some of the bumps in this road he is taking.  He'd do just fine on his own, but should learn faster if I can warn him of some of the potholes.  One thing's for sure, though!  I'll learn just as much, if not more, as he will. ;) :) :) :)

brdmkr

I will say one thing, after the little slap hop, I am thinking REAL HARD about building me a dogging mechanism.  DanG, I haven't forgotten the design you suggested.  I've even been thinking about ways to make it more general.

Thank You Sponsors!