iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

circle mill power ? sawdust blower ? with pictures !

Started by UNCLEBUCK, August 05, 2005, 09:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

Hey there , I had to make a cradle for my 671 detroit out of 12 inch channel steel and am wondering if I can go ahead and hook it up now and be done or do I have to pour a cement pad underneath it and then anchor the cradle to the slab , my blade is 48 inch . Will there be alot of torque to possibly make the cradle move ?  And I found a sawdust blower that says Buffalo on the side of it and am wondering if I can use it to remove sawdust from the pit ? My open flight elevator invention was a disaster . Thanks                                                                                                                                               

UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

woodbowl

Hey UB, I don't know about the cement part but what about a drag chain to pull all that sawdust? That drag chain will make a mountain for as far as the chain will reach.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

J_T

I didn't put concret under mine wish every day I had  :-[  Nice blower  8) And while i'm here happy B day too 8) 8) May your saw awalys stay sharp 8) 8)
Jim Holloway

UNCLEBUCK

I just torched off the old drag chain gear box last week to slide the open flight elevator in and I mean I torched every little cling on that was hangin in my way and I was thinking if this blower could work it would be great or else just get a 2 horse dust collector from Grizzly or something ?  Thanks J_T , It will only take a few days to do the concrete thing and not much cost . I gotta go reload more b-day cake !  Woodbowl I am re-thinking that drag chain thing .

J_T

Unclebuck if I had a motor handy I think I'd try that blower out . 8) In one of Buzz's photos is part of a blower system it's blower is outside and pulls the dust a long way . Another buddy of mine has his sitting next to his mill and blowes his dust down a pipe and it works great but has some smaller dust sturring in the air. If he had close neighbors he would have a bad day for sure though :D :D
Jim Holloway

Bro. Noble

We use a blower about like that on our scragg mill.  We belt it to a shaft on the mill and use sewer pipe to run a suction line below the blades and a discharge line probably 50 or 60 reet away from the mill.  Occasionally we load the resulting sawdust pile into a manure spreader and spread the dust on the pasture.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Ron Wenrich

The blower will work.  We use one that's bigger than that, but we are blowing into a trailer.  I always liked drags.  Low tech and never wear out.  I alwyas made them with old corn picker chain and paddles.

As for pouring concrete, we never had concrete under the motor.  But, you do need a way to keep your belts tight.  We always drove something in the ground, like an old shaft, then put wedges behind it to keep good belt tension.  If you have slipping belts, you will have big headaches.

We do have concrete under our current motor, but it is a gen set and is not a direct drive to the belts, so there isn't as much pull on it.  We also have I beam sunk in the concrete for support.  If need be, we can tack it down.  I don't think that is necessary to your operation.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

D._Frederick

Uncle-,

For your 671, I would get some used rail ties and set the engine on them. Put a couple of dead men in the ground and use turn-buckles to keep your belts tight.

We had a chain drag system on the American mill. There was a pit under the saw and with sheet metal to direct the saw dust to the chain. The only problem was that you needed to take links out of the chain for wear.

woodhaven

UNCLEBUCK
Don't worry about the belts just get the engine so it won't move. The belts are easy to fix.
Richard

UNCLEBUCK

Thanks for lookin and thinkin about this everybody . There is no belts , its going to be direct from the transmission to the arbor and I have a shear collar in between . I guess I should have said that yesterday . I got so many questions going into the unknown here doing this but all your input is very much appreciated because then I know what to do the next day and whats good and bad . I been a welding alot now hooking up stuff I torched off when I pulled the motor out. I have the right rotation off the transmission to match the blade but I have to fire it up tomorrow and put my handheld tach on the back of the tranny and see what kind of rpm I can get in 4th gear . I dont have a clue but am hoping I can get up atleast to 400 rpm , blades hammered for 475 so I will cross my fingers .                                                                                                                                                   

UNCLEBUCK

I have decided to pour a cement pad underneath but have to wait until I see how many rpm I get ,then I will know if I can eliminate the silage chopper gearbox and just hook to the tranny . Its getting very confusing but I hope it turns out ok, its one of those projects that I have waited a long time to do and now I know why . Also this motor has a Vickers Vane hydraulic pump and a air compressor and am thinking about not using hydraulics and go back to the belt drive for the carriage . All I have to do to convert from a hydraulic carriage back to belts is just unhook the chain at the hydraulic motor . I am beat tonight but tomorrow I will know. Thanks to all of you ok !                                                                                                                                                         

UNCLEBUCK

Also when I went wild with the torch a few days ago I torched down the spot where I stand and pull the levers behind my bullet proof shield and now the hydraulic levers are hanging in the air and I think I can get about 3 feet closer to the sawblade and make a better and wider area for the boardman to slide cants back across to the sawyer . Before I was kind of shy of the blade but after getting some experience I am not afraid of things as much .

UNCLEBUCK

I hooked a 1750 rpm motor to this blower and just a nice breeze came out. I suppose I have to get a 3450 rpm motor to make it work ?  I would like to power the sawdust blower off of this detroit motor some place if my brain dont have a meltdown trying to figure out v-belt pulley sizes etc..   ???

Fla._Deadheader

Uncle Buck, our Blower sat IN the pit, and had a large V pulley on the mandrel down to a smaller one on the Blower. There was a shaft running under the Husk to the Blower.

I would also consider getting that exhaust pointed up into the air. The roar will deafen you. The higher the better, 8' or so.  I had a coarse screen at the intake, to keep chunks from being inhaled.

So far, lookin good.   ;) ;) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Corley5

I like it 8) 8)  Why didn't your elevator idea work ???  I've got a 7" wide grain elevator under the Corley.  It works great and has for over 30 years :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

UNCLEBUCK

Hey Harold now that is a idea I think I will try ! I got a 3 foot pit below the blade and its boxed in with treated 2x6 t&g and this blower would drop down in no problem .  Do they make a big diameter v-pulley like in 2 pieces because I have now way of ever getting the saw collar off but this idea is do-able and thanks a whole bunch  ???  Corley I always am alone and I had everything all done with the open flight 45 foot very nice kewanee elevator and I wanted to shove it 6 inches farther in with the front of the backhoe , well I went 6 inches and went in and looked and I crushed the area where the elevator pivots.Just like a spam can   :o. It was so hot the day shoved it in and I couldnt see out my glasses very good from sweatin so hard . I should have cleaned me glasses  :D

woodhaven

UNCLEBUCK
Nice looking setup you have there. I am still using gas and don,t have anywhere near the torque you will have with that 671. I am glad to see there are still some more of us circle mills out there. I run a 52" blade and burn gas. It  cost a fotune. I wish I had a deisel
Richard

Fla._Deadheader

UB, I know there are 2 piece flat pulleys. Have no idea about V pulleys ???

You would slide a 1 piece on from the end opposite the saw collar. The one I had, had a bracket with the shaft going to the fan. Can't remember the brand. OAS don'tcha know ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

J_T

Unclebuck when I  took the motor off that 510 M F combine it had a hyd. pump on so I just went on and used it It power a turner a push log deck and the carrage too. I think I have saw split v pulleys but don't rember where may of beem MSC or Mac Mastercarr ??? ???
Jim Holloway

WH_Conley

If this is the same motor out of the picker we were talking about a few month ago you should have several hydraulic motors, valves and at a couple of pumps. Maybe hook a motor to to the blower?
Bill

D._Frederick

Uncle-,

I don't know if they are still being made, but there were sheet metal pulleys that were made in halves that would clamp to a shaft. They clamped tight enough that for low power drives that no key way was needed.

I notice that you have blocks on both the front and back of yoursaw blade so that you can drag cuts back to be edged. The American mill had cast iron rollers for what your wood blocks are doing. They worked real good, when you get time, weld together a couple of rollers, they will make thing go better.

I would watch the temp. of your engine, your radiator looks on the small side for a stationary engine.

UNCLEBUCK

I took this motor out of the crane thats holding it , I just put the boom all the way up and swung around and flipped up the hood and give it a jerk and then got the torch out and cut off anything that was holdin me down  :D.  Hey D. I will check that split pulley out or I will split one myself ! I got the plwood cover off right now that goes over those 2x4 blocks but I did find a old roller your describing , that must be where it came from once upon a time. J_T  this motor has a big hyd pump and all I have to do is weld a bracket on the new cradle and it would work. Sounds like youre happy with your hydraulics and I better think hard tonight and slap that hyd pump on while I have the opportunity because if I think I will do it later I will never get back around to it.  Harold I torched the exhaust pipe off and its laying in the weeds but I will do that and get that stack up through the roof . I bought this crane for 1,000$ and I drive it anywhere until I peeked under the hood last year and thought hey now there is the power I been wanting so I parked the crane so I can reach the slab pile and the log pile and it will never move from that spot ever again. There is a 371 detroit in the upper and it runs good too but the tires are all rotten so it was time to park it before I got caught roaring down the roads at 50 mph or blow a tire . I am just wild with the torch lately because I put a new tip on it and I been torching just about everything in sight ! I had a torch tip that had 3 plugged holes that were like welded shut but this new one is just wild.                                                                                                                                                                   

UNCLEBUCK

As long as I got the sawdust bug happening here is a picture of where I use to stand when sawing . You can see the big red stick if I go the amish way and there is 2 flat belt pulleys fixed to the shaft that the blade is on if I need a power source otherwise I can just put the 2 belts back on and it would be simple ,just pull the stick to send the log through and pull the stick to gig it back . I had so much crap in the way for protection when sawing I could hardly see what I was doing . Now I have to figure out how and where to weld all that crap back on so it is more operator friendly !                                                                                                                                             

UNCLEBUCK

I meant to say pulling the stick sends the log through and pushing the big red stick gigs the log back ! Yeah me tired ! Thats the same way I pulled and pushed the hyd lever too . So is everyone saying go hydraulic and stay that way or should I use the big red stick and start smokin swisher sweets and find me a pair of broadfall pants in a size "5x tent"   :D

WH_Conley

Swisher sweets are are cheaper by the carton, :D :D
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!