iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

does anyone have any ides on how to lift RR ties off the mill?

Started by Rod, August 05, 2005, 08:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod

I'm set up in a shed and what would be the best way to cut and move ties off the mill.Say you have a 30'' log thats going to be cut in ties and you work alone..I don't have a tractor either.

Tom

If you had dragbacks they work good.   "Cant Kickers" would be handy and not to difficult to make, though you could use a cant hook just as well.  Build a ramp on the backside of the mill and kick the cants off onto a ramp where you can temporarily stack them till you get a chance to move them.   

Load logs on the frontside and kick the cants off of the backside..

Without hydraulics or roller toe-boards, you should be in the market for some material handling rollers.  You know, like the ones used to unload trucks at the grocery store.  Not the ones that have little wheels like roller skates, unless that's all you can find, but the ones that have the longs solid roler.  They won't be so affected by dirt and sap and will be easier to clean.  They might help you get cants further from the mill if necessary.

If you think you are going to be sawing heavy timbers regularly, you should make it a goal to invest in some material handling equiprment, tractor, forklift, backhoe or the like.

Rockn H

I'd say the quickest would be a roller deck.  You'd have to pick one end of the tie up and put it on the deck and push it out.  You could use an over head troley and hoist.  Or you could just throw each tie off on the ground and use something like future forestry's one man forwarding arch.
Future Forestry Link

Dan_Shade

find yourself a cross tie carrier. that makes it a little easier, and definately a small arch...

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Rod

Well,I think I'll try to post a picture so you can get and idea of how my mill is setup

Well,I went to '' Upload file'' and it said I cant do it ,it said,Error Sorry there is no album where you are allowed to upload files :o

Question: How do I upload a file?
Answer: Go to "Upload"and select the album that you want to upload to, click "Browse" and find the file to upload and click "open" (add a title and description if you want to) and click "Submit"

Rod

Furby

That's easy.......take out the back wall!  ;) ;D

Really though, make some manual rolling toe boards and some rollers of the end as was said.

Here's the link to the photo posting thread:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=12416.0

tnlogger

Rod from the looks of your setup the easyest way would be to build you a 2' plank skid on the back side of the mill. cut a hole in the end wall and take a good boat winch or a tow strap hooked to the truck and pull it outside to get to it.  or set up a trolly and ghain fall and pick up the cant and roll it out.
now this is off the top of my scatered brain now so take it with a grain of salt  :D
gene

Rod

HOLY COW!!!I guess I'll have to do a bunch of reading and studying to figure out how to post a picture.This could take me days,maybe longer.Well maybe not,I'll just have to take the time to follow the steps.

And the back wall all ready has doors on it  :o so maybe I could take thm out that way. ;D ,another problem solved

woodbowl

Rod, I like to work alone too. You know how when someone wants to help on the other end and you wish they would leave it alone because it is harder for two people to carry than for one man to teeter walk it? Over the years I seem to have been doing a lot of that. For instance, a 14" lopp sided log that I wish was turned the other way for sawing can be rotated with one hand. I do have to put a flat side on it first, flip in 180 degrees, positition it on top of the dogs back stop (WM-LT40), and spin it to swap ends. It's like a giant see-saw. I've spun beams 90 degrees, aimed them toward a jackstand roller and shoot them on the trailer. I just wish that I had done this 10 years ago before I hurt my back............of course, everybody that has a sawmill has back problems.  Don't they? smiley_headscratch
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Rockn H

Rod, what helped me the most with posting was before I even went to FF. Create a new pic folder on your computer using the Image Optimizer software you can down load for free.  Compress all the pics you want to put on here and save them in your new folder.  Then when you hit the browse button just go to your new folder and start clicking.  If that fells ask Furby. :D

From looking at your pic.  Which way do you go to get the boards you cut now out of the building? 
With your mill as low as it is, I would run a piece of I beam at an angle out the opening( one end centered over mill, the other end at the side of your log bunk.  So you could pull a trailer under it.)  That way you could use a hoist to lift the ties.  As low as your mill is that is the only way I can see not to do a lot of bending, with your mill where it is.  If you don't like the angle idea, you can get curved Ibeam.  Run it staight off the mill then turn it to the side of the log bunk.

hillbilly

ROD
        If you dont have a tractor or anything to move  the tie with then how are you going to load them onto a truck or trailer ?
            I think that I would go w/rockin Hs plan about the I beam you could load your whole truck or trailer that way ;)

Rod

simple hillbilly,When I pull the tie off the mill and though the shed,Ill just park the trailer at the end of the shed and then the tie will end up in the trailer.

Did I explain it all right?

Oh,I forgot to say anything about the trailer ;D,

Rod

dail_h

Rod,
   I have an all manual mill also,and what I do with lumber,and ties,is to use roller tables on the back side of the mill. I think they are about 16 in. wide that I found at junkyard. They are in 10 ft sections with the rollers really too close together. When I get some time,I'm gonna make some lifhter frames for them,spread them out some so they are longer. It's much eaiser to roll than to carry
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Rod

Ed_K

Rod, heres how I move the big ones.

Heres one of the log bunk to feed the mill.

Its all manual, some day it'll change.
Ed K

Rod

well Ill be Ed_K,thats looks like a good way to move those heavy pices of wood.

Rod

here how I load my logs onto the log deck http://www.woodweb.com/images_forums_public/forestry/50808205316.jpg

I go cut a tree down,hook tree to back f truck,drag tree to log deck, and then when i get to the log deck,i drive over it,then get out of the truck,then buck the log,undo the chain,roll log down log deck,back up and keep doing that tell its all bucked. ;D the log deck is 20 feet long.

The reason I don't have any grass is because the logs kind of dig up the yard when I'm dragging them.

Thank You Sponsors!