iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Proud of my wood

Started by Jeff, August 06, 2002, 07:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I stated in a previous thread that there are not very many places that I can point to and say "Thats wood I sawed!" Even after between 60 and 100 million board feet, (3 to 5 million a year for 23 years) I only have a precious few places that I can say, lookie here, I sawed that.

Our family cabin in the U.P. is one of those places. Almost every board was sawed by me and hauled up in the back of a pickup. Here are a few pictures of the inside. Paneled with red pine. The ceilings are white pine, red pine or hemlock. The floors are maple and oak or a mix.

We spend many hours looking out the backdoor window watching deer and bear and what ever. The video camera is aimed down a lane we cleared to a feeding station about 75 yards away.

We spend a lot of time at the table there too. Eating. Food taste better when you're at the cabin.

This is my room when I am up there. The "Bear" bedroom.

The Moose bedroom.

Its great to go to the cabin. When I walk in the door, any tensions or problems or worries I may have seem to melt away. Its like being hugged.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CHARLIE

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Kevin

I think we should put in a dirt floor this weekend.  ;D

woodman

Jeff nice did you build it yourslef or have some one do it for you.
Jim Cripanuk

Paul_H

Very nice,finished better than most homes around here.

Looks like it'll work just fine for the Forum Reunion.Just tell us all when to be there. :P
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

J Beyer

Looks Grrreeeeaaaat! ;D  Gives me a few ideas if I get the privelage of building a cabin or house.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Jeff

Woodman,

everyone in our family worked on this cabin. it technically belongs to my sister, as they bought the property, but we all put it all together over the years. All the cement for the peirs its built on was mixed by hand with water hauled from the lake. once we got electric service in we were able to use a small mixer for the side walks.

Almost every stick was hauled to the site in pickups. I have to dig up a picture of theoutside. I have 2 versions somewhere. they both look great. The first is where the outside is sheeted with red pine, just like the inside. I thought that looked good, but we ended up sising it withhalf log Northern white cedar. It was post size that we 3 sided and put yp like siding leaving the round side out. that looks real goo too. The cedar is the only thing that I did not cut other then part of the floor which is OSB.

dewwood

Jeff,
Beautiful place!  I know what you mean about the UP, I love to go up there and spend a little time whenever the opportunity arises.  Unfortuneatly that is not often enough.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Norm

Very nice Jeff, I really like the photos. Nothing like the satisfaction of doing it yourselves.

Bro. Noble

Jeff,

Sounds like you have a beautiful family as well as a beautiful cabin.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Corley5

Beautiful!!  Isn't wood great?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

woodman

Gave you something to do on the weekends for a year or two right Jeff    ;)
Jim Cripanuk

whitepe

My lovely wife Becky and I got a chance to see
Jeff's and his family's cabin this last week in person.
It is beautiful and I know they are proud of it.
They even have nicknames for the bears they see around
there.  
I have a photo of a piece of wood that I am proud of.
You can see it --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/user/whitepe2
Look under the sawmills etc. album.

My grandfather found this piece of wood with
a grapevine growing around it. He passed away
in 1964 and I built the lamp when I was in seventh
grade shop class in 1965. I guess you can say
that's when my interest in wood started.
Anyway,  I would like to see if any of you can
name the species of tree that it came from.

I will post the answer in a week or so.
Rick Schmalzried you aren't allowed to guess
since I told you one time what kind of tree it came from.

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Bro. Noble

Whitepe,

I'm gonna guess Sassafrass.

Noble

Tom

Don't have anything that looks quite like that around here. Some oaks might, Camphor does a little bit.   Must be some kind of Foreign wood.  :D

whitepe

I won't keep you guys in suspense any longer...

Noble's pretty good.  Sassafras it is...

I can't send Forestry Forum hats....
Would a CAT hat do?
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Bro. Noble

Whitepe,

The joy of finally being a winner in one of these ID posts is a prize to me.  I enjoy doing them.

My barber has a stringer of hogmollies carved out sassafrass that look real.  It's neat wood.

Noble

Jeff

hogmollies? Is dat der english?

Dont have a clue on this one.

Tom

I understand that, Jeff.  He must be talking "Southern Missouri".  :P

Bro. Noble

Jeff and Tom,

I thought you guys were outdoorsmen.  You would never get a hogmollie noodling but if your real fast you might gigging or grabbin.  Sometimes furriners call them hog suckers or spotted suckers.

Noble

CHARLIE

Hey Tom! I think a Hogmollie is on the same order as a Croaker 'cept they're freshwater. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bro. Noble

Charlie,

Hey,  we got croakers here too-----their legs fry up real good!

I'd way druther eat them than hogmollies.  Now Red Horse and Yellow Suckers they make good eatin if fried real crisp but their spotted cousin isn't so much in favor.

Noble

Bro. Noble

Charlie,

Hypentelium nigricans is what they call a hogmollie in the book but I never heard one called that before.

Rana catesbeiana is what they list our croakers as.

I think you could probably noodle a Rana catesbeiana if you really wanted to (I can't see why a feller would) but if you got a mudpuppy instead, you would really be disgusted----those things can about turn all the way around inside their hide.  They have cured a lot more people of noodling than the law has.

Noble

Tom

It may be the repulsion of the utmost to Noodle a Rana catesbeiana  if they can turn around inside of their own skin. But, Noodling is curtailed quickly down here when one Noodles an Alligator mississippiensis which can, quickly, without much effort, turn a Noodler around inside of his own skin.

'Course entertainment in the south runs the gamet from "Frog Kissin" to "Gator Kissin" as this lovely lady practices on her first trip to the Okeefenokee Swamp.

Bro. Noble

Tom,

Never could understand why a fellow would want to live in Florida on purpose.  If all the girls are that purty and that desperate then it makes a little more sense.

Noble

CHARLIE

Noble, a Croaker ain't a frog. A frog is a rosey ribbiter. ;D  Granted, a frog can croak and a person can croak, but they ain't Croakers. A real Croaker is a Croaker which is probably in the same Family as a Hogmollie. ???
Charlie

Bro. Noble

Charlie,

I hate to be a croaker but did you notice down at the bottom of the menu page under calander?  They have given woodman three or four days.  How come we just got one and had to share it with Jeff?

Noble

Jeff

Noble, you got to be kidding eh?

Thats woodman days not birthday. Its a 3 day event.     You did click on it and look at it I take it.

Tom

What?   Woodman got 3 or 4 days?

What did he do?

Bro. Noble

Jeff,

You know I never kid.

How come we just got one day and had to share it with Charlie?

Noble

Bro. Noble

Just when I start giving Jeff a bad time, he has offered to try to teach me something new.

I hope a picture of our sawmill shed appears.  We were cutting some 6x6 cedar for a pole building and didn't have any use for the side lumber.  We decided to try making some rustic siding for our mill shed.  On the right in the background you might see our OSHA house.

Jeff

You danG near got it by yer self there Noble.  :D

Just remember that the tags in the code use these [ and]

not{ and} if you use the second kind only the link to the picture will apear, not the picture. Nice try!

Jeff

Tom

You mean they sent him away to New York?   Must be a Federal thing huh?  Must've been bad to get sent to NEW YORK CITY !!  ::)

Jeff

Paul_H

I'll bet that was exactly what Woodman said, just before they nabbed him. :o
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

CHARLIE

What! Woodman was sent to a Federal Prison in New York for 3 days! :o  Must be some kind of Tax rap. That's the guv'ment fer ya though. It probably cost more to ship him to and from New York for 3 days than just plain house arrest. I wonder who watched his mill for him while he was servin'?

Noble, I think me and you share July 21st since we've been using it for 16 or 17 years before Jeff came along. I figure we're just letting Jeff borrow it. ;D

By the by (that's English for by the way) ya keeps Croakers in a Croaker sack.  I don't know where a person would keep a Hogmollie..... ::)
Charlie

Bro. Noble

Charlie,

Never knew anyone that wanted to keep a hogmollie.

Probably someone eats them.

Used to be an old fellow lived nearby.  Lived out of the woods and creek,  raised a garden, sold a little shine.

He said he never came across anything he couldn't eat cept fer Yellar Hammer.

Noble

Don P

Been wondering what happened to my yellar hammer.

Bro. Noble

Hey did you see that Woodman was posting yesterday.  Is he out or was he using a computer in the big house?  Maybe they let him out for his BIRTHDAYS?

Happybirthdays Woodman!!
I just get one and have to share it with Jeff and Charlie.

Noble

Dugsaws

Awesome! I would like to build a small cabin for weekend getaways in my spare time  ;D
Doug

Thank You Sponsors!