iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cryogenics Bandsaw Blade ??

Started by GF, August 03, 2005, 04:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GF

Okay here is a question that may seem a little strange.  ::) Has anyone ever cryoed a bandsaw blade down to -310 degrees?  Below are the % of wear resistant increase in the steels.  I have found a couple of places that do bandsaw blades up to 2" at about $1.50 per foot.  I am curious at to if anyone has tried this and documented the outcome? ::)  Or possibly just the tips of the blade.

D2
High Carbon/Chromium Die Steel
817%

S-7
Silicon Tool Steel
503%

Standard Steel
420%

0-1
Oil Hardening Cold Work Die Steel
418%

A-10
Graphite Tool Steel
264%

M-1
Molybdenum High-Speed Steel
225%

H-13
Chromium/Moly High-Speed Steel
209%

M-2
Tungsten/Moly High-Speed Steel
203%

T-1
Tungsten High-Speed Tool Steel
176%

Cpm-10V
Alloy Steel
131%

P-20
Mold Steel
130%

Martensitic Stainless
121%

Kirk_Allen

There was a company at the shootout that does it but it was something like $4.00 per lb.  $1.50 per foot seems outragious.

They had not really gotten into the bandmill cyro because the blades are so cheap anyway.  Due to flex life, which cryo wont change much it would not be cost effective for the typical 1 1/4-2" bands, according to them.

I know it works on other stuff real well.  One of my barrels on my 220 swift was cryoed and lets just say its a tack driver! 

Daren

If I can cut through a nail with it and still cut straight, it would spend a buck on it. Bands are cheap, and resharp cheap. Cryo is good for some things (drag bike motors for example), but I get my moneys worth out of my bands before I do something stupid like saw the dog or some tramp metal, niether of which the deep freeze would help.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Furby

I've cut through nails with the Munks and still cut straight..............

GF

I was looking at without a cryo blade you may get a total of 8,000 bd ft with 8 sharpenings, if a blade had been cryoed and you even get 200% more wear resistance, then that same blade would get 24,000bd ft with the same 8 sharpenings. 

I was looking at the cost for my bandsaw blades, I use 18' 1 1/2" blades that are running right at the $30.00 mark each. 

GHRoberts

GF ---

I have read information supplied by speciality steel mills. They seem to indicate that of the common steels only O-1 and A-1 benefit from the cyro process.

But for $30 to cyro one blade, you don't have much to lose.

Thank You Sponsors!