iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Extra Large Logs

Started by Fla._Deadheader, July 31, 2005, 09:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

We keep hearing rumors of some extra large logs in the river. No way to get them on the Bandmill. For the Swinger guys, how would you saw a 10 foot dia. log to it's best advantage ??

We are thinking to start with a blade, working down to a decent width, then changing to the Slabber.

Then, when things get too wide for the Slabber, change back to the blade, then finish up with the Slabber.

Is this confusing enough ???   Any ideas ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

HORSELOGGER

I dont know of any saw that can handle a "10 "foot diameter. Is that the right figure harold?
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

DanG

I tell ya what.  You find those babies and get'em outta the river, and I'll bring the MD down there and saw'em up for ya. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Correct size. and we want SLABS, Dan.  Not knockin that MD.
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

:D :D :D  Ya got a market fer 10' wide slabs? ???  Get y'self a 10' chainsaw and go to it. ;D

OK, just pullin' yer chain there, but the MD can do it while producing 12" wide side lumber.  You'd hafta invent something to cut the big slabs with, though.  Ackshully, I got the whole thing right here in my head.  You'll hafta come up here and dig the pieces out, though. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Ackshully, Ya ever heard of Conference Room tables ???  ;) ;)

We been thinkin of sawing slabs down to 5' wide log , then saw boards until we get down to 5' wide log again.

There's gotta be a way to do this, short of turning the log ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

Sure there's a way.  Several of'em as a matter of fact.  Ya can't let yer thinkin' get in a rut, though.  Can ya get enough really big logs to make the invent'n process pay off?

Pender came up with a slabber to fit on the MD, but I can't remember how big it was.  Seem's like it was in the 5' range though.  He ain't mentioned it in a long time.

I don't see why you couldn't do it with a big, overgrown chainsaw mill.  You wouldn't have to use a chainsaw engine.  They make some great big bars for cut-off saws that would do the trick.

Timburr

If you want live-edged slabs off a 10' diam. log, only the top and bottom 1 foot of the log can be utilised before the '5 foot width'  is exceded, and I don't think they'll make the best of slabs, 'cos of the narrow angles of the edges. But if you want square-edged 5 foot wide slabs then that is a whole different ball game.
For over-sized logs, I have made a kit for mounting my Lucas to the log, instead of a conventional floor mount.
I would mill the top and bottom off, 'til it's 5' wide, sit it upright and slab from top to bottom. Sorry, but it does mean turning it though smiley_sweat_drop You'll have 36 or so 3" slabs 8) then instead of a paltry 6.
When are you able to clarify the rumours ???

Tim
Sense is not common

Dan_Shade

do these logs tend to have lumber move much as it's drying? or is it old enough all the stress has kinda "given up" in there?

you could probably get some sort of big bar rigged up with like 3/4 harvester chain or something to slab it alaskan style.  Finding the bar in the first place would be the hard part, but perhaps that could even be made.

sounds like a lot of work, but wow would that be fun :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Fla._Deadheader

NOW we're gettin sumwhere.  ;D ;D

Forgot about ole Frank, Hey Frank  ??? ??? ???

I got lotsa ideas, Dan. Ya outta know that by now.  ;D :D

That ole Boy, in Waldo, has a 10 foot long chainsaw bar. He youster crosscut them Buckeye Burl logs to make 10-12 foot dia. tables. I done seen that bar, pokin outta the rafters at his place.

Suspending that bar flat ways and keepin it flat might be a trick.  ??? ???
Once ya get into the cut, it should remain flat.

For what the slabs would fetch, price wise, a crane to roll the log would be a reasonable cost.  Just can't see cuttin up a big log into 1 X 6's or such  ::)

Where's all them Swinger fellers at ???????????

Sounds like more than 1 log in the River. We hope to start the search in a couple of days.  8) 8)

Sawed a order for someone in Charleston, yesterday.  When we were talkin, the guy says he knows of a tree in some named Swamp in Charleston area, where the logs tower over him. He's 6'-4" tall. Says the tree was dropped, then they couldn't move the logs.  ::) ::)  8) 8)

First, it is ridiculed;

Dan_Shade

maybe make a big frame that tensions the bar?

it may not even need to be tensioned, just the end supported.  If'n you got a lot of junk laying around, you can probably fab up something to make it work.  the powerhead is probably a bigger problem.  a chainsaw engine probably isn't strong enough. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Fla._Deadheader

Been lookin at a 25 HP or so, Vertical shaft Kohler or Honda. Gearing it up a little should provide plenty of speed and power.

Buildin a extra wide slabber would be no big deal. Settin up around 12 feet off the ground might be a trick. Course, they do rent scaffolding.  ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

twoodward15

bettr get you a 55 gallon drum o' fuel to run that thing.  I sure hope you post some pics of that one.  They would be just awesome to see and even better in real life.  Sound like it's time to build another sawmill to me!!!!  Get you some big wheels or make it a 6 wheeled mill and a couple rolls of sawblade and "gitrdone"  If you had a 10 foot bar, you'd have about 25 feet of sawchain to move.  You think 25 h.p is enough to turn all that and cut wood?  Mabe find some sort of big hydraulic motor that you coud runn off of a gas engine or tractor pto or something, a handle on each end and a lot of people to pull the bar through in shifts  ;D
     Please post pics if you can!!!
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Tom

I think you're best initial bet is to copy the rig at Tom's Cypress in Waldo.  He was getting the job done and it wasn't taking a 3/4 harvesting chain either.    Just because it's big doesn't mean that you need a big excavator.   Why turn half of the log into mulch when it might be so valuable?

If the concern is the stability of the bar, why not spend some time designing a jig that will allow the bar to be vertical?  There's nothing that says it has to be horizontal. :)

beenthere

Maybe standing the log on end, and cutting from the top down?  If some gravity is needed to maintain the cut thickness, then lean it back a few degrees, but not enough to get bow in the saw bar? Let gravity control the pace of the cut through the log.

My mind is thinking ( :o ) that a four post old car hoist might be used to run the saw up and down.

All depends on the log length, er the conference table length, if standing it on end is a even a remote possibility.

(I see Tom beat me to it - sort of-, but I'll post anyway  :) )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

Harold,
If that fellow in Waldo won't part with that bar, there are several companies that will build you custom bar.
A 10' log is going to take a bar longer then 10' anyways. ;)

Brad_S.

FDH,

You've probably seen this, but I'll post it anyhow.
http://www.lmequipmentusa.com/ls2000.htm
It's only good to 5' but I'm guessing you could fabricate one up that'll do a 10'.

The hardcopy info I have states that it uses a 30hp electric motor. "The saw is assembled onto a 5' x 12' main carriage that is mounted on four "V" wheels."
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Fla._Deadheader

Forgot to answer Dan-shade question. The old growth timber is-was very stable. When submerged for many years, the colors and stability of the logs are awesome. We cut "swamp" logs, that were never really submerged fulltime, and they sometimes move when cutting.

The submerged logs hardly ever move, even a little bit.  ;) ;) ;D ;D

Knew a logger in Arkyland, what welded 3 bars together, to saw down a big red Oak. Bar was over 8' long.  ::) ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

smwwoody

FDH

If you decide to go with the chainsaw bar idea I am a dealer for GB bars and I can get them guys to build just about any bar you would think up.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks, Woody

Good Link, Brad_S. Thanks
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

Harold, Harold, Harold.  I thought you said you had run a MD before.  You should know that it will cut a lot more than a 1x6.  Mine will do a 4x12, and with the big edger, 8x12.  Most swingers cut either 6", 8" or 10" deep.  They get the wide boards by "double-cutting", or moving the saw to the other side to complete the cut.  Kinda hard ta do with 8 more feet of wood over there. ;)

Why not build a chainsaw swinger?  Me & Mr Hootie got all the parts except for that 10 foot bar in Waldo.  You could use an outboard motor for power.  Now, before you laugh at that, I HAD a buddy that built a helicopter using a 115 Evinrude powerhead.  He just plumbed a radiator onto it for cooling.  Unfortunately, he was better at building them than flying them. :-X  Just a couple of 90 degree gearboxes would let you swing the blade from vertical to horizontal. The whole thing could ride on a big frame that would be assembled around the log.  Pushing the saw through the log would be easy to engineer.

Ianab

Okay.. if I was going to do it...

Jumbo size swingblade mill with dedicated slabber. 8 or 10" cut on the swingblade and a standard 5' slabber bar.

Saw off the top of the log into normal boards until you get to where you want to cut a slab. Take out some boards from each side of the log leaving a notch on either side of the log, and a 5ft wide island in the middle. Then switch to slabber and cut out 2 or 3 slabs. Repeat as required. You are only going to get 5 ft table slabs, but then thats probably what you actually want. The rest of the timber would be normal boards so no waste.

I guess a swingblade and a slabber on the same tracks would be the easiest.

All pretty standard stuff apart from the oversize swingblade frame. Log doesn't have to be moved, apart from getting it out of the river, and the mill would still be portable.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DragonsBane

FD,
If  you find the mythical ten footers let me know. I may just have to make a trip down there to help get them outta the water. I ain't skeered of no gator either, they taste preety good when fried on a grill. 8)
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object envinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

De Opresso Liber.

Daren

DanG, you HAD a buddy who was better at making them than flying them. Does that mean what I think it does?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Fla._Deadheader

DanG, figger of speech, figger of speech.  ::) ::) :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!