iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Allergies

Started by Kevin, August 04, 2002, 03:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I`m allergic to my favorite wood ... cedar.
Any miracle cures out there ?

Tom

Kevin,

I have less sinus problems when I wear a kerchief over my nose and mouth when sawing cedar.

If it is skin contact then the only thing you can do is take frequent, soapy bathes and scratch a lot. :D

Kevin

Tom,
I`m wearing a dust mask now but it isn`t helping.
It brings on coughing and running nose, cold like symptoms.
Over the counter tablets won`t touch it.

Tom

You might have to do something serious, like see a doctor.  When I cut Aromatic Cedar, my nose plugs up and my eyes water for several days. Nothing serious but it sure is obnoxious.  It's worse when the wind is in my face..  If I saw green cedar on a damp day with the wind from my back, I don't have the problem so much.  Thank goodness I don't break out like some folks.  

Be careful with sensitivities to your eyes and nose. Those are the kinds of allergies that can cause immediate danger if you are away from help and it occurs in a serious way.  Bee stings can kill people by closing up air ways.  I don't think I've ever heard of cedar sawdust doing that but don't take any chances.

A doctor may give you an emergency kit to take to the woods.

CHARLIE

Kevin, you might try using a respirator instead of a dust mask when cutting cedar. It may not be just the dust but might also be the fumes as Tom alluded to.

I never suffered from allergies until I hit 45 years old and then something happened where about the end of August until the first hard freeze, I'm very allergic to...I think...ragweed. I was miserable. None of the over the counter stuff helped the sneezing, runny nose and itching eyes and throat and made me drowsy. Finally I went to a doctor and he prescribed Claritin. It was like a miracle. One small tablet a day and I could enjoy life again and no drowsiness. You might see if your doctor will give you a prescription and then give that a try. I also understand that Claritin will be an over the counter drug pretty soon. Maybe next year some time.  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Norm

Go to your local paint store and get a respirator to use, Western Red Cedar has the same effect on me and a dust mask doesn't really help that much.

I had the same thing happen to me that Charlie did. About the time I turned 40 I started getting allergy symptoms. Came about the same time that I had to hold the paper further away to read. My wife has always suffered from them so I really believe it was her that gave them to me ;D  

We were listening to a local talk radio program and our infoumass US Senator Tom Harkin was on. This in itself was surprising as he has avoided being on this guys program because he is a die hard conservative. He was telling about how he had suffered from allergies all his life until he met an older gentleman from Wisconsin that told him he too had the same problem and had cured it by taking bee pollen. So Senator Tom thinking he had nothing to lose tried it. After a few weeks of bee pollen tablets his allergies started to clear up. Now I don't normally listen to what politicians have to say much less Tom Harkin but my wife thought she would give it a try. Much to our surprise after using bee pollen her allergies got much better. Me being the skeptic wouldn't use them as I thought it sounded too much like snake oil. Finally she talked me in to it and after a couple of weeks I noticed that my allergies were getting better. Now when the allergy season starts I just add one or two bee pollen caps to my morning vitamins and don't have the problem.

And no I don't own any beehives or even stock in their company ;D this is totally unsolicited.

Tom

I'm really lucky.  I'm not going to be 40. :D

Kevin

I`m doing Allegra now and it won`t even fizzle cedar allergies.
I do have paint mask and I haven`t tried that yet.
Bee pills, interesting and worth a try.
Thanks for the advice.
Tom, you`re going to turn 40 ... again!  ;)

ElectricAl

My wife and I both have Allergies, so being the great parents we are, we gave the gift to our two boys.

Bee Pollen capsules work. But better yet, get Honey from a bee keeper closest to you. The bee's make honey from pollens in your area. Store bought honey is not as effective because the product is heated to a point were some or all of the allergy fighting benefits are lost.

Peanut butter and honey sandwiches, honey on cereal, hamburgers, etc.

We use honey year round to keep the immunity up.

Another quick relief product is Natural vitamin C (chewable works fastest).  You can get substantial relief in 5 minutes or less. ::)

The brand we use is American Health and is a 500 mg tablet.
"Natural" is better.

We can provide more information on Vitamin C if needed.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Linda

Domestic bee pollen is what you want, be sure it isn't from another country or it probably won't have the right pollen in the capsule.  Same with honey (store bought honey isn't always from an area that has the same plants as your area).  It doesn't taste very good either, because the pasturization process alters the taste a lot.  Unfortunately, bee pollen only works to provide immunity if the bee's use the pollen you are allergic to.  It doesn't help me with my cedar, pine, walnut or grass allergies (the bee's seem to like flowers :D).

Vitamin C is actually a natural histamine blocker.  It will help with any allergy symptoms, but recommended doses for allergies are 2000 mg (spread out through the day, because it is water soluble, and your body won't retain it if you take too much at a time).

Hope this helps!

Linda

Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Kevin

Thanks very much for that information and I`ll be asking around first thing tomorrow.
I had it bad last year, one doctor said I would have to learn to live with it.
Turned out to be Wheat Germ in the Cheerios cerial I was eating.
Seems more and more people have allergies today.
Thanks again.

Ron Scott

I know what you mean and it seems to get worst each year.

When I'm working it heavy oak and white pine stands during the early spring it takes my breath away to the point I can hardly breathe. This just started happening a couple years ago.
~Ron

Jeff

I can no longer saw Ash or very dry maple. It causes what I would guess is an asthma attack. Gets so bad I have to leave the mill. Cant catch my breath and loud weezing. Came on since I turned 40. The ash and older maple now is sawn exclusively at our other mill.

It got to the point where I told them if an ash log roles up to my carriage or a gray maple, to " I'm oing home, call me at when jake gets them sawed and the dust has cleared". They make a point now to sort out every one, cause thats all it takes.  I had a couple spells that were scary. took a while to narrow down the cause.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Linda

Jeff,

Be careful with asthma!!!  It's nothing to mess with.  You should get a peak flow meter (your doctor or pharmacist will help).  Establish your normal "peak expiratory flow" and when you are below 75% of your normal, you could be in trouble very easy without a breathing treatment.  A lot of people live with allergies and or asthma for years or even a lifetime without knowing it!  I knew I had allergies to pine, paint and a few other things, but I had no idea how bad they really were.  When I turned 33 I was starting to figure out that any petroleum products (inhaled, ingested, or even absorbed) would cause problems for 3 days (migraines, night coughing, shortness of breath, inability to concentrate and others).  Then one day I accidentally got too close to a running skid loader.  I didn't realize it until I started coughing so bad I could hardly stand up.  I had disappeared away from the workers and thank God my kids saw me.  The kids told my husband that "mom was having a heart attack or something".  When he got to me, my breathing was so labored I sounded like a fog horn about to stop working.  In fact I thought I was going to stop breathing before I got a breathing treatment.  Well, I'm still alive by the Grace of God!

It happened so quick!  Do be careful!  All of you!

Kevin,

You mentioned how more and more people seem to have problems.  You are right and it's because of all the petro-chemicals in the air.  Pollution, indoor and outdoor, appears to be a large contributor to a lot of medical problems.

Paul,

Thanks for the welcome!

Linda

Corley5

I have allergies also.  White cedar doesn't both me unless it is very dry with the bark on.  Then it dries me right out.  My throat gets super scratchy, contents of my nose and sinuses turns hard rock hard and my eyes won't hardly tear.  Really miserable.  I have a bout with them when the snow first melts in the spring.  I think this round is from a mold.  The 1st part of May something else comes around and I don't feel the best.  Haying season tears me up.  This year I figured out what causes my problems with the hay.  Brome grass.  Pure orchard grass hay and my nose doesn't hardly run and I sneeze very little.  Brome grass hay and I'm miserable.  From the 4th of July until the first of August I'm usually pretty good then I sneeze until we get a good hard killing frost.  Then I'm good all winter until the cycle starts again with the snowmelt.
Grain dust is the absolute worst for me.  Dust from oats and wheat especially will just about do me in if I don't wear a mask and even with a mask I still get symptoms.  I'd call it asthma.  The last time I dealt with some wheat I had to get outside after only a few minutes and didn't know if I was going to get my breath back.  Pretty scary.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

CHARLIE

Greg, I really think you and Kevin would benefit by taking Claritin during the times that you are sneezing and having problems with hay or grass or weeds.

I'm not sure what to tell you or Jeff about your asthma attacks but l do think you should carry an inhaler with you in case you have an attack and can't breathe. Your doctor would know which would be best. Probably Albuterol or Flovent.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

My favorite philosopher, Brother Dave Gardner, asked the question, "What is the most important thing to sustain life?".

Answers ranged from food and water to love. He said "No, man, It's air!.  You can live for days without those other things but....take away air...  ?

Bibbyman

Didn't someone say the ultimate cause of death is lack of oxygen to the brain?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

I don't know....may have.  If that's the case then I've known some walking dead. :D

Linda

I think Charlie's idea about an inhaler is excellent, if you don't already have one, talk to your doctor.

I would add another thought...an "EpiPen" (Epinephrine Auto-injector) for allergic emergencies (anaphylaxis) is something I always carry.  It is good to have, just in case, especially if you are a long way away from the nearest hopital!  Your doctor has to prescribe this as well.

Linda

DanG

Air, food, water, all things that are necessary to sustain life. Getting oxygen to the brain is one of the processes that is essential to this system. So, what's the bottom line?  I think one Doctor came up with it in a very succinct death report:  "His condition became incompatible with survival."
 :o :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Kevin how is the Honey working out?

Right now I am miserable. Dont know if I am sick or if I have bad allergies. My Sisters all developed allergies in their late 30s and early 40s after never having them. They told me my time was coming.  All I know is is my nose is runny my head  and face hurt in different spots depending which way its tipped I am sneezing and I have a cough. Allergies?

I took some over the counter sinus/allergy med but not hardly any relief. I'd rather take honey. I actually turned down a trip to the cabin because of how I am feeling.

CHARLIE

DanG it Jeff ya gotta get that wax out of your ears and listen to me!  There is some good prescription allergy medicine on the market now and there isn't any sense in suffering anymore.  I can't tell you how miserable I used to get with itchy eyes and throat, sneezing up to 25 times in row...often....and runny nose. My only refuge was the shower or my bedroom where I had an air purifier running.

Go to the DanG doctor, you'll have to loosen up your wallet just a tad and get a prescription for some Claritin or Clarinex or Flonase and you'll be astounded at the relief. There is no comparison with the over the counter crap which usually doesn't do much but make you drowsy. I've taken Claritin for quite a while now, every year from August  to the first hard freeze and I don't get drowsey and have very few allergy symptoms.

Another thing you need to do, if you haven't already, is buy a room air purifier. Put it in the room where you are working and then move it to the bedroom when time to go to bed. It really makes a difference. Plan to spend over $100 for a good one. Mine is made by Honeywell.

Now......kwitcherbellyachin and get out there and do something about it. There is no excuse to be miserable from allergies.
Charlie

Jeff

Charlie its because Paul Bunyans feet are in Michigan. Thats what I am allergic to.

Thank You Sponsors!