iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

demand for slabber

Started by TeenSwinger, July 29, 2005, 10:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeenSwinger

Do you swingers find alot of demand for slabbing?
In the two months that I have owned my mill, I have had 2 requests for slabs, so I was wondering if it was that common or is that unusual?
Also, what would you guys charge to slab someone else's wood?
So far I just cut down so far and the flipped the log on the bunks to the flat side down ang then cut down to close to four inches and then let my Dad clean it up on his WM. I would appreciate your in input ;)
Jacob
Peterson ATS 827  Nyle L200  Ebac 800  Bridgewood M-562

Norm

It depends on your market Jacob, when people show up at my shed to look at lumber one of the things I get lots of attention on is the big slabs of walnut I do. Keep in mind that I can only cut 28"s but most woodworkers are used to much smaller. One of the reason I'd like to own a swinger is for the wide slabbing ability. As far as doing it for custom cutting I do almost none of that so can't really say what the demand for that would be.

woodbeard

I have found my old chainsaw mill to be a good compliment to my Peterson mill. If I want to cut a wide slab, I just cut like I normally would with the Pete, taking off boards until I get down to the width I want, then run the chainsaw mill thru it. Since the most time consuming part of chainsawmilling is setting up for the first cut, this works out real well. Plus, I get a bunch of boards out of what would normally be waste.
As for the price, charge what you feel your time is worth- as you can see, it is not simply a matter of so many board feet. Also keep in mind that when these slabs are used, they are pretty much used just the way they come off the mill, so you are providing much of the labor for the end product. When I have cut them, they have been from logs I bought, so I dont know what I would charge just for the sawing, but I would definitely price it so that I got at least as much per hour as for regular sawing, probably even half again as much.

TeenSwinger

Thanks for the replies. I have thought that I should get more for the slabs then just the bd.ft. but I did not know where to start.

sigidi

Jacob,

I do a good amount of slabbing with my Lucas and slabbing attachment, but when I say that, it's probably about 30% of total log volume. I charge on an hourly rate for slabbing, and most times I feel folkes who own th etimber come out much better off.

Like has been said already, a slab is used almost as is, not much more work to a slab, and when you consider the time expense needed to grow a nice WIDE log, you start to thinking that, what you have just cut is very valuable!!!

I recently did over $700AU in one day of slabbing, all logs where 5m long or 15 foot and the logs where 600mm or 2 foot in diameter. I'd say the chap would have had a minimum of $5,000AU worth of slabs once we finished and this price would double once dried!! So given this situation $700 for a days work is terrific, but when it produces more than 7x the cost in product, then that is chea[ for the owner.

Any q's feel free to chew my ear
Always willing to help - Allan

Kedwards

I dont slab for other people ..its just too much work even on an hourly rate and I try to keep a reason why they want to visit me. If you slab for someone else that diminishes the demand for YOUR slabs. Most people  are not going to buy a 12K piece of equipment for a dozen slabs. The only alternative for slabbing would be an even split of the wood as payment. This rationale has *pithed off a few customers, but I gave them the number to Baileys and said buy your own slabber. I generally try to stay cordial but I am not in the business of competing against yourself. We have enough troubles with everything going to china, mexico and india without short selling a major + for your business.
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

TeenSwinger

Thanks Kyle,
I see your point.

Fla._Deadheader

Jacob, here's a better point.  BUY some BIG logs. Most guys can't cut them. Then, you get the Market. Cherry, Sycamore and Oak, among others will make tremendous tables.

Here's todays Happy Customer.

These slabs we cut yesterday, from 1 log. Took off a healthy slab, took off 1 nice 1X board, then took off 5 slices 1½" thick. The pieces measure from 22" to 26" wide on the small end, 8+ feet long.

The guy was so happy, HE helped load them.  ;) ;D ;D ;D

We sold the 4 slices for $700.00. One had a heart check and might open up too wide. Told him we would finish sawing the log next week and save out one for exchange if he needs it.  We get $200.00 and up for these pieces, unless several are purchased at once.

We still can get probably 4 more slabs, IF we turn about 115° and saw the other wide area. The log was very tapered and has a void in the third side.

BIG Cherry slabs should bring that or more, I would think, BUT, ya gotta get the word out that you have them. Custom Builders love this stuff.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

stumpy

I know there are no dumb questions, but i'm sure this one will seem like one.
How do you saw slabs with a swinger when the blade (I think) is only about 20" diam.?????
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

woodbeard

Well, you can get one big slab per log if you cut down till you have a wide flat face, then flip the log over and then do the same on the opposite side. You are then left with the big slab.
To get more, a slabbing attachment is available which is a long chainsaw bar that goes in place of the blade.. kinda.

Kedwards

heres how..

and the end result..

thats 25" diameter friend..

this one is 48" at the flare..

His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

Ianab

What Woodbeard said... if you dont have a chainsaw slabber of some kind.

This is the result  :)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Arthur

Lindsay at D&L Doublecut now has all our blueprints for the EcoSaw Mini ChainMill and should be able to supply within a few weeks or sooner.

Its basically a MiniMill but with only a slabbing attachment.

you need to use your own chainsaw for the cheaper version but can be supplied with upto a 13hp petrol dedicated slabbing unit.

Should be less than US$4000 including shipping.  I will upload some pics as soon as I have reduced their sizes.

Rockn H

Arthur, I'd like to see the pics.  It sounds interesting.

johncinquo

FDH, what was that fella going to do with those slabs?
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Fla._Deadheader

He is building a table with them, John. He is 1 of 13 kids and has 10 of his own.  :o :o :o  He NEEDS a BIG table for get togethers.  ::) ::) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!