iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dustbunny

Started by sprucebunny, July 28, 2005, 03:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

I cut up my first log today 8) 8) It was a blast...... except the wind blowing the wrong way ::)

Thank you very much to Marcel for meeting me in Quebec City to help with everything. I really appreciate it. M. Gilbert showed me how to coil a blade and it wasn't too hard or scary but we should have had gloves on

This is the saw on the trailer safely home . The roads were very rough in Quebec.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sprucebunny

It took a bunch of jockeying around to get the saw and it's trailer on my trailer and to unload I needed my support equipment ;D

All I had around to cut up was a crummy chunk of beech with sweep and lots of other defects.
The most handy thing around my sawmill today was a sawzall ::)    had to free the blade a couple of times 'cause the dogs slipped on my little log. But the saw cut EXCELLENT 8) I'm very happy.

This was my second attempt at cutting a spiral. Didn't get quite as far the first time . Should have the spiral thing mastered soon. :D :D :D

MORE LOGS      I NEED MORE ;D

sandmar

CONGRATULATIONS SB! yup...you dun got it....more logs...more logs....more logs  ::) Have fun!

Sandmar

beenthere

Great going and thanks for the pics. Hope the long hair is tied up when working around the saw or anything turning.  ::)

I expect you knew that already, but ..... just in case.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sprucebunny

For those who are thinking about buying a sawmill these are the reasons I chose this one.

Honda engine 20 hp
20" band wheels
heavy wall, stiff, welded frame
removable trailer
stable 4 post head that is nice looking... not boxy ;D
cuts 20 feet +
all parts that aren't welded on beautifully are available at any auto parts store
And most of all  It's green ! :D

This is alot of saw for the money. I'm sure it's not perfect for everyone but it suits my needs . It's simple, strong and bunnyproof ;D :D :D

Thanks guys ;D

Yes...that is a rare shot of my hair

Fla._Deadheader

Hey SawBunny. Nice Mill .  8) 8)  Like the support equipment.  ;) ;) ;D

I just gotta ask. You were waiting for a couple of weeks to pick up the mill. WHY did you not have a whack of logs standing by ???  ::) ::) ;D ;D :D :D

I pity the Timber around your place,  now.  ;) ;) :D :D :D

That first board is a sweet feeling, no ???  :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sprucebunny

Thanks, Harold.

Where I live at the moment and where I have land with wood are not the same place, they're an hour apart. Maybe this weekend I'll tow the saw up to the land or load up some logs to bring home.

What I really want is a BIG log to saw up ;D

OUI ! The first log is a good feeling 8)  Cutting a log into someting useful will be even better ;D

Patty

WAY TO GO, JOAN!!!  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

The saw looks like a really nice one, you did good. I'll never forget sawing up our first logs. We sawed down the trees, skidded them up to the mill, and made ourselves some LUMBER!  8)  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Bibbyman

Say!  I've been looking for a way to saw boards from logs with defects all the way around.  Now you've found the way - the spiral cut!

Is that a standard feature or does it take special training?  ;D

Congradulations on the new mill! 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

leweee

Congrats... Spruce(sawyer)bunny you got sawdust in your viens now. 8)

Only one thing finer than maken them boards....is building something with them boards. ;D Play safe & have FUN :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Dan_Shade

nice!  I've found uncoiling blades to be a bit more hairy than coiling them.  Gloves are a very good idea.

congrats on the new toy :) :) :)

p.s. it's nice to have somebody show you how to coil the bands, it took me forever to figure it out, and wow is it easy after you know how to do it!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Weekend_Sawyer

Uncoiling blades is easy for me.

I just throw it on the ground, teeth up, and it jumps from a coil to a big circle! :)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Teri

ALRIGHT!!!!!!!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Enjoy your new toy!  ;D

Tom

It's time to go to the Knowledge base, Sprucebunny... er.....  Dustbunny.

Opening a band blade

Closing a band blade

There's some neat stuff there, written by members over the years.  :)

mike_van

Weekend Sawyer - I used to just throw 'em too - no gloves 'cause it was too hot - One of those tips put a slice in a finger that could have used a stitch or two - I stopped using that method after that -  Sprucebunny - Nice mill, will there be a large clearcut near you soon? :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Tom

Throwing a blade can damage teeth too.  It's better, and more impressive to customers, if you use a little finesse.  Then you go on about your business and listen to the oo's and ah's behind you while you smile and try to be nonchalant.  :D

sprucebunny

Thanks to you all  :)

Mr Gilbert showed me very well. I've got one of those car window shades that coils up and I could never deal with it but the blades are easy.I surely do like finesse ;D
I got Woodmizer blades .045s. They are packaged so you don't have to uncoil but it's great to know.

I always had sawdust in my veins, Leweee ...just needed something bigger than an 8+1/4 circular saw ;D As soon as I can make some useful logs , I'll make a little generator/tool shack.

Mike ...There is already too much clearcut near me. Some of my land is pretty hard to get to and could use some thinning to increase the growth of what will be left. That should yeild plenty of 5-12" spruce ... enough to build a log house or two and alot of corduroy. I bought the saw because it seemed pretty stupid to buy a log cabin kit when I had all those extra trees out there that weren't worth a logger's time to cut in a responsible way.

I'm very thankful to the Forestry Forum for helping me gain the knowledge and confidence to go this route. I had always wanted my own saw ( backhoe, skidder, etc ;D ) but I certainly couldn't have made THIS leap without the experiences shared here.

tnlogger

congrats joan now thats a good looking mill there  8) I like the color contrast between the head and frame too.
and yup dont forget drying shed, klin,then ther's planer/moulder and so on so forth. ;D
gene

sprucebunny

Thanks , Gene.

Yup...gonna cut some good size balsams into 6x6 and framing lumber and get a pole barn of some sort started.

There is a big stud mill down the road with a big kiln. I'm going to ask if they dry other lumber.
I have a litttle planer...12" will be enough for what I got that will need planing.

Stump Jumper

great pics  8) nice suport equipment  8) congrats
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Brad_S.

Tom said
QuoteThen you go on about your business and listen to the oo's and ah's behind you while you smile and try to be nonchalant.

:D :D :D :D :D I love that feeling! But it only works with people who have a shop bandsaw and have tried to do it before. Someone who's never tried it doesn't appreciate the art.

Congrats Sprucebunny. Won't be long before you have friends oo'ing and ah'ing with all that fine home made liumber! 8)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Dan_Shade

I need a video of that opening thingy :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

woodbowl

There is good reason sometimes to throw a blade to open it..............Had a dog get after me one time so I threw a cocked blade at him. You know, that dog didn't bother me any more....Dog gone!   ;D ;D ;D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Norm

Furby

Way to go Joan!
8) 8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!