iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Operating Characteristics of Stihl 440 vs Husky 372XP...

Started by Woodhog, July 27, 2005, 06:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhog

I dont want to start a brand war...

We are going to purchase a new saw and  was wondering what will be the basic
difference between the 440 and the 372XP....
I see on the Husky site the 372 is a 13,500 saw but see no info on the 440 pertaining to revs...

The saw will be used for Spruce and Pine logs largest pine about 2.5 feet on the butt and same
with the spruce....but also a lot of smaller stuff about 7- 12 inches....

We always said use the Sthil when you need low speed torque and the husky for rippin off limbs
quickly...is this still true for this Sthil???

Any advice greatly appreciated...

Thanks

rebocardo

I think to compare saw to saw then it is the Stihl 660 to the Husky 372.

rahtreelimbs

I have a little experience on both saws. The 372 has a better anti-vibe system. It is tough to pick!aws a real close, even with the muffler opened up. I would make my decision on which dealer was closer and better.

Better hurry though...............372's are going fast!!! 8) 8) 8)
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

fishhuntcutwood

The 440's max factory speed is 14,000, and that's from the service manual. 

I think you will see most guys like the 372 over the 440.  I own a 440, and have used a 372 a little bit.  They're both good saws, though the 372 does have the better anti-vibe.  I don't know hp numbers of the 372, but I've read that alot of guys compare an opened up 440 with a stock 372 or somewhere thereabouts.  I think as far as on paper, and in the cut the 372 would come out on top in alot of comparisons.  That said, there's also the "in the hand" comparison.  And in my hands, the 440 felt better.  Don't know why, it just did.  I'm a Stihl guy, so that may be part of it, but I was very seriously thinking about getting a 372 before they're all gone, and the one I played with just didn't do it for me.  And I've got an opened 440 and 460, so I really didn't have the need for that saw anyway.  But I'd guess that most guys would recommend the 372, and availability and quality of a local dealer.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

lucky_cutter

Get your hands on both of them. Go over routine maintainance on both,chain tension,air filter etc, and if possible do some cuts with both. This is also a great way to learn if the dealer will give you the time to answer your questions, or is only after a quick sale.  Then decide by choosing what is more comfortable for you, and what make sence to you as far as working on them. The dealer should be part of the equation as well since he will be your parts supplier and mechanic. Either saw will cut wood with ease and will give you years of service as long as you give them reasonable care. The more you learn about these two saws the better your decision will be, and the happier you will be in the long run.

SawTroll

Quote from: rebocardo on July 28, 2005, 12:18:58 PM
I think to compare saw to saw then it is the Stihl 660 to the Husky 372.

??? I think you must be referring to the 460, not the 660......

Anyway, according to both factory specs and independant dyno tests (DLG), the 440 has marginally more max power output and max torque than than 372 - and the 460 quite a lot more. In spite of that a lot of people states that in the wood the 372 should be compared to the 460 rather than the 440....
Noone has been able to to expain why this is the case in a way that I understand, though. smiley_tom_dizzy01
Information collector.

beenthere

SawTroll
Does "Chevy" vs "Ford" come to mind  ::) ::) :) :)

I cut wood alongside a good friend. He doesn't like the feel of my Stihl, and I sure don't cotton to the feel of his Husky. Just a 'feeling' we like or don't like, or one that we are accustomed to or not. IMO.  I like my dealer and no way can I get thrilled about doing business with his dealer (for other reasons  :) ). 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

David_c

I didn't want to get into this Ford/Chevy - Stihl /Husky debate. but i think the 372 to 660 is more acurate. i had my 372 first then bought a 460. the 372 out cut it all day. felt better in my hands too. when oiler went on 460 dealer let me use a 660 he had (used) and used it for a few days and would say that it was just barly faster than my 372, but much heavier. dont have 460 anymore.

SawTroll

Has anyone actually timed 372, 440 and 460 against each other with the same (or at least comparable) chain?
Or are the opinions all based on "feel", with more or less used chains of different makes and/or models?
Information collector.

ehp

the 372 is faster stock than the 440 or 460 because of the muffler but open up the stihl muffler and things are very close then, or put the dual port muffler on the stihl's and that helps alot

fishhuntcutwood

Agreed.  I have a dual port on my 440 and my 460, and it does make them new saws.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Ed

ehp,
I don't want to start a big 'ol fight here, but....
My fathers 371 will not out cut my 046.  Same chain, 20" bars & both are set to factory max rpm.
I haven't went up against a 372 yet, but a friend got one last spring......we'll find out this fall.

Ed

Chris J

Well, it took a while, but the experienced users did speak up.  My Forestryforum hat is off to you, Jeff B  ;).

No, that doesn't mean that I'm sending my hat to you  :D.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: Mucha_Nada on August 02, 2005, 01:23:38 PM
Well, it took a while, but the experienced users did speak up.  My Forestryforum hat is off to you, Jeff  ;).

No, that doesn't mean that I'm sending my hat to you  :D.

Is there another Jeff on here, or is someone calling me experienced?  ???

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

ehp

sometimes you get a good saw but I was taking an average  between the saws and timing them on video , now if your stihl came with a dual port muffler that males quite a difference compared to the muffler we get now, the 361 is in the same boat, open up the muffler and it is like a new saw

beenthere

ehp
What does it take to "open up the muffler" on a 361?  Can I do it without a potential problem?  With a sharp chain, I don't have a problem with it cutting now. But interested in what might be if I followed your 'suggestion'.  :)
I don't know what I'd do with all the extra time on my hands if I was to cut wood faster.  :)  But game to find out.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

AtLast

Ask Kevin...he WILL know...but my own pewrsonal opinion is....both have their applications...I prefer a Stihl.....but like to use a 372 for smaller plundge cut falling....but I STILL personally prefer a Stihl

ehp

take the back muffler cover  off your 361, this is so you donot get any metal into your motor when cutting 2  3/4 holes into it, I put them about 1 inch up from the bottom of this cover , yes it has a basket in the muffler but just putting these 2 holes in will really make a difference, you will need to set your saw up a little richer but it is worth the power, the 361 also makes a very good ported saw and has lots of torque

Woodhog

Thanks for all the input on my 372/440 question..

The Stihl dealer made my decision easy.. he had a demo 440 on the shelf that only had
about 6 tanks of gas thru it...it looks like new with a new bar and chain also..

I got it for about 650 USD with a new saw warranty....

Its in the shed with its 3 Husky buddies waiting for daylight tomorrow....

SawTroll

Quote from: ehp on August 02, 2005, 06:00:12 PM
.....cutting 2  3/4 holes into it, I put them about 1 inch up from the bottom of this cover.....
Are you actually saying two 3/4" holes in addision to the factory opening on the side of the muffler?
That sounds like a very open muffler to me, but I don't know much about these things.......
Information collector.

ehp

yes but remember it still has the basket part in the muffler at the ext. port , the stock hole is a real joke and it puts alot of heat into the motor , if you donot like 2 holes then but just 1 hole to keep you happy but it does make a big difference

Jeff

QuoteIs there another Jeff on here

um, yes. :)

Kind of a behind the scenes conversation between Mucha_Nada and myself.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: Jeff B on August 03, 2005, 09:38:20 AM
QuoteIs there another Jeff on here

um, yes. :)

Kind of a behind the scenes conversation between Mucha_Nada and myself.

I didn't think he was talking to me.  Makes sense.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Chris J

Sorry about that, Jeff and Jeff B, I went back and edited the post.  But I'm still keeping my FF hat; I'll want to look my best when they feature me on COPS  :D.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

fishhuntcutwood

No worries Mucha.  I'm actually a "Jeff B" as well.

Jeff (B)  :D
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Jeff

I knew there was sumpthin special about ya. :D  There always telling me Im a little "special" ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SawTroll

Quote from: ehp on August 03, 2005, 09:21:01 AM
....the stock hole is a real joke and it puts alot of heat into the motor....
Thank you for responding!
My saw is the European version, and it has a different muffler than both the Canadian and US ones. There is no spark arrestor and the factory hole on the side may be a bit bigger. I don't really think it makes mush difference vs. the Canadian one though, as the power rating is the same.

As I read your posts, the hole(s) is to be made in the back cover of the muffler. I may sound dumb, but it sounds somewhat unusual to me, so I want to be sure that I have read you correct.
Information collector.

fishhuntcutwood

SawTroll-  Here you and I are again in the wee hours of my morning, late hours of yours, the only two logged onto FF right now, talking about saws.  We're going to have to meet someday, and talk face to face.  smiley_beertoast

Anyway, I read Ed's post and thought the same thing, so thanks for asking, I'm interested as well, though I've already modded my muffler, and the hole is on the opposite side as the factory hole.   It was a pretty darn good saw to start with, but opening it up really brought that saw around.  I'm even more impressed with it now.  I still haven't figured out how to post pics here, but I put a pic up over on our other meeting place.  I think it was a thread started by CNYCountry a couple of weeks ago.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

SawTroll

smiley_beertoast It sure would have been nice to meet you, Jeff!
I got your pm, and answered it with question. The answer to the question is in your last post here, so you don't have to repeat it.
Information collector.

ehp

I have seen  them with different part numbers here but they are the same muffler, Jokers 361 that I ported is running 3 - 3/4 holes on that 361 and it is real close to the 359/357's that I have ported.

rebocardo

> I think you must be referring to the 460, not the 660......

No, that is what my local dealer (deals both S&H) said to compare side to side in the wood, for test cuts running a 32" bar, when I was comparing saws.

jokers

Hi Rebocardo,

I`m guessing that your dealer misspoke regarding the comparison between the 372 and the 660. I`m giving him the benefit of the doubt since these saws are not even close in performance when you get into wood big enough to justify the weight and expense of the 660.

The 372 vs the 460 is a different story. I`ve been telling people since the 371 came out that it was essentially, under many circumstances, on par with the 046. This was based on my personal experience. Now I have three 372s and two 460s and the story remains unchanged. The 460 has slightly more grunt than the 372s but it isn`t apparent until you get into bigger wood.

The performance of the 440 is indistinguishable from that of the 372 except that the 372 has better anti vibe. The 440 is a fantastic saw in all other ways.

Russ

SawTroll

Jokers statements above seems more logic to me than anything else I have read on this issue.....
Information collector.

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: SawTroll on August 08, 2005, 04:28:07 AM
Jokers statements above seems more logic to me than anything else I have read on this issue.....

Yep.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Thank You Sponsors!