iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ole Red Eye

Started by Sawyerfortyish, August 03, 2002, 04:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

I have an 066 stihl with the red light on the side I understand they were only made about one year and seem to out cut the normal 66. We just tryed it on an 8x8 pine with the same bar and chain that we took off another 066 and holding it wide open over the cant starting the timer when the blade hits the cant and stopping it when the cut is done it seems to be 5 tenths of a second faster  :o 8) than the other 066. Anybody else have one of these saws? Out of the two 066 saws I have this one always seems to run better.I am going to the saw compitition at the local fair today with this saw . Some of the guys competing in the show were in the mill last night talking about how hard it was to beat another guy that has red eye 66 in this show when I walked over and asked if his saw looked like this one. ;)  ;D The first reponse was where did you find that! :o Needless to say a couple of them said that now they wouldn't  be able to sleep last night knowing that there two of them in the show :D

Kevin

I haven`t heard of that model but best of luck at the fair.

Gordon

Good luck and let the chips fall where they may. No huskies allowed at the fair huh? ;) Then you would have some real competition. 8) 8) 8)

Gordon

Jeff

Take a picture! I can see the headline now,

"Foresty Forum member is a cut above the rest"  :)

Have you guys noticed the spreading popularity of the chainsaw contests at fairs?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

J Beyer

Speaking of chainsaw competitions , is there a place to have a stock saw modified besides getting it "Walkerized"  8)?  Also, is there a website dealing with issues of modifying/modified chainsaws?  Also, how could I get my county fair to have a chainsaw competion?

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

KiwiCharlie

G'day JB,

Madsens can also modify saws for you.  They are on the west coast, USA.  As for getting a comp at your local fair, maybe approach some saw dealers and see if they are interested in sponsoring something for a start, and then get in touch with the local body that organises the fairs.  Might take a bit of leg work.

http://www.madsens1.com/mainmnu.htm

Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Sawyerfortyish

Well old red eye got second by only 4 hundreths of a second out of about fifteen saws. 8) But there is controversy over the winners saws especially the small class of 3.5 and under where most of us ran between 12 and 14 seconds to make 3 cuts in a pine 8x8 he did it in under 9 seconds with a 034 I'm not a sore looser but there was a strong strange exaust smell noted in the grandstand every time he started his saws. Now I know he couldn't be using airplane fuel ;) >:( but something sure stinks and it wasn't the cattle barn  :-X but anyway we had a good time and thats what it was about no big money prizes but just alot of fun

Kevin

I heard the judges were controlled by the Russian Mafia.
You`ll need to have a Press Conference and expose this fiasco.

Frank_Pender

J. Beyer, I will check with my saw suypplier here in Dallas, Oregon.  He has suped up some pretty dance winning saws, in the past.  If you are interested let me know. :P
Frank Pender

Tillaway

I have one ... dead out in the shop.  >:(  They were only made for about a year because the ignition modules were defective (would die and sometimes catch on fire :o).  The local dealer here says that they (the saw) are throw aways.  That ignition module was discontinued so new ones are not available.  A conversion may have been available but I think Stihl may have just replaced the saws over the counter if the warranty was not up.  

The problem with the modules on the old red lights was that there was a built in rev limiter allowing the saw to turn up to about 13,000 RPM's.  If the saw tried to exceed this RPM then the ignition would only fire every other time hence limiting the RPM.  The problem was that this "miss" revolution was very hard on the crank, bearings and case and made the saw worthless as far as rebuilding.  

The one I have seems to be in very good shape and the previous owner would not have put the screw driver to it so I doubt that it ever hit the rev limiter.  The only fix is finding an old two key flywheel and ignition for it.  The ones out of an 064 will work.  I found a two key flywheel and ignition module for mine but I'm not sure this combination will work.  It does not match the book.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Sawyerfortyish

Tillaway
   From what I understand these saws were made two years the first year they had problems the second year they were real runners. I think I have the latter one because it never gives me any trouble and runs like a raped ape! :D

J Beyer

The spark style of rev limiter is the hardest on engine parts.  The engine will only take it for so long before parts start flying (where's the Superman Smiley?).  Too bad saws don't have a throttle mounted rev limeter to reduce throttle opening to control the revs, something like the cruise control system in a moter vehicle.

Frank,

Let me know what you come up with and email me.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

johncinquo

I am surprised there wasnt a slew of places to send your saw out to posted.  If you havent found one yet let me know, I am no expert but read a couple places alot and have their info written down for when I am ready to take the next step in the need for speed.
That strange smell from the gas is usually a mix of gas, alcohol, and liquid nitrous.  You will find the guys using it easily enough, they take the stuff out of their saw that is old, and fill up from a gallon or less jug.  it is not the cheapest in the world, but better than 2nd place!  If the rules don't say you can't run it, then I would guess it is allowed.  we have a local contest here, and I used to love it, but now they make the amatuers run with the pros and it is not quite  as much fun for us weekend saw wannabes.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Sawyerfortyish

Hey john
I found out this guy is using gocart race fuel 100 octane and conbustable 2 stroke race oil mixed at 40/1 Can't wait til next year I got a few tricks up my sleeve to!!

Seth

Hello here are a  few guys(saw builders) to talk to about modifing saws
The master Ken Dunn 530-589-2744
Dennis Greffard 250-674-3562
Burnell Macthu 819-281-8495
Chancy Varney 802-373-5169

Tom

Hello there Seth, I thought we had lost you.  That looks like it should be a dirt bike in that picture. :D

Seth

Hello Tom, I have been busy but I hope to be posting more often. That's the 088KD Hotsaw That Ken Dunn built me,she really rips . Seth

Tom

It looks like it.  Where's the foot pegs. :D

Sawyerfortyish

Hey Seth neat looking saw I'm still playing around with stock saws you guys look like your havin all the fun. Iv'e been over on that other chainsaw fourm lurking about and takin in anything I can find out. About how much not including the cost of the saw would it cost to have someone build something like you have?I know this is a vague question the sky is the limit depending on $$$ or how much one can afford but I guess this is one of the best places to start asking I have an old 084 iv'e been playing with but sure would like to get in on some of these modified saws. When i'm not running the mill or firewood processor I'm playing with saws.The old red eye that started this thread had to come out of retirement and go back to killing trees when my other 066 blew it's seals.Iv'e been thinking of having the red eye worked up but have been hesitant to send it out don't know what to expect back.Are you happy with whats been done with your saw?

Seth

Hello Sawyer40 The 088 has around 65% more power than stock The motor work was $1150 the custum bar I had made was $260 and a few racechains@ $100 bones, you cant get rich racing saws or speed chopping I do it for the love of a lumberjack life,and to help promote the sport. Seth

Sawyerfortyish

Well seth  I'm not getting rich logging or milling either but enjoying what I do. 8)The saw racing is somthing that goes along with my work and is enjoyable money or no money I just like like the thrill of competing and trying to think of something or some way to cut faster next time.
   I think I might try contacting one of the saw builders you listed and see where it leads me.

Thank You Sponsors!