iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

An unplanned Vacation (sort of)

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, July 26, 2005, 10:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

We are going to take 18 days off! The Lovely Miss Celest and I are, of course, riding to the FF picnic on Elvis The Road King.

The Sunday after we plan on heading north to see the Mackinac Mill Creek Sawmill. I have read a couple of posts about it here and want to see that.

From there we are going to cross the bridge to the UP and turn Left and ride across the UP. At this point don't have a definate plan.  We want to see the Plains mabe Mt Rushmore. We are going to set a lazy course for Colorado Springs, Co and visit some friends.

From Colorado will have to see how many days are left and what the weather is like. We would like to take a southern path home.

So there you go, sort of an unplanned vacation.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Norm

Sounds like fun Jon, if you happen to go through Iowa stop in for a warm meal and a soft bed. :)

johncinquo

While your riding through the UP theres a couple good spots to see.  Tahquamenon falls are pretty cool and a great brew pub is there.  Pictured rocks is to the west and north.  A trip out to Copper Harbor has some great views of the lake  on both coasts, it reminded me of pacific coast HWY, and offered some of the best twisty roads I have found in MI.  I did a big loop on my bike up there last year and had a blast. 

Dont forget MI has a helmet law! 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Haytrader

Why don'tcha come by and see Boot Hill in Dodge City, Ks. and stop by here.
Ya got the same offer here as at Norm and Patty's.
http://www.boothill.org/

Dalton Gang hideout at Meade, Ks.

Nice Air Museum at Liberal, Ks.
http://www.liberal.net/info/events/midamerica.html

We have a nice little bat cave not far from here called Alabaster Caverns near Freedom, Ok. that is worth the stop.
http://www.shopoklahoma.com/alabaste.htm
Haytrader

beenthere

For anyone going West or East on I-90 through SD, there is an out-of-the way taxidermist just a couple miles north of Burke, SD that has a most spectacular display of his taxidermy, called Pete's Taxidermy.
http://www.petestaxidermy.com/

Carol and I stopped there this winter, and it was well worth the stop. Probably an hour off the beaten path, but the quality and depth of their work is awesome.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

moosehunter

That sounds like the best vacation ever 8). I wanna go :'( But my bike is to old and I ain't gots the time. I hope you can find time to keep us posted on your trip! That is, after the Piggy Roast, 'cause you can tell us in person up to that point.
Have fun, drive safe. See you in Harrison!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Weekend_Sawyer

Norm, Haytrader,

Not knowing which route we are going to take home from Colorado kinday makes it hard to plan on visits BUT.
If we take the direct route home I'll be coming your way! If you don't mind mabe you could IM me with your phone numbers and If my wanderings bring me that way I would like to atleast stop in and say Hi.
AND not one of Mama's boys has EVER turned down an offer of a meal.

Jon

Weekend_Sawyer

Beenthere, we should be heading out 90 to the Black Hills.
Might have to check it out!

Moosehunter see ya there! ;D

Tom

When you take that left on the North side of the Mac, you should consider waving at Chet as you pass by.  He lives over there by wisconsin somewhere and is a rider too. :)

Ernie

I love this thread :)

Takes me back to my youth in Ontario in the fifties most memories are great except for the knees and elbows :( and my old AJS 500 with the rigid rear end and the long autumn trips in  Canada through Algonquin Park with my sweetie.  I wonder where she is now ;)
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

beenthere

Another I-90 South Dakota attraction that I enjoyed was at Murdo, SD and it was the Pioneer Car Museum. Tons of old things there, mostly old cars, buggies, tractors, cycles, and all sorts of odds-n-ends. Not the ordinary touristy type stop, and features an elongated car as its sign.  Needed a pit-stop and a stretch, or would have driven right by. But we instead stopped, enjoyed, and drove right by the Wall Drug campaign.  :)

Our drive south of Mt. Rushmore into Custer State Park included buffalo herds and some 'road' donkeys (if they attack a motorcycle like they attacked the car, licking the salt off, and trying to get treats through the windows, it wouldn't be a pleasant drive  :) ) along with lots of other wildlife as well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Quote from: Tom on July 26, 2005, 05:34:54 PM
When you take that left on the North side of the Mac, you should consider waving at Chet as you pass by.  He lives over there by wisconsin somewhere and is a rider too. :)

Chet will be here...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Yeah, but he could bug him when he gets home. :D :D

Hey!  I got a better idea.  Chet could ride to the pig roast and they could cross the UP together going home. ;D

Jeff

Your having Chet leave before he gets all the work I got planned for him done...

Tom

Oh!  .......I thought he already had everything running.  :D

SwampDonkey

Chet's gonna need a secretary to make appointments with you all. ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Rockn H

If your going to be in Colorado Springs you should go on into New Mexico.  Northern NM is really nice.  Then there's the Palo Verde canyon south of Amarillo.  Hit 287 on down to I20 over to Jackson Ms and run the Natches trace up to the Blue grass and run Parkways all the way home.

Of course if your going to be in Colorado the ride across I 70 to Utah is great.  Some nice spots to stop along the Colorado river and really spectacular views before you cross into Utah.  Then there's the arches around Moab.  Drop down through nw nm to gallop and along the way it's cattle country with rolling hills and lots of great old ranch buildings.   Just obey the speed limits, those tribal police have no since of humor. ;D

You can take a train ride from Williams AZ up to the rim of the grand canyon.  It's a great trip in itself.  There's the pretrefied forest out side of Holcomb and you can pick up a slice of tree there for around $40,000. :D ::) :'(   There's a rock forest outside of Jackson Ms too. ::)

There's something to see everywhere you go,hard to see it all, what a country.

Tom

Jeff,
Chet might have to leave early if they're gonna do all that. 8) :-\

chet

Ain't nottin' I'd like better den ta head out on another two wheeled road trip.  8)   But it's gonna have ta wait 'till next year, this summer has just been way to busy.  :-\
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Rockn H

If they took the southern route home and ran the Natches Trace Parkway they could stop off and check on CK Tate. ::)

Weekend_Sawyer

7 more days and we will be on the road!

I can't concentrate at work, been looking over maps thinking about routes, talking about possible places to see and things to do,  I beleive my workmates are ready for me to leave too! :D

Haytrader

I think you have PVAS

Pre Vacation Anticipation Syndrome

:D      :D       :D
Haytrader

Jeff

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on July 28, 2005, 07:26:27 AM

7 more days and we will be on the road!

I can't concentrate at work, been looking over maps thinking about routes, talking about possible places to see and things to do,  I beleive my workmates are ready for me to leave too! :D

Well, what ever it was that you did last year that made them send you to Korea just in time for the Pig Roast... DONT DO THAT NOW!

Paschale

Quote from: johncinquo on July 26, 2005, 11:09:56 AM
While your riding through the UP theres a couple good spots to see.  Tahquamenon falls are pretty cool and a great brew pub is there.  Pictured rocks is to the west and north.  A trip out to Copper Harbor has some great views of the lake  on both coasts, it reminded me of pacific coast HWY, and offered some of the best twisty roads I have found in MI.  I did a big loop on my bike up there last year and had a blast. 

Sounds like a great trip, W_Sawyer!  Lemme echo what john says--Copper Harbor and the Keweenaw Peninsula are amazing.  I was up there just this summer, and I try to get back every year if I can.  Driving up to Copper Harbor on twisty two lane roads along the rocky, craggy shoreline of Lake Superioe has to be one of the best drives in the country!  And there are all these old copper mining ruins scattered all along the peninsula.  Plus, if you want some good food up there, just ask some of us FFers where the best places to get pastie, Lake Superior whitefish and smoked fish are! 

sunset in the keweenaw:

another pic from this summer:

the eagle harbor lighthouse after sundown

copper harbor lighthouse

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

OneWithWood

Jon,

Mount Rushmore is cool.  While you are in the neighborhood I would recomment the Devil's Tower and the Crazy Horse Monument.  Especially the CHM.  Of all the places we visited during our month long cruise of places west of the Mississippi it and Mesa Verde left the biggest impressions on me.  I think you would appreciate what is going on at the CHM.  :)

See you at the roast!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!