iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

guitar pickers in nashville ,and here, too! (banjo, fiddle, etc., also)

Started by Gunny, July 26, 2005, 08:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunny

Am amazed with some of the pics of hand-crafted instruments.  I've been plucking my Alvarez 6-string  since having fallen in love with Linda Ronstadt back in the early '70s and noticing that she played one, too. 

I guess I'd consider my "style" a fusion of blues, jazz, folk and rock.  I play the old D'Angelico (I think they're now "D'Mele") light strings for the tonal qualities.  Finer moments in life always include those sitting around with others and jamming well into the nights here at the lake. 

Started this thread to see just how many of us still play.  Always another good way to turn a homestead buck!  And I still have my original tin cup.

Roxie

I have a 1952 Epiphone six string guitar.  You could call my style....kinda awful.   :D  I play mostly old 60's folk songs like "The Times They Are A'Changin" and "Blowin in the Wind"..... the kind of songs that would make the kids groan.   ::)  The only song the kids would always ask me to play was "Black Muddy River" by the Grateful Dead.  They really liked that one for some reason.  The only song I can pick is "Teach Your Children" and even that is more of a bass note with a strum behind it.   ;D
I play STRICTLY for my own self amuzement....anything else would just be cruel!   :D
Say when

Jeff

I have a 57 Gibson electric hollow body, and a Washburn acoustic from the mid seventies. I also have an accompanying 57 Gibson Mandolin and various other instruments around the house. Fiddle, Keyboard, mouth organs and such.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

I just loaded a bunch more images in my file, but, after yesterday, I don't feel like tryin to post again.  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

MemphisLogger

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Jeff

ES125 as I remember. Bigsby tail stock. Looks a lot like the guitar Roy Clark used to play a lot.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Roxie

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on July 26, 2005, 10:27:12 AM

I just loaded a bunch more images in my file, but, after yesterday, I don't feel like tryin to post again.  ::) ::)

I sure wish you'd try ...  there is nothing in this world that makes a person tap their heels like a banjo!  To think you MADE that banjo is just incredible.  I gotta admit, I'm impressed!   :)
Say when

Fla._Deadheader

As long as YOU asked, Roxie, ;) ;D :D

We were in the business, sort of. Made a meager living for 4 years doing the Banjos and Fiddles. Here's our hand-out flyer.

Front pic on the Flyer

Inside pic of the Flyer

Our Booth set-up

Lynda's Original w/ groundhog skin

First, it is ridiculed;

Jodi

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

sandmar

Wow FDH,kewl pics. I still TRY to do a little picking on occasion. I have a Gibson Les Paul gold top from 1969...5 years longer than my wife....my first love of sorts  ::) .Also have a Takamine flattop from the mid 90s. Play a little bass and keyboards.......used to make money...now mostly noise  :-\ How many are like me and went from rock to country as the years rolled on?

Sandmar

Gunny

Jodi:

I TRY to play harmonica but it sits in its case most often since I'm one of those birds who NEEDS someone to show him how that thing is supposed to operate before, I guess, ever getting the hang of it.  I do play the cedar flute more often and piddle with the keyboard when the mood strikes.

Roxie:

I've been doing Stephen Stills' "4&20" and "For What It's Worth" for decades, along with Nash's "Oh Camille".  Love to hear you work that bass line.  "Blowin' In The Wind" is one of the most poignant songs ever penned--as meaningful today as back when Dylan wrote it.  Still doing that one too.

I was in the final set of a gig at Marty's Mecosta Bar back in the mid-'70s, doing a Harry Chapin tune-- "Sometime Somewhere Wife", when some obnoxious gal in the back of the place got to screaming for "Proud Mary."  I unplugged, packed the box away, and walked out the door to the back parking lot.  Last time I ever played for pay. 

Had the fantastic opportuity to jam with Dick Biller recently, a fellow who plays his now-passed Dad's 1964 Epi.  Dick is a bit of a legend in these parts and can knock you to your knees with his abilities.  I'd go back playing-for-pay this evening with him backing my stuff. 

Boy, it sure seems that we have quite the talent pool!  If I remember correctly, the first tune I ever memorized the words to was bluesman Dave Van Ronk's "Candy Man"; I still get off on that tune and run as many licks as I can with it. 

Maybe we could schedule an annual JAMFEST to go with the piggie-pie?  Genre doesn't matter.  It's always about the music.

Roxie

If it could ever be worked out that would be awesome!  I can do a pretty mean version of David Allen Coe's "Jack Daniels"....  and "Scars"   :D
Say when

Ron Wenrich

I played sax back in the early '60s and was in several rock & roll bands.  When I went to college I picked up banjo, but was never all that good.  More of a strummer than a picker.  In the '70s I picked up acoucstic guitar and played mainly pop songs of the day.  Then we wanted to do country rock.  Worked fine until we needed a pedal steel.  I learned that in the '80s.  I played in a few country bands, but fit in best into classic rock.  I only stopped a couple of years ago.

I have a D-38 Martin, a Sho-Bud 12 string pedal steel, a Gibson flat top, and a dobro.  Haven't learned the dobro, yet. 

I played in bands from 1963 - 2004.  Nothing steady, just something to do for beer money.  If someone asks again, I would probably do it. 

In the '70s, you could make decent weekend money.  But, drunk driving laws, and DJs have made it so bad that no one can afford to pay a band what they are worth.  You drag in $50.000+ in equipment and they want to give you $350 and charge you for beer. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Phorester

I've played bluegrass guitar since my early teen years.  (Oh come on..., it doesn't feel that long ago...).  I have a Martin D-35 and a Gibson J-45, both acoustic, no onboard pickup.

I've played pretty regular for the last 25 or so years.  Had a Bluegrass band for a few years, until cancer knocked the stuffing out of me 3 years ago.  Running a serious band takes a lot of time and energy to do it right. In the band I did rythym and lead guitar and vocals, had a mandolin, fiddle, banjo, upright bass.   But I'm getting back into music.  I've done a few local solo gigs the last couple years. Go to picking parties, jam sessions.   Performing by myself, I do bluegrass songs that sound good with just a guitar, mix in some John Denver, a few Country.  I really enjoy playing music.

Gunny

Just wrapped the nightly session with the youngest daughter who is studying guitar and voice in the village with one of our local phenoms.  The fingertips are on fire and feeling soooooo good.

I cannot imagine sitting around a campfire with this crew since we seem to cover more than a couple of centuries in music of all genres.  The night would soon enough turn into the new day and we'd never even know it! 

Maybe we can find somewhere to meet some day/weekend that'd be central to us all for a session.  I certainly don't mind the drive.  Ohio, PA, Cain-tuck?

Whatever works. 

Humbly yours...

CHARLIE

My first guitar was a Kay acoustical. I got it used in about 1960 and lost it in a poker game in 1963. ::)  My first electric was a black Silvertone hollowbody. I think they were made by Harmony.  In fact, I still have it but haven't played it in years. I had a 1964 Gretsch Corvette solid body for awhile but 4 hours a night with that thing hanging off my shoulder convinced me to trade it in. So, I bought a brand new 1965 Gretsch Tennessean hollowbody electric, which I still have. I always used the Fender Rock 'n Roll light gauge strings on it.  I also still have my 1965 Apollo Drumset with 1965 Ludwig Paiste' cymbles.  And my 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb amp.  Donna bought me an Estrada acoustical out of Lafayette electronic mail order magazine in 1970. I still have it too.

The bands I played in:
Echoes - 1963
Driftwoods - 1963-1964
Breakers - 1964-1967
Avengers - 1968
Don Holton Band - 1973-1974
Echoes of Praise - 1974 -1976

I don't play my guitar much at all anymore because of the arthritis in my hands.

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Furby

Well I sure hope that those of you coming to the piggy roast bring your instruments!
I look forward to hearing what you all can cook up.
Maybe give us some nice background music and all. ;)

woodbowl

Hey Gunny,
     I pick a 5 string banjo and flat top guitar. Played in a Bluegrass band for several years, got married and...........well, you know...........now I got to work for a living. Trying to fiddle a little bit. Takes lots of practice for me. Keeps the cats ran off though. Got a Gibson Banjo, Aria, a cheepo that I loan out sometimes and a homemade banjo that I made out of a cake tin. Saw it in The Fox fire book about 30 years ago. I'll try to post some pics later. That Pig roast, cool Michigan air and some bluegrass music sounds mighty tempting right now.---------Can't go!------- Just trying to fool my self for a spell.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Jodi

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on July 26, 2005, 01:23:55 PM

Hi Jodi.  Do you ???  :) :)

Haha, nah. I don't play the harmonica, but i'd kinda like to. My dad makes it look pretty darn easy.  :)

Fla._Deadheader

Jodi, I can't believe your Dad would not take the time to help you learn, IF you just showed the interest.  ;) ;) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

AtLast

Anyone into John Denver...thats who taught me to play guitar....anyway....sounds like the Piggy Roast could turn into JEFF FEST!!!....a regular "woodstock "...but a bunch of pickin-and -a-grinnins....SOUNDS LIKE A BLAST.....I have a fiddle...banjo...4 guitars...but am a percussionist since age 4....either way.....JEFF ON DUDE!!!!....DARN..I REALLY wanna make it to the roast and do some singing and playing

Chris J

To say that I play guitar or bass would be an extreme exaggeration.  I own a few, and ocassionally I get serious about practicing.  I took a guitar course in high school back in the late '70s, and although the course was a bad joke, I did okay playing right-handed.  Now, nearly 30 years later, I decided to try guitar again, but left-handed.  Please consider that I was born a natural lefty, but was raised (forced) to be right-handed by my well-meaning but misguided left-handed (how ironic) mother.

My wife is the serious musician (grew up in a musical family, classical training, BA Music, teaches music).  If y'all ever want a jam session, come on by.  We own, and I'm serious:
1 player piano
1 electric piano
6 electric guitars (3 rh & 3 lh)
7 acoustic guitars (5 rh & 2 lh)
3 basses (1 rh & 2 lh)
3 oboes
1 flute
1 alto sax
1 clarinet
1 coronet
The recorder family except the bass recorder
4 amps
Miscellaneous effects & pedals

And I have the musical talent of a turnip  :'(  :D  :'(.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Teri

Pete J

I have 2 older Takamine guitars. A 6 and a 12 string. I got to a point where my group of playing partners formed a band. We played for pay one night and I knew right away it was not for me. Standing on stage in front of dozens of strangers kinda took the pleasure right out of it. I just play for fun and I have my John Denver and Grateful Dead songbooks sitting on the top of the pile right now.

Tom

I have a Takamine too.   A flat-top with a pickup inside.  It's brand spanking new.  I bought it from a friend of mine who is a piano tuner and managed a music store in Okeechobee back in 1981 or so.

SwampDonkey

:D I don't think I could play a whistle correctly. ;D

I had a guitar I used to make noise from, but my younger brother got his hands on it and over tightened the strings, so it folded.  :-\ I also had a harmonica, but again just some kinda noise came from it. Never really did lessons just fooled around. ;)

Father used to play the fiddle, but I haven't seen him with it for 30 years.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chris J

Sounds like Teri, Swamp Donkey, & I should form a band  :o.  Maybe folks would pay us not to play  ;D.  Craziest thing is I can't take music lessons from my wife; we end up getting really short-tempered with each other.  I think it's one those husband-wife things.

So who here can carry a tune?  I certainly can't.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Fla._Deadheader

Reading music has nothing to do with playing a stringed instrument. If you can harmonize you can strum.

When my 5 year old daughter was learning, she had NO idea what reading was. She had NO idea about how a song sounded.

Her teacher used Tablature sp ?? to mark in a music pamphlet, where to place the fingers and what finger to pick that string with.

When I started teaching her to play the Fiddle, I would try to do a short set, and then show her where to place the fingers, while using the Bow.

I can NOT play any instrument. I have the ear (Yousta did) to hear the correct sounds. Lynda learned what she was shown, and played it.

She could NOT walk up to a group and join in the Jam. The group would ask HER to play, then they would back her.

Y'all gotta remember, she quit at age 7. Now, she wishes she could play, or at least, play a little. IF she would just let me work with her a little bit, she would pick it right back up, but, NOOOoooooooo.  ::) ::) :( :(
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Fla_D, Some kids eh? ;D :D I know for me, it would be a confidence thing more than anything. Well, ambition would be right up there too. ;D  And thirdly, a person would have to socialize with other instrumental folks. They are scarce in these parts. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

UNCLEBUCK

If anyone would like to learn any instrument from beginning through advanced I have had good luck with a place in Woodstock,NY. called Homespun tapes and videos that is owned by Happy and Arty Traum . Their tapes can have anyone playing along within days . I played accordian from age 8-12 , bass guitar , banjo,fiddle,dobro,non-pedal steel guitar, guitar from age about 16 through now and really concentrate on banjo and guitar anymore, the rest I have gotten tired of . I play by ear and threw the books away from day one . This Homespun tapes and videos would have saved me many years of practice if I would have only known about it because you can pop a tape in sitting in your longjohns and get trained by a professional picker and I hope everyone who wants to brush up or just learn seriously trys this way of learning . Some of the best pickers in Nashville cant read a note . Paschale now he has to read music because he plays the finest music ever written unlike me my favorite group is the "Darlings" from the Andy Griffith show  ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

UNCLEBUCK

Yep thats good listening music Buzz ! Whenever the Darlings are on andy I have a blast laughing and listening to that hot band . They were on rfd tv last month playin and telling how they got hired for the show. Some DanG good music on that rfd tv latley . 
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Coon

Well, Let's see......  Finally the art of all arts.

The art of Luthier is right up my ally.  Being from a musical family I had the opportunity to learn to play nearly all stringed instruments.  With a country and bluegrass background throughout my childhood and teenage years with the instruments around the house how could you not pick up one and start  learning.  Bonus having a stepfather that rebuilt many old stringed instruments in his time aside from playing with various bands.

I have always had a passion for country and bluegrass music.  Owning my own  collection of instruments led me to play with a few different bands.  But that still wasn't enough to settle the  my urge and I carried my passion even further.  I went into the "Art of Luthier" program to learn how to build acoustic guitars.  From there I was on my own way.  Researching various instruments like the mandolin, 5 string and tenor banjos, and dobro interested me enough to design and build my own.

Currently I am taking custom orders and build in the winter months when the sawing season is slow.  When I do get the time and once I learn how to run our digital cam and load the pictures on the computer I will show them off.  You people will be swamped with pics..... I love to take pics..... Just remember you'll never know what the next picture will be of!!!!!!!!

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Patty

Hey UB, we really enjoy the Darling's music too. I bought all the CD's of theirs that I could find on Amazon. I have been playing them at work; it makes the day so much more fun!  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

CHARLIE

Coon, I'm impressed and I'd love to see pics of your work.  I've always wanted to build a guitar but just never did it. I even considered buying a kit one time, but never did that either.  I sure do enjoy seeing guitars that were custom built though.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Coon

Chalie.   Thanks for the compliments.  The acoustic guitars that i build are derived from the many different brands and models of acoustic and acoustic-electric guitars.   Of my favorites and my topselling guitars that I build are similar to the Martin D-38 and the Gibson J200.

I have been building a special guitar that nobody has seen yet to this day, nor have I yet seen a manufacturer build any acoustic guitar even remotely close to mine.  The project has already taken me two winters work in the spare time and is at the beginning of the finishing stages. (approximately 40hrs of work left)

It may be a while before I have time to learn the digital cam and how to install pictures due to work and hunting season coming up the end of Aug.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Chris J

Coon, I'd like to ditto that request for some photos.  Fellow on another site posted some photos of his handmade hammered dulcimers, and it was a real treat and pleasure to see them.

Unclebuck, I might just have give those tapes and videos a try.    While I certainly admire and respect my wife's classical training, it is hard to get her to understand that I'm not trying to be the next Segovia.

The only instrument I remember us having when I was growing up was a pathetic rinkydink tabletop organ, and I don't recall anyone ever playing it.  I recently asked my mother about it, but she couldn't recall why we even had it.

I did watch a lot country and western music programs with my dad; I can't remember if they came on Friday or Saturday night.  Porter Wagner & the Wagonmasters (loved those outfits!), Buck Owens, Marty Robbins, Johhny Cash, and others that I've forgotten.  Also went to quite a few concerts as a little kid; Charlie Pride was one my dad's favorites.

Teri

Dad watches Porter Wagoner here!   :(

He does it on purpose to irritate me.

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!