iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log dogs for a peterson .. or any swinger

Started by rbjones03, July 25, 2005, 02:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbjones03

I've been using my perterson wpf 8 to cut some pretty nice logs, I simply chock them on a deck I've built out of 3x8's  When I get down to logs around 7-10"" they just don't have the weight to stay still. Has anyone else had this problem or am I the only one that can't throw away a DanG pecker pole?? ;D
Peterson WPF 8 HI-LO Large Frame

Arthur

Lindsay at Doublecut has developed a dog system that is very portable and will work on any swinger.

well it was actually his son how came up with it.

will do any log from 9" upto 4'.  nice and simple and quick to setup and use.

I only seen the prototype. I presume Lindsay has this in production now.

arthur

rbjones03

Captain

Simply chocking works on the big stuff, but is downright unsafe for the small stuff :o

I do have a set of Peterson Log Dogs.  Ingeniously simple device that Jake came up with to apply to a set of wooden skids.  I have never used them for a couple of reasons....

Reason one is my hard headed habit of scanning the log with a metal detector after it is rolled onto the skids.  It is easy to get ot all sides of the log, and applying metal dogs to the wooden skids would not allow that any longer.

Reason two is that I like to be able to "kiss" the wooden skids with the blade to get more recovery out of the log.  I should also mention that the best type of notch is a square edged notch in the skid, NOT a V notch, that is deep enough for the log so it rests on the 2 edges of the groove, and the groove is the appropriate width for the log, especially the small log as mentioned above.

YES you have to cut slower in the smaller log...the blade can grab and move light logs or bottom slabs in a hurry. 

I will be the first to admit, however, that if I was cutting ONLY small logs that I knew to be free of metal, I would be using a set of steel I beams with a pair of Mobile Dimension dogs on the top.  They're pretty slick!!  I just do not see the need at present, square edged notches in wooden skids work great for me. 

I'll post a picture of the Peterson Log Dogs in a bit after I take a picture.

Captain

Captain

This is the Peterson log dog.  They are available here in the 'States, PM me for more information.

Captain

Fla._Deadheader

As long as yer showin them dogs, I will add my 2 cents, Capn. I believe someone starting out would find those invaluable on ANY log. They should work quick and an easy release.

That Jake is one smart Dude. However, I would mod them.  ;) ;) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

doublecut

rbjones03 i will try and get some pics of the doging system we have come up with for ya soon.
doublecut

Captain

Bear in mind that these are NOT Jake's newest creation, I've yet to see those yet.

Oh, Jake.......???

Captain

rbjones03

Thanks guys. I knew I could count on ya''ll to help me out.

;D

Timo

Have a set of the above pictured Peterson log dogs - but haven't used them yet. The last milling I have done is all large wood (36" plus) where a more custom holding system worked best. I'll let you all know what I think when I get them up and running, but they do look practical for smaller logs. I can tell you, if I never again have the blade catch a small log or cant and pull it over, that will be great.

One issue I have come up with the 'square edge notch system' is that one set up doesn't work for all logs - you need to have the edges ajustable some how, or lots of bunks to swap around - anyone else find this or am I just to picky?
Peterson WPF27 with bipedal, dual grapple, 5'6" loader/ offloader

DanG

Captain, or Jake, or Chris(wife :D), is there a way to prevent the Peterson mills from lowering past a certain point?  On the MD, there are collars on the endstands that prevent it from going low enough to contact the dogs.  I have mine set at about 1/8" above the metal, and I don't have to worry about hitting them.

Same question to the Lucas folks and Lindsay or Arthur. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

doublecut

Hey there danG. Yup Have created a 2 peace collar that goes on to the leg that is adjustable and prevents the risers from going down to far and hitting the dogs. Leaves as low as 1 1/2 inch slab with the bark. So not much left.
doublecut

Captain

In emergencies I've used hose clamps. 

The latest WPF mills have a stop that will engage before you get low enough to damage the blade by swinging it over the metal skid.  The blade goes down on the swing in both directions...so it is important.  The stop can be moved out of the way, but it requires a conscious decision and has already warned you NOT to change the saw blade position over the metal skids.

The ATS mills have a bolt on the uprights that act as a limit for the vertical drop on each corner. 

As far as a custom setup??? The vertical height of the skids always differs as we are not setup related to them permananently like you are DanG and Lindsay.  Certainly if somebody sets up a more permanent bunk system, simple clamps around the uprights in the proper location will suffice.

On another subject, I carry 2 sets of bunks.  They have an assortment of 5", 7" and 9" square edged notches in them.  I use them in conjunction with a handyman jack to compensate for taper in the good logs, but most of my logs have a bad face and that either goes up or down. 

Captain

Arthur

DanG

Lindsay has made a clamp for the EcoSaw which goes over the leg while setting up

As the EcoSaw can operate on extreamly uneven ground and upto 20degree angle the dog height is not always in relation to the bottom of mill so this clamp allows you to set the distance from the top of the mill which is always a set distance from the blade not the ground.

arthur

NZJake

Hey guys, those little clamps work great. They now come with 1 ground spike and 2 slider claw spikes as a set. We found that while the single slider claw works well on 10"-20" logs, two slider claws works great on under 10".

The new instructions offer alternative assembly arrangements. Either the assembly above for medium logs or just two slider spikes for real small logs.

Put your small log in your knotch (log dog is bolted within this).
Smack both claws into your log and sandwich with your 9/16 (I normally just tension them right so I don't have to use spanners). 100% locked.

Captain, the research team have relooked at the log dog situation, our present dogs work well, they won't break the budget, there simple and very easy to use. It was decided that we have bigger cooler development projects ahead of us, so for now the alternative dogs are on hold. As you would have noticed I've been pretty flat out recently with the new ASM etc, theres also a little thing called the SKILLMILL in the making. Our projects have taken priority.

Cheers, Jake.
Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

Fla._Deadheader

DanGit, Jake just gave away my Mod idea on them log dogs that Cap'n showed.  ::)  :D :D

I saw that idea as soon as I saw them dogs in HO HI HO.  ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Captain

Thanks for the update, Jake.  We know you've been busy in the mad scientist lab over there....I'll be interested in the progress of the Skillmill....

Captain

Ga_Boy

OK Jake,

I guess my Red Bull has not kicked in yet.  I do not have a clue as to what you are descirbing.

Maybe I need drawings or pictures. 

Hey Cap or FDH,

Can either of ya'll give me a clue, cause I shore can't find it on my own on this one.   ???

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Fla._Deadheader

Hey Mark. Cap'n posted the picture of the sliding log dog. As you look at the picture, the left side piece will slide to the right. It will "stick" into the log, to prevent log rolling while cutting.

Another slider going the other way, to the left, will "stick" the log and pinch it between both tips of the dog. I think it's a great design.   8)

Hammer them into the log from each side, enough to grab the log, release with a pry bar.   ;) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ga_Boy

FDH,

The Red Bull has kicked in and I am on my first Coke.

I think I am seeing what you are talking about.  Now, are two sets needed?  One set for each end?

OR

Will a single set do the job?

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Fla._Deadheader

2 sets sure won't hurt nuttin.  ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!