iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pic CD disaster - need help!

Started by OneWithWood, July 25, 2005, 12:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

Yesterday I took some pics of my latest project - a yard box for the tractor I knew you would all like to see  :)

I copied the pics from the camera flash card and went to paste them on my CD with all my timber related pics on I thought it would be a good idea to put projects in a separate folder.  So I created a new folder.  When I renamed the folder and hit enter the computer reboots! :o  Now I cannot access the CD at all.  It is not recognized by the computer  :o :o

I use Roxio software to format and copy stuff to CDs.  The program has an autoload feature that kicks in whenever I load a CD that has been formatted using Roxio software.  When I put this CD in the computer just makes short whirring sounds forever and nothing happens.  >:(

I do not have a backup of this CD and I will loose years of pics if I cannot retrieve the pics on it.

What can I do?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Buzz-sawyer

Welcome to Roxio eh
I have had the same problems
One fix has been to try and add to the disc.....then it may say, "This disc is not finalized" Then finalize it and it will be readable.......
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

SwampDonkey

Sounds like UDF formatted CD's. I hope Roxio get the bugs ironed out. Crashing the computer during a CD write can be disasterous, much the same as writing to a floppy during the same troubles.  :-\

I use INCD 4.0 from Nero for UDF and they have a free reader and a Roxio UDF control program to enable/disable the UDF driver. Hope ya sort it out.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

I wish they had given it a different name....why not Nancio or Bethio?   ???
Say when

DouginUtah

Robert,

I read about this problem in one of the newsletters I receive, but just spent 15 minutes looking for it and came up empty.

There are two parts to it. Buzz got one of them--you need to close out the CD. Only if you are using the same drive to read as to create that really shouldn't matter.   :-\

The other is turn off autoplay (temporarily). See if that makes any difference.

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Haytrader

::)

Roxio, Roxio, where for art thou?

:D

Haytrader

tnlogger

OWW if you have picasa2 on your putor do a scan of your harddrive it will find all the pics and movie files on it even the ones in the temp files  :)
gene

Tom

Roxie,

At least it isn't "Crash" or "Hack".  :D

This brings to mind a lecture that I've given Jeff on occasion.  It's one of those "I fail at it too, but here is the proper way", type lectures.  If you have a moment listen...er  ..read.

On of the biggest arguments we had years ago when PC's were becoming popular was that the Data was being put in the hands of users who hadn't been trained in the disciplines of Data management.  A careless upload could destroy a mainframes integrity and it took all we could do, everyday to avoid the efforts of Sales and business management to get us to open up the main-frame's files to uncontrolled user manipulation.

1 never add to or update a file that hasn't first been backed up.
2 never destroy an original

Now these are two simple disciplines that everyone should abide.  If you want to create a new and updated file,  read the old file and place the info into a new file, with a new name, and then update the new file.   If you want to access the new file in existing applications, you have two choices.  Either change the names in the access programs to look at the new file or physically archive the old file.  Put it in another room.  Always be able to "go back".

The other choice is to back up the original and call it another name and then archive the backup.  You can then update the original as long as you keep account for what you have done.

If done properly, an updated file should have a "before" and an "after" backup.

We don't always do it, but we should.  We depend on the ability of Software to open an existing file, find the end of it, or a logical opening, and add information blindly depending on the Gods to keep lightning, hardware failure and program failure away.

The first thing one should ask when updating a file is 'where is my backup'?

I am not trying to beat anyone up.  We all do it.  We will all probably continue to do it.  But, we should all be aware of the ramifications of "no Backup".

Tom (The Operator) :)

SwampDonkey

Tom, I follow those principles for the most part.

I back up everything important. Some files I just keep around awhile and then delete. I am pretty much forced to back things up since I have a limited hard drive space which typically has around 800 megs free of which the OS uses a large portion for virtual memory. I find Windows is terribly tied to virtual memory and sometimes when swapping windows things come to a crawl with redraws.  I would think that anyone with those really large hard drives would back things up on CD or other media because it can take ages to recover your data, if at all possible. I never had a verify error yet on my PC ( that would be a nightmare), but if you ever did, and tried to recover, it's quicker just to reformat and install over again. However, the new filing systems (FAT32,NTFS) of Windows isn't as prone to this as other OS's. Usually it's a hard drive failure. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kirk_Allen

OWW,
If I understand corretcly it is not auto running when you put in the CD. 

Does the CD show when you go to My Computer?  If it does, you may be able to click on it and select "explore".  If the files are there you can high light them and copy them to your harddrive.

Ianab

I've used a program called ISOBuster before in a similar situation. Saved a friends holiday pics.  :)
It is a little utility that will go and examine a CD and see if there is any recoverable data and extract it.
Worth a try anyway.

Tom, you are right about organising data. Just writing it to a CD isn't particularly safe... if the CD gets corrupted you are toast. I'm not perfect with my data but most of my photos are stored on my hard disk, and a backup copy made to CDs. At least 2 things have to go badly wrong before I loose the data.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Roxie

Deny thy father and refuse his name
or if thou would not
call me but love
and I'll be new baptised
henceforth I never will be Roxio
;)
Say when

Haytrader

Man, that is a lot of fancy gibber gabber for a tractor pullin farm gal.

:D   :D
Haytrader

Roxie

She hangs upon the cheek of night
Like a rich jewel in an Ethiop's ear   smiley_hairbow

(That's one of my favorite lines)   :)

Note to self:  If Cowboy Bob ever uses that line, it's time to hide the knives.
Say when

OneWithWood

Well I tried to close or finalize the disk.  I got the following error message:

05/74/04
empty or partially written reserve track

No s&*% Sherlock!  >:(

Is the ISOBuster free ware?  I'll do a search for it later.  This problem is going to have to wait a while.  I just got a gift of a pile of end cuts to use for firewood and I need to get it pronto!

Tom, you are right about backups.  I am religious about backing up all our business data and storing it off location.  Obviously I am a bit lax about personal stuff  :'(
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!