iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAFaller

That cut out in the blade isnt uncommon. It may have been done on purpose, many guys cutting softwood in the winter would run the limbs off the trees with their skidders, at least the top and 2 sides anyways. Back when that machine was brand new most of the wood was still cut with chainsaws and yarded with cable machines. As mechanization took over you dont see that as much anymore, most big crews have stroke delimbers or pull thrus on the landing loaders. Or have graduated to CTL technology and the processors do it all.
It ain't easy...

thecfarm

The guy that cuts for me is trying out a new JD 1510E 8 wheel forwarder, 6 cly.
This pictures has no tracks on it. They came and put tracks on it.

This is showing the cab swings with the boom.

I went for a ride in it today.That is quite the unit.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

is it new? or the almost new one that milton cat had?

1270d

thecfarm

I thought it was a 510E. That was on the side. I forgot where he got it from. I pretty sure it was brand new. I looked at real hard on Saturday and not a scratch on it,the bunks looked like they was never used.

Edit,I forgot the "1" should be 1510E.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

And now the old stuff,a Timber Jack

1270d

JD does make an 810e but it has 4 cyl.  The crane is mounted on the cab half of the machine.  There is also 10 11 1210 e.  1110 is the smallest with a six     cyl.  Maybe its one off or something new

thecfarm

I went back through my pictures before I downsized them,it is a 1510E,for sure. I forgot the "1" I will go back and fix the past posts.  ;D And you know the worse part,I have it as 1510E in my gallery. Somehow from the gallery to post I forgot the "1".

1270d

That's a pretty good size machine.  Very nice.

thecfarm

The guy with the new JD forwarder has this Cat havester with a fixed head on it. He has another havester,but I can not remember what kind it is.

The sawdust is a flying

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

He does have a Fabtec forwarder. The JD might take it's place.
This logger is a real nice guy. He was cutting here and I asked if he was going to cut any cedar to kinda push it off to the side and I would get it with my tractor. He did better than that,he brought it right down to the sawmill. I went up to see the new JD forwarder and I was in riding inside and I mentioned the dead white pine that was cut with the harvester. They are going to forward it out for the land owner to burn for firewood.

beenthere

thecfarm
Prolly a lot easier to move it out, than to "push it off to the side" where it still can be in the way.

Were the pics taken in your timber?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

None of these on my land. Some would not bother with bringing it out. The ceder was not in one area. So it was"pushed off to the side" to be picked up at a later time. It was all brought out in one load.
Just like the dead wood I mentioned. there would be a live trees and a dead one. He picked up the live trees and left the dead ones. I suppose he will go back and pick the dead stuff up all at one time,the same way he did the cedar.

coxy

Quote from: beenthere on April 25, 2013, 10:47:59 AM
thecfarm
Prolly a lot easier to move it out, than to "push it off to the side" where it still can be in the way.

Were the pics taken in your timber?
is prolly like an ex ;) ;D ;D  just pokeing a little fun :)

thecfarm

I saw this while driving down the road.
    Valmet 546 haverster

semologger

the only thing i can see is about all the new machines is you have to be a computer wiz to work on it. i would like to see them last like the old timberjack you posted. but they will be in scrap yard while the timberjack prob be around still.

snowstorm

Quote from: semologger on May 11, 2013, 10:59:37 AM
the only thing i can see is about all the new machines is you have to be a computer wiz to work on it. i would like to see them last like the old timberjack you posted. but they will be in scrap yard while the timberjack prob be around still.
computer wiz yes you have to be. will they not last no. i looked at a 911 valmet a while ago that had 36,000 hrs on it in real nice shape

grassfed

Quotelooked at a 911 valmet a while ago that had 36,000 hrs on it in real nice shape

If I calculated right that would be 4 years 1 month and 10 days +- without ever turning the machine off.

Mike

Ken

Quote from: semologger on May 11, 2013, 10:59:37 AM

Any machine can last a long time given proper maintenance and care.  The more modern harvesting machinery has only been around for the last 25 years or so.  I would bet that the well maintained units will be operational for many years to come.  My harvester (unknown hours) and porter (29000 hours) are both 15+ years old and chug along every day.  Harvesting machines are just big hunks of iron with motors, hydraulic systems and some sort of drive train.   Replacing parts on them is no different than repairing old skidders. 

At one time I thought that skidders were the only way to harvest wood.   My body began to tell me otherwise after 20+ years of conventional harvest work.  Although we still use a skidder for some work I suspect it will never be my primary piece of harvesting gear ever again.

More efficient machines make our industries more competitive.  I don't see too many farmers still sitting on a stool beside a cow pulling teats in order to fill their milk quota.   

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

german.logger93

Hey guys,
I´ve got some pics from Germany for you..

german.logger93

I hope you´ll enjoy my pictures..

Also check out our homepage: www.forstunternehmen-reith.de

barbender

Thanks for posting all those pictures, German logger. I always enjoy seeing how things are done in other areas.
Too many irons in the fire

Ken

German Logger

Thanks for sharing the pictures.  I too enjoy seeing how things are done elsewhere.  I do have a question though.  What is the machine in the 2 pictures before the last one?  It looks like a skidder with a crane.  Some sort of clambunk perhaps?  I thought I have seen most forest machines in action but that one is a mystery! :P

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

thecfarm

Thank You Sponsors!