iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Alford

Well Jed the word that still sends shivers is "temporary closures". Back then as a wood producer it was hard to know what to do.  Before the age of the internet, decisions  were based on pretty limited information.  When a mill shut the gate it was on to the next. As production overtakes demand things get bad in what seems like a heartbeat. Specs go up and prices down.  Lots of good folks lost gear,homes and with the added financial stress some lost families.  Things seem to have stabilized .  We can only hope for better days.
   Enjoyed your video, are the hydraulic filters still stuck out and vulnerable . That would work good on urban lots.  When you get that skidder up and running I think you will find it works well on those sites.
logon

Offthebeatenpath

Stephen, it seems to be the ebb and flow of all things.  I speak as much from family stories as I do from my own life.  I'm not seasoned enough to feel like I can say that from experience, but my family has been on the same piece of land for going on 250 years now.  It's taken some sacrifice to keep our little piece intact... but I'm getting off topic from the thread.

Just delivered the head, crank, and block back to the shop from the machinists for the 440D.  Should start putting the pieces back together tomorrow.  The hoses on the ASV are still exposed.  I switch between that bucket and a grapple that has the same issue.  Ripped the hoses off with a branch last year.  But yeah, it's good for small lots, backyards, etc.  I do quite a few small jobs- hazard tree removal, pulling firewood for landowners off their land, etc.  If I can charge by the hour, then I know I can do okay.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Stephen Alford

For a lad of your age you seem to have a pretty broad skill set. What I have enjoyed most over the years is site reclamation projects.  This can be done for yourself or developers. Removal of derelict structures, tires out of streams, maybe a bridge, walking trails, habitat enhancement and general woodlot improvement. With what you have  and a log loader on a trailer I think you would be good to go.   Somehow add in some computer apps and digital photography.  You thought you could get off topic.   8) 8)  :D
logon

Ryan D

Couple pics from my last job. Commercial thinning 45 year old Red Spruce. 1st pic is the finished product, 2nd is a nice Yellow Birch that was released and the last pic is a section of new road that we cleared for the landowner.

Ken

Nice looking job Ryan D.  How much volume was removed and what type of equipment was used?  Whereabouts in NS?  Always love to do those types of jobs when the economics allow. 

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

redneck logger

Hey Ryan D its not hard to tell that you take pride in everything you do keep up the good work and where abouts in Nova Scotia is that, im from Pictou County.
got to love working in the woods

Ryan D

Quote from: Ken on March 07, 2013, 07:48:45 PM
Nice looking job Ryan D.  How much volume was removed and what type of equipment was used?  Whereabouts in NS?  Always love to do those types of jobs when the economics allow. 

Cheers
Ken

We averaged around 10cords/acre of mostly studwood. The road clearing did put that average up a bit. I had funding for the commercial thinning and we also did some crop tree pruning which helped out with the economics. The woodlot is in Lunenburg and we did all of the skidding with my Kioti DS4510 and Farmi 501 winch. It isapretty slow setup and I'm going to buy a forwarding trailer sometime soon. We mostly do PCT work though, the logging is just a way to stay busy in the winter. I enjoy it the most though.

thecfarm

How many hp is that Kioti again? A forwarder trailer is nice to have. looks good.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ryan D

45hp tractor. I'm just waiting for silviculture season to start and I am going to pull the trigger on a Metavic 1150 trailer.

grassfed

This is a video of me cutting some trees on my WHIP cut. I am wedging back leaning trees using some GOL techniques. This was Friday morning.http://youtu.be/J8LFMQMasTI
Mike

beenthere

Good video, and thanks for posting it.
Looks like great weather for cutting some trees. If we had less snow, this would be a good day to be out.
But I don't enjoy climbing up on deep snow much at all.   :)  It is like one long, long stairway.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

grassfed

I only plowed the driveway 2 times this year. It has been cold though and the place I am cutting tends to get wet. It is frozen solid this year 8)
Mike

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

grassfed

Thanks beenthere and Peter. Here is a shorter 4x speed version. Its kind of funny with the music my wife suggested. ;D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlJjjvxBiSw&feature=share&list=UUym4bgf95og-g7FdNER2CBg
Mike

240b

Me a couple saws the skidder and loader.

PAFaller

240b, where was this picture taken? looks like a lot of areas here in PA. What are you running for a loader?
It ain't easy...

240b

picture is at home in central vt    my loader is a '95 180d  the 240 is a '95 also..

Ken

Very nice looking "Jack" but where's the door?  Although I worked without a door for many years after getting one it was hard to do without. 

Nice bunch of hardwood logs as well.  We seldom get to cut quality hwd logs on private land here. 
Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

PAFaller

Have you ever had any problems running rings on the rear of your machine? Not to get this thread off topic, but I was told by a few people that running rings on the back in real rough ground was hard on the no spins in the axles, seeing as there is quite a lot of weight on them with a big hitch sucked up tight. I like that loader alot, been thinking that will be my next purchase. I think the convenience of being able to sort would be great, even if it doesnt ultimately add to the production. Real nice looking setup for sure.
It ain't easy...

240b

Ken, the door came off because the beech regen was so thick I couldn't get it open (or closed) most of the time in that stand,but yes the door is usually on. I don't think I would want an open cab again, I had one for years. I do cut a bunch of junk also.   this was last summer on the same property, nice stuff, huh.

PAFaller, never had a problem with the rings on the back, the rear end has a diff lock, not a no-spin,which might not like all that traction. The skidder will not steer on steep frozen ground with ring chains on the front. (If the tires were loaded it would probably work,just not enough psi to force the caulks into the ice.     Locally, the ground we have is a lot like WV.

PAFaller

Good to know. Not sure exactly where you are in VT but Ive seen a lot of the state, my wife has family up around the Randolph area. We usually try to get up there and see our nieces at least once in the summer, and Ive attended the expo in Essex Junction 2 or 3 times. Are the markets holding pretty steady up there?
It ain't easy...

thecfarm

International Skidder S7C
Looked like it was just being used for firewood.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnM

Quote from: thecfarm on April 19, 2013, 09:49:33 PM
International Skidder S7C
Looked like it was just being used for firewood.

Is that a 'chip' outta that plow (I'm sure it's not a 'plow' ::))?  And the tire chain is missing a link or two.  Seems that sucker has been used hard. :o :)

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

thecfarm

Yes,John,that is a chunk out of the blade. good eye on the missing linK. He had a bunch of D rings holding things together. But I see he had the winch covered on it.

treefarmer87

240b, I really like your loader and skidder
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!