iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Very typical set up of a logging truck in Maine.
What was you using that long bar for? don't see any trees there that you needed it for? The bar looks 4 feet long.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offthebeatenpath

I don't use that saw, I just carry it around and put it in photos to make me look tough...

No, it's only a 28" bar -sitting on some of the smaller spruce and fir logs makes it look bigger.

There was a lot of really wonky (mostly pulp) 24-32" pine on that lot.  I didn't like getting on the bad side of the tree, so the long bar was helpful in not having to cut from both sides on each big tree.  Even with that bar though, I had to work both sides on some of 'em.

Jed
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

thecfarm

I got a 28 incher too. I guess I need to put it on a pile of small wood too.  ;D Have not used it for years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ken

That tandem truck would be extremely overweight here in NB even without road restrictions which were put in place this morning  :(. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Woodhauler

Quote from: Ken on March 04, 2013, 06:08:19 PM
That tandem truck would be extremely overweight here in NB even without road restrictions which were put in place this morning  :(.
Looks like a nice legal load to me Ken!  ;D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Jamie_C

Quote from: Ken on March 04, 2013, 06:08:19 PM

Here in NS a load like that would likely be a fine of over $1000 if you got caught and depending on which mill you might even be told not to come back. Back when Mactara was still operating if you weighed in heavy 3 times the truck got suspended from delivering for awhile, if it kept happening even the wood producer would get penalised.

thecfarm

Looks like two typical loads to me.

chevytaHOE5674

Its all good until you get busted. Have plenty of trucks that haul for me that have gotten 1000+ dollar tickets plus having to unload logs on the side of the road someplace to get under legal weight, then having to come back for those logs on another trip making you lose even more money. 164k is the max gross legal weight here but I've seen plenty of trucks scale out at over 200k, good friend of mine has been trucking for about 50 years and said he used to run overweight all the time thinking he was making more money, after a few tickets, and the increased wear and tear on tires, brakes, axles, bearings, suspension, frames, etc he said he found that running legal weight he actually finished the year with more money in his pocket.

isawlogs

You would not make it far here with a load like that, or the configuration of the truck.
there's not only the wear on the truck that one needs to take into acount, the roads take a beating from all the extra weight and that cost hurts everybody, not only the owner operator.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Stephen Alford

In and around the city of Charlottetown we have 3 police forces, municipal,RCMP, and DOT.  When moving wood on truck or trailer the one thing they all look for is tie down straps. Two every eight feet.  The three inch strap seems to please them all. Some you ratchet with a bar , some have a handle.

logon

thecfarm

The guys that are saying that is not a legal size load and truck not legal either,got pictures of trucks in you area that are legal?
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse,  ;D but I see loads and trucks like that every day. I have no idea the weight he's hauling,but if I stood on the cornor where the paper mill is,I could take 100 pictures just like that. The state roads are not posted for weight so the wood can be moved. Some guys will save a job on a state road.

Stephen Alford

The morning I hauled this load did not know it would be my last. The Mill is gone .

logon

thecfarm

I'm trying to figure all this out.  :D  Is that all you can haul to be legal? Or was that all you had cut?

chevytaHOE5674

Just because you could take a picture of 100 of them doesn't necessarily mean its legal. Like I said I know plenty of guys that scale out at over 200k and do it almost everyday. Seen a load or two at over 250,000lbs (that's almost 100k overweight, or the weight of a normal semi/van trailer combo).

Is it legal? No.
Are they getting away with it for now? Yes.
Are they tempting fate? Yes.
Are they putting extra load on the truck? Yes
Are they putting extra strain on our already crappy roads? Yes

Offthebeatenpath

Stephen-

What do you mean the mill is gone?  For the season? For ever?
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

thecfarm

No expect with trucking.just saying that's the way it is done without 10 axles under it as you guys do it. These trucks are being weighted beside the road,every so often too. If they was overloaded those weight guys would be all over them after a while.

chevytaHOE5674

Here is a load that if I remember correctly scaled out at 250,000lbs. That's close to 100k over weight. He hauled many loads like that off a job and got away with it. Legal? Heck no. But he got away with it. At least in Michigan there are lots more trucks on the road than there are DOT guys, so your odds of getting away with it are pretty good. But every now and then the DOT guys will get a bug in their behind and will sit right outside a mill and stop just about every truck. Word travels fast on the CB and the trucks stop showing up.

thecfarm

WOW!! Like to see the trucks in your area. That truck looks longer than the trucks here. Nice looking logs. What kind?

chevytaHOE5674

Ken

Before our road restrictions went on yesterday a 3 axle trailer such as ours can be licensed for 49 500kgs (109 000lbs).   Most roads except for the major highways put on a max 80% limit for the next couple of months. Some of the major highways are still 100%.  The load pictured below weighed in at a little over 52 000kgs             (114 000lbs).  That is what we generally try to haul.  Overweight by a little bit nearly every trip down the road but not enough to draw too much attention. 
I only know of one tandem truck locally with a loader at the back of the cab.  I'm not sure what he can license for but I suspect only about 6 cord of softwood.  Most tandem trucks also pull a pup trailer.

snowstorm

is that small red heart fir studwood?

LOGDOG

What an awesome load of wood ChevytaHOE5674! That would have been a nice looking load of wood to have on a truck at Logging Congress up there. Looks like a Western Star?

Ken

Quote from: snowstorm on March 05, 2013, 07:43:25 PM
is that small red heart fir studwood?

That load is spruce/fir pulp going to a newly reopened OSB mill.

Cheers
Ken

Stephen Alford

Cfarm here the definition of legal pretty much boils down to, will you be stopped and if so fined ?   Years ago I was told that for the most part  that is pretty much determined by  "visual impression" and by the reputation of the truck.   With a little effort you can get by.  I have never been stopped or fined so that has led me to believe that it works. But  to keep it in perspective I have never tried to cross the Provincial scales off Island.  Different truck specs allow for more weight. For example they look for trucks with a heavier front. Here they check to see if you have two steering cylinders on the front axle. Then with bigger tires you can have more weight on the front axle.  Woodhauler or snowstorm could give you a better answer than I.  As Ron has said to stay in business and make a living it has to be market driven. Then you have to get your product to the buyer.
   Jed, the stud mill shut down a couple of years ago and dismantled. At one time  pulpwood used to be barged over to Newfoundland.  Wood harvested here is hauled to NB, NS and to Main. There is a mill that plans to reopen in NS and wood is being bought and stock piled in a pit here. It is my understanding that it will be hauled to NS when the ferry starts up in the spring.
   Years ago when we were hauling tree length spruce to a mill in Main the trucker phoned around 2 pm said the load was refused. Told him to pull in behind the big Irving truck stop and stay there till he saw a lot of traffic going by indicating a shift change at the mill. Then beat it back to the mill. Sure enough load gone.   :D
logon

Offthebeatenpath

Stephen,
Guess you gotta do what it takes- good story.  Too bad there's no mills on PEI, but a mill in NS is better than Newfoundland!

Thank You Sponsors!