iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I only cut on my land,that makes a big difference. I can take my time,because I get all the money. I run 8 ply tires and never had a problem. But I don't run over my brush much,I cut most of it into 2-3 feet long pieces. Any small stumps gets cut real low to the ground. My small tractor is 40hp by the way. My skid roads are very clean and some what smooth. Any improvements I make I get to use for years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

The cutter measures for a final sawlog cut from the black cherry top and then makes the cut.
LC timber sale 2012.

~Ron

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

lumberjack48

Can't a guy cut the hole top in to, 1', 2', 3' pieces, what ever it takes to get a straight piece down to 3 or 4 inches. Then saw it in to 1x1's, 1x2's, what ever it will make, there would be a lot of pieces of Cherry in that top.

I'm just thinking out of the box
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Ron Scott

The remaining topwood down to 4 inches was removed as pulpwood and firewood.
~Ron

Ron Scott

This logger works with his wife and his iron mule forwarder. She also falls and bucks the sawlog trees. They produce for a major Lower Michigan sawmill. LC timber sale, 10/2012.

~Ron

lumberjack48

Thats where the money stays on the table, man and wife team. When you wake up in the morning you know where your helps is. If their not there, you have a big problem. :o
My wife ran skidder, fell, bucked up and limbed, i think you call this mill rights.

I sure hope they pay better then the Co. we worked for.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Ron Scott

Two sons work with their father in the logging operation. The sons do the felling and bucking while dad does the forwarding and product sorting at the landing. Samfilippo timber sale 2/13.

~Ron

keen

Hey Ron good pics. Its a great thread you started. Nice to see some local logging. Looks like a beech in the upper photo? Cut some beech not to long ago. The mills I checked with didn't want any or wanted to pay pallet prices so it ended up going in the pallet pile and to the amish.

thecfarm

Not a softwood tree in sight. No small trees either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

treefarmer87

Its always good to see handfelling and working with chainsaws :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

lumberjack48

This is the same way my father and me and my two brothers did it in the 60's. It involves a lot of labor, lifting and piling, compared to cable skidding. When we got a cable skidder, one guy run skidder, one fell and one bucked up. Then my father used the short wood dray to sort and pile on the landing.
Quote from: Ron Scott on February 15, 2013, 06:16:34 PM
Two sons work with their father in the logging operation. The sons do the felling and bucking while dad does the forwarding and product sorting at the landing. Samfilippo timber sale 2/13.

Ron Scott

This threesome was very productive and didn't take much time to stop and talk. The boys had to keep right on cutting as the dad kept right up to them with his Fabtek 344B forwarder. ;)They are now done with the cutting and we are just waiting to get all the wood hauled off so we can close out the timber sale probably next week.
~Ron

Ken

Love this thread.  Been reading through it all again.  Heres a couple from the past week. 

The TJ 610 with a load of 8' studwood

The old TJ 225 pushing up some poplar.  We use a powersaw and the skidder to cut and yard the bigger ugly trees that the harvester has a hard time with.

Two trucks loading poplar last week.  The TJ 608 harvester sitting idle at the landing getting some fuel and grease.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

thecfarm

I love this thread too. As I say this thread will keep you busy for a while. I would like to see more pictures added to this thread.

treefarmer87

ken, how big is that 610? looks like the newer 230 forwarders? I like this thread too.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Jamie_C

the 610 replaced the older 230 machine, they gave it about 1/16" more cab room then the old 230's so needed to give it a new model number ... lol

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

snowstorm

Quote from: Jamie_C on March 03, 2013, 12:27:01 PM
the 610 replaced the older 230 machine, they gave it about 1/16" more cab room then the old 230's so needed to give it a new model number ... lol
you mean its a tight fit?

Jamie_C

They are tough machines and pretty basic but the design doesn't lend itself to operator comfort

Jamie_C

Quote from: snowstorm on March 03, 2013, 12:40:31 PM
Quote from: Jamie_C on March 03, 2013, 12:27:01 PM
you mean its a tight fit?

I believe a Real Estate Agent would call it "cozy" ... lol

If you aren't careful turning the seat around you will smash your kneecaps off on the parking brake lever, plus if you want to bring anything into the cab with you that is bigger than your shadow then you could be out of luck .. lol

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ken

The 610 does not the most spacious cab but overall this machine (my first forwarder)has treated me very well and works every day.  The load is a little better than 4 cord.  There are times that I would like a forwarder with a larger cab and automatic tranny but Rome wasn't built in a day and my funds were limited when I was searching for equipment. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

treefarmer87

a load of grade oak to go to Lindsey Hardwoods in Farmville, Va.

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Offthebeatenpath

On the smaller side of things, here's a minute long video showing my little skid steer pulling out white pine. You can see how narrow the skid road is as well as thinned and unthinned sections of the tract.  The flag line is wetlands setback and the blue trees are slated for removal.

http://youtu.be/OSr9Dqant0o

Here are a couple photos of the yard as well.

This was one of the first loads of saw logs to go out.

You can see from the treeline in the background that the tract was thinning out by this load. I was bringing the trailer load of fir to a different mill with my one ton because there wasn't a full wheeler load of it and I wasn't going to leave it on the landing...
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Thank You Sponsors!