iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

I use Photoshop 5.0.  Once I get the image brightness and to 100%, I just click "Image size" and change the width to 300 or less. Nearly every time, it will be under 15K. I rarely use optimizer anymore ?????????
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

Honest truth is, I dont use it any more either. I bought adobe photoshop 7.0 for my web graphic work and it has a save for web function with an awsome compresion tool. Bought it on Amazon but it was still pretty pricey.  It is an awsome chuck of software if you can justify it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/B000063EMG/all/103-1082702-0939024
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

It makes it kinda hard to offer instructions when there is no baselline. I recommend that Everybody is on their own. :)

Jeff

Tom why is there no baseline? The baseline is still the instructions we  have always given at https://forestryforum.com/upload.htm
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I just find that when Xat come into the conversation more folks than not talk about not using it.  If I were a just getting started, I wojld try to follow the experts, not some "outmoded piece of software.

SwampDonkey

I think Photoshop is a fine piece of programming but its a bit of overkill for most folks probably and the price will likely turn most off. Just us folks that do web publishing and some commercial art works will likely want to dish out the $$ doh $$. I use photoshop for matching aerial photography for my GIS work. You can take two images and match them to your GIS Layers by stretching, rotating, rubbersheeting and adjusting the aspect within Photoshop and you can also create an Annotation Layer for your GIS. You can only do this fancy photomatching in Photoshop format( PSD or PDF). They are treated as layers and once you get the photos corrected you flatten the image to reduce the file size. Also, if your using it in a GIS it will be saved as MrSID or TIFF. I use TIFF, which also has LZW or jpeg compression. The compression isn't supported by some GIS programs as it takes a bit of CPU power and VM when your scrolling around in a Aerial photo layer  and having to decompress it for display on your GIS. I can think of one GIS program that it would be a nightmare on, and that is ArcGIS. Every pan of a layer and the HD goes screeching. In Maptitude it pans much more efficiently and your not sitting and waiting for screen updates. Plus working with aerial photography in ArcGIS costs as much money for the extension as the entire Maptitude program suite. :D ArcGIS, definately has some nice pluses over Maptitude, don't get me wrong there. But, for what I need to do, and most natural resource management folks, it doesn't justify the price. Hmm $500 for Maptitude, versus $1600 for ArcGIS? Same scenario between Photoshop and the current available freebies or shareware online. ;)

Have a look at my crafty work with aerial photography on Photoshop and Maptitude GIS

http://www.klondikekonsulting.com/orthographic.htm

The scale is 1: 12,500 (m). The black thin lines outline property boundaries and the black circles are cruise sample locations. Looking at the photo along the International boundary you might thing the line is shifted. But, no there is a narrow and long property there. I just have not included the outline of the properties south of the Meduxnekeag Stream. I don't think ArcGIS even has sign shields for N.B. highways as I've used on route 540. You should be able to see the splice between the photos. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

David_c

David_c

David_c

heres another picture of the rottne from the otherside

David_c

heres a load of logs fromthe yale forest.

David_c

Ron Scott

Good to see some Rottne's pictured. We don't have any being used locally here that I know of.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

David_c

Nice work and nice pictures ta boot. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

David_c

thanks for the compliment swampdonky but i can only take credit for the pics.

Rob

here are a few pics of the last job we did.. Heres a pic of the 648E skid
der

Rob

here are some better pictures now that they are resized thanks Jim.   Heres the back of my friends work truck .. thats my 385xp on the gate , generator,fuel cans etc..

Rob

heres a pic of me skidding up over the hill before the landing

Rob

Rob

same pic as before pushing leaners over

Rob

herea a pic of us skidding on top of the sandpit cliff

Rob

Well I have more to come soon..stay tuned  for more timber harvesting pictures from the Northeast..

Rob

Rob

heres a pic of part of the select cut we did

Rob

Rob

David_c

heres a picture of rob on his skidder i took today.

heres another one

Thank You Sponsors!