iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogue Chitto

WDH

That is nice mill.  I have been there several times.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

semologger

nice equipment there. Thats my kind of work in the pines. I like seeing the green grass. not much green around here.

OlympicYJ

Yarder side just outside of South Bend, WA. Stroker clearing the chute/ processing and shovel sorting and loading. Tank mount Madill yarder.

Cougar Mountain in foothills of the Olympic Mountains, South Western part of Olympic Peninsula. 171 or 172 Madill yarder; can't remember which. Smaller Kobelco shovel sorting/loading and Kobelco with Waratah clearing chute and processing. Kenworth T-800 "long logger", 4 Axle truck with 2 axle long log trailer, and pup. Gross 88,000 but should have a permit allowing more since it has the pup.

Looking over the edge where the processor is at. Bottom end was shovel logged wher it meets the old clearcut.

At the above unit looking East toward the head end of the Wishkah river and farther East the Wynoochee river, my stompin grounds.

Up the Wishkah river. About 2 miles as the crow flies from the pic above. Cat yoader loading, Komatsu sorting, and Komatsu with Waratah processing. Next pic is another Komatsu shovel swingin in turns on a lower bench to the landing.

Timber King buncher just to the right of the above shovel.

New Deere near the last two jobs. On what I call the Donut Hole. Old train turn around with a knob in the middle. Originally set up to be downhill logged but the op worked the shovel to the top and slid em over the edge. Had a Yoder on this job as well. Jewell conversion.

Out of Forks, WA. Dahlgren Logging. I believe this is one of their two Berger Marc VI yarders. Tallest production Yarders ever made. 130ft tubes and hang out around 9000ft. Dahlgrens own the only two in existence. Check out the Flying Cats vid on Youtube.

Different Dahlgren side south of Forks. Madill 3800C with 624C Waratah.

All of these were taken in the summer of 20011. I was interning for a timber comany doing log quality and logging compliance. I worked all the way from the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the Columbia.

Hope everyone enjoys.

Wes

Bogue Chitto

thecfarm

OlympicYJ,enjoyed and than some. Thanks for the logging pictures and pictures of the the lay out of the land. That Deere shows how steep that hill is. Just a whole different way to log and the language is different too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

Ed K

g_man

My daughter has lived in western Wa and now Portland, Or for the last 20 years. When ever we go out I marvel at the logging operations out there compared to here. The size of the timber, the steepness, the equipment, and methods are all so interesting but I have never been able to get as close as your pictures show so thanks for posting.
In 1993 she lived in Marblemount and they were logging a mountain side south of Rt 20 with helicopters, Even from miles away it looked like a big operation.

ClarkF66

Beautiful pictures, OlympicYJ. Enjoyed watching the Flying cats on youtube.

OlympicYJ

Thanks guys. Yea so maybe a little background on me first so you guys get a fel for who I am lol. I grew up on a farm, my old man is not a logger, just a retired heavy equipment mechanic that has done some logging and worked on some big jobs in WA and Ak. I unfortunately don't have pics of our Treefarmer or TD-6. I'm a year and half from my BS in Forestry but have a technical forestry degree already. In those pics I was interning for one of the major landholders on the Peninsula as their first ever operations intern. I'll be working up on the Upper end of the Peninsula this summer so good chance I'll be around Dahlgren's some more. First rate loggers. I'm gonna venture a guess but the tower in my pic is not the Marc VI but a diffent Berger yarder of theirs.

Background on the flying cat's vid. Like I said Dahlgren's own the two largest production yarders in the world. There are non factory yarders that are bigger but they weren't built by a yarder manufacturer. One is in working operation the other is in their boneyard, for parts I'm assuming. The video is on Merril & Ring's Pyist tree farm. There were acess issues and the timber value was not worth it to Heli log. So they flew those cats out to the back end of the unit and logged 80 acres with the cats hauling to the tail tree and yarding from there. They were hangin out around 4000 feet.

The pic showing the new Deere doesn't do the hill justice. I'm guessing it was around 25%. He was popping Helmock stumps like picking up a golfball on the green.

Okrafarmer

Olympic, thanks for the pictures.

In this one: "Timber King buncher just to the right of the above shovel."

Is that a giant old growth stump I see?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Ryan D

A couple of photos from the other day. I'm currently working on a Red Spruce commercial thinning. This tree was an older White Pine left from a previous harvest that had the top blown out of it this summer. It was a little over 30" diameter at the base.

The saw is an MS441 with a 28" Oregon Power Match bar (I typically use a 20" bar, put this one on just for fun) and the tractor is a Kioti DS4510 with a Farmi 501 winch.

clww

Great pictures guys. :) That 130' yarder must be a sight to behold! :o
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

OlympicYJ

Quote from: clww on January 22, 2013, 08:01:52 PM
Great pictures guys. :) That 130' yarder must be a sight to behold! :o

Oh yes indeed. Hopefully I'll be gettin nice and close to it this summer. Did you check out the video?

MReinemann

The saw is an MS441 with a 28" Oregon Power Match bar (I typically use a 20" bar, put this one on just for fun) and the tractor is a Kioti DS4510 with a Farmi 501 winch.
[/quote]

How does that tractor work for pulling out trees that size?  Just curious.  I got a small kubota l2800hst 4wd and i'd be lucky to pull out 1 tree that size in the snow.
-Matt

Ryan D

It doesn't seem to put much of a strain on it. So far it will pull anything I hook up. I've been very impressed.

WindyAcres

2011 Woodmizer Lt40 Hyd G28, Stihl Chainsaws, Tractor with Farmi Winch, Woodturning Lathe,....

OlympicYJ

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 22, 2013, 07:09:30 PM
Olympic, thanks for the pictures.

In this one: "Timber King buncher just to the right of the above shovel."

Is that a giant old growth stump I see?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes that would be an Oldgrowth stump.

Ron Scott

~Ron

beenthere

Have seen that posted and had the thought that Quebecnewf possibly could use such a system to conquer the water transportation and get his logs out... maybe even in better logging conditions.
Wonder what the investment in equipment would be.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LOGDOG

nas

Ryan, I have the same tractor and have also been impressed by what it can pull.  It also has good lifting capacity on the loader, which is why I bought it over the Kubota.  The only thing I would like is a middle gear range between the high and low.  I think the DK series has that.  The Kiotis are quite a bit heavier than the Kubota L series.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

mikeb1079

that's a really neat video ron, thanks for the link.  i really like small setups like that.  seems like that young man has his system down pat!   8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

JuniperBoss

Just wondering, does anyone here have trouble with popping tires on small tractors like that while skidding? I've been told it's a terrible idea to run a farm tractor through the woods with "farm" tires and that tracks or a real skidder is the way to go. For those who skid with a tractor, what tires do you use? Do you have trouble with your tires?

I haven't really been up to beat with this thread so I'm sorry if I interrupted anything.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

nas

Juniperboss, I have never popped a tire on my tractor, but I am a lot more careful than I would be if I had a skidder.  The bigger issue for me is protecting the engine parts from branches getting in.  I hope to improve the guards around it in the near future.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Thank You Sponsors!