iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I just saw a craigslist ad looking for that same stuff, keen. Same problem, feed roller tracks don't look very good on your log furniture ::)
Too many irons in the fire

1270d

Would they take it if it was cut with a stroke processor?  Like a little tapio or something like it?

Okrafarmer

Keen, that is EXACTLY the proper way to log. It sounds like you are making money.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

keen

Im not sure on a stroke processor 1270d, never thought of that. Its a good idea. I have never seen wood in person cut by one. Does it just remove some of the bark as it slides? I wouldn't think a  little scrape here and there on the wood would be a big deal. Where about in the UP are you? I was up there two weeks ago and fished the carp river and the black river. I'm from mid michigan(gladwin).

1270d

I ve never run a stroker but I don't think there would be a whole lot of bark disturbance.  If the knives were kept nice and sharp I think they would limb really clean also.  I live about a quarter of a mile from the carp.  Definately one of the smaller sections of the river though

Bobus2003

If he knifes are sharp, and the machines running good Stroke Processors don't disturb much.. They scrap some bark of (in many cases very nicely without touching the wood) but they do sometimes gouge the wood..

Ken

Nice looking skid behind that C5D keen.  I agree that we all have to aggressively market our products and services in the hopes of finding those "niche" markets.  Be careful though how often you spread the word about really good markets as there are those who would be more than willing to fill the market for a bit less.

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

thecfarm

This is a Clark skidder. I don't see many of these in my area.

I have no idea the year. This is just a guy with a skidder and a chainsaw. This was a real small job. I doubt even 4 acres. It's between 2 roads and one side has a house on it and the other side was cut off a few years ago.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

I knew a guy in Burnham, Maine, who had a Clark Ranger for a while. Back in the late '80's, early '90's maybe.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

I used to see them many years ago.  Now, down here, you very rarely see a cable skidder of any type anymore.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

keen

Heres a few pics of the job we're cutting now. Getting pretty close to getting it completed, if the weather would only cooperate. There will be around 500 cd of aspen, once that is cut we will start on the ash.

Counted a 110 rings on the tree to the right, it was solid all the way up. Don't find to many aspen that size in these parts.

Sure like how these trees cord up, had to shave some bark off this one to get the 8 foot choker around it.

This was Tuesday, trying to beat the thaw. The truck in front is loading logs. The truck in the rear is loading pulp.

The ash on this job site keep me up at night :o Some board footage in these babys!

Had some hard rain here last night and today, dreading to see what things look like when I get there monday moring. Hopefully the rest of guys are getting though the weather, sure makes it tough.

Bogue Chitto

Thinning in Louisiana.  Every fith row.

thecfarm

keen,that tree makes that skidder look small. A tree that size takes alot down with it when it falls. I wonder why the trees did not get cut before. Looks like alot of small stuff coming up around it on your last picture. I see you have just about as much snow as I do.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

treefarmer87

Keen, what happened to the orignal arch on your c5? i see a deere arch now? you are cutting some great logs, good job :) bogue, that is the cleanest pine job i have seen. where is the slash?
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bogue Chitto

It's a big mud hole now.  Raining all week and still more to come.

JLeBouton

Here is something you have not seen before...

keen

Bogue nice looking work there, whats the pine sold and used for there? Yeah, thecfarm not much snow this year. Its pretty much all gone now, 60 degrees today :-\ Treefarmer87 the deere arch was on it when I bought it. It was originally a grapple/cable, the guys I got it from were working on alot of slopes and put the arch on it. Maybe it will get a paint job this summer so it doesn't look like a mut.

lumberjack48

I cut a lot of Aspen like that around here, i liked cutting it at -10 to -20, no limbing, come out like high line poles. When its 60 degrees they don't slide very easy and pick dirt up.

That looks like a big White Ash your standing by, cut a few Black Ash that big.

Nice size row cut pine, i cut many thousands of cds of that here in the Chippewa National Forest

FABTEK all i want is the cash that machine is worth.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

1270d

That's the new improved fabtek in escanaba right now?   Heard about it. You must be the engineer that refined it?

I think it will work. There is definately a market for fixed heads here and Deere was missing out.

Do you own this head and market through deere, or sell it to them?

treefarmer87

keen, i would like to have a grapple and arch to convert mine to a grapple skidder. all the ones i have found are way too big for my c6
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bogue Chitto

Keen, this is the first cutting of these trees. We are just thinning for chip and saw. 

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bogue Chitto

WDH

There is a very good small log market in that area.  The Company I worked for has a small log sawmill in Holden.  Are these logs going to Holden or Bogalusa?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!