iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Quote from: 1270d on September 04, 2012, 07:51:41 PM
Very nice photos.  We have the greatest view from our offfice windows, don't we?

Lj, we had a trucker hauling for us a few years ago who hauled in an evening load of tamarack pulp like that.  Crossed the scales over 205000.
Back in 1995 i loaded a load of studwood spruce/fir on a 3 axle bws trailer behind a 500hp mack tractor, 160,000 pounds! Guy hauled it from jackson maine to canada! Went across the border in jackman maine! Around 140 miles one way!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: 1270d on September 04, 2012, 07:51:41 PM
Very nice photos.  We have the greatest view from our offfice windows, don't we?

Lj, we had a trucker hauling for us a few years ago who hauled in an evening load of tamarack pulp like that.  Crossed the scales over 205000.

I too have seen a few loads of wood between 205,000 and 210,000 cross the scales in the dark of night. That's on an 11 axle "Michigan Truck"... Only 40,000 overweight  :D

barbender

That kind of weight is crazy, have any of you ever pullled a load that heavy? I've had a couple #120,000 + loads on, you know you have a load behind you, even with 500hp.
Too many irons in the fire

Bandmill Bandit

never pulled a load over a 100K lb but have seen a few loads of logs that scaled right at the 200 to 215 K. Some of the oilfield hauling you see in this country dont even get scaled cause there isn't a scale that you can get the rigs on to even weigh em.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Woodhauler

Quote from: barbender on September 04, 2012, 11:07:55 PM
That kind of weight is crazy, have any of you ever pulled a load that heavy? I've had a couple #120,000 + loads on, you know you have a load behind you, even with 500hp.
I have grossed in 108000 with my tri axle self loader truck back in the day! HAVE the biggest loads hauled into several mills! 8600bf of saw logs! Hauled 8000bf on a regular occurrence!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Bandmill Bandit

Talked to my brother last night. He is mostly hauling loggin and oil feild equipment now but he said that 100K mark is the norm now for log trucks up north. said he saw one about a week ago where the jeeped tractor had a set of tandem steering axels and triple drivers pulling a trailer with 2 center axels and a triple rear.

He figured they were using a heavy pipe/drill stem hauler to bring out logs to the plup mill from the lease and road clearing and said it looked to be about a load and a half on a regular tri axel trailer rig.

He was going to see if he could get a picture if he caught them on the his haul in there today with the other mud tank.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Mark Wentzell

Quote from: lumberjack48 on September 04, 2012, 05:36:29 PM

This is the Co. truck pulling off the job, he has about 15 cds of Birch saw bolts on, 6 more cords then he can haul legal. Its all back roads to Bigfork and late evening, so why not over load.

I've never seen logs loaded  across the truck like that around here( Perpendicular to the trailer.). Is that a regional thing or is it the old way or what? Seems it would make unloading easier.

barbender

Regional, it's a lakes states thing. I'd guess about 95% of our wood is cut 100", and about 75% of that is hauled crossways. If I remember right, a good crane operator at Sappi could unload a rail trailer with 14 cords of aspen on it in under 3 minutes, it would take 1 minute longer with bunk trailers. Doesn't sound like much but when the trucks are backed up bumper to bumper all day it adds up.

lumberjack48

Quote from: Mark Wentzell on September 05, 2012, 03:11:54 PM
Quote from: lumberjack48 on September 04, 2012, 05:36:29 PM

This is the Co. truck pulling off the job, he has about 15 cds of Birch saw bolts on, 6 more cords then he can haul legal. Its all back roads to Bigfork and late evening, so why not over load.

I've never seen logs loaded  across the truck like that around here( Perpendicular to the trailer.). Is that a regional thing or is it the old way or what? Seems it would make unloading easier.
Mark, saw bolts are 100" long same as pulp, he'll be about 30,000 over with the load.

The truck has 6 axles counting the front, the truck is way over built to, heavy rig empty.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Mark Wentzell

chevytaHOE5674

Yeah 95% here is 100" wood loaded crossways on the truck and pup. Only time to load them lengthwise is when you have random length logs to haul. But even then I know a few truckers that haul 10' and 12' logs sideways on the truck, then just offset them so the majority sticks out the passenger side.... In no way shape or form is it legal but some do it because they hate trying to load a few long logs lengthwise and having to splice them in with the rest of the 8' logs.

1270d

Wow, never heard of hauling randoms sideways.    Not on the public roadways anyhow.   9 ft wood I have.   Looks normal if its loaded well.   

We had another truck driver crack up a freeze road with ahuge loade of 8 8 sawlogs.  There was no way to fit another stick on the under the loader on the truck and the pup was humped up.  This was 90% frozen hard maple.  I can't imagine what that must have weighed. 

Ken

Very few local truckers carry wood crossways.  It used to be quite popular as most pulp mills only accepted 8' wood.  Now most of our pulp is cut random length.  Much easier to work with.   

It was great to see this thread again.  Probably my favorite. 

In the bottom picture the piles are quite messy.  Sure hard to pile wood evenly when the bark is peeling off.   I do normally take a lot of pride in putting up a neat pile.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Maine372

i have to be careful, this story may be about you! my dad saw a guy pull into line in jay when the trucks were backed up out the gate. this was probly 15 years ago. unloaded a triaxle load of wood into that little pull of on the right as you leave the mill. came back twice more that day and threw half the first load on each trip. had the loader heaped right up, but there was no overhead obstacles between the wood and the destination.

Quote from: Woodhauler on September 05, 2012, 08:20:15 AM
That kind of weight is crazy, have any of you ever pulled a load that heavy? I've had a couple #120,000 + loads on, you know you have a load behind you, even with 500hp.
I have grossed in 108000 with my tri axle self loader truck back in the day! HAVE the biggest loads hauled into several mills! 8600bf of saw logs! Hauled 8000bf on a regular occurrence!

thecfarm

The guy that use to truck for me would load his truck like in lumberjack picture. He would kinda have to throw the wood up towards the cab. This was with a loader up by the cab.He was real good at it. This way he would not have to move his stakes.Now I see most load thier trucks with the wood stacked the same way the truck is going,than cross ways than another tier like the first one.The cross ways one is probably only 6 feet wide. this is all 8 foot pulp.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bobus2003

That kind of weight is crazy, have any of you ever pullled a load that heavy? I've had a couple #120,000 + loads on, you know you have a load behind you, even with 500hp.

Hauled our crane to Williston ND (355 miles) Grossed out at 141,000 lbs It was a pull but the ole 550hp CAT did well

barbender

That's a long haul being that heavy, Bobus. There's plenty of steep grades too. Hwy 85? All I know is 500 hp and an 18 speed kind of spoils a guy ;)

PAFaller

It ain't easy...

PAFaller

Got a little ahead of myself and clicked post before I typed a description. That pic above is after a decent afternoon of skidding. Gave the machine a workout, is was a 20 min skid one way out of a hollow so real hard to be productive but the size and quality of the timber makes it worthwhile.
It ain't easy...

PAFaller

Heres a few more from that job:

Pretty nice stick. thats a 660 with 24in bar for reference. I try to peel the root flares off, makes it a lot easier to debark and saw without all that extra wood on it.

The ground is pretty steep but pics dont do it justice. I laid this one across the hill to keep it from splitting at the crotch and it took a pretty good run down the hill in the process.

Thats the first 'bench' where I can still turn the skidder around, much above that and its not worth the risk. The job is pretty tough, the timber lays above the road but not all the way to the top so there are no roads to go up and then come down over.

End up going to get a lot of it with this, the sawmills 550G. I was never a big dowzer fan, but i am coming around. Pretty amazing what you can do as your skill and confidence builds.

Pretty tall stuff to, I laid this one up the hill and turned around to take a pic where I topped it.
It ain't easy...

PAFaller

An interesting find, its a rifle slug that was in my backcut. Odds of splitting it in half are slim, but I suppose its better I found it with a chainsaw than the mill finding it with the 8inch band headrig!

Heres a what not to do! This was a job from last winter, as a favor to the farmer we were cutting and shoving over some nasty leaners that were hanging into the hay field. It was one of the colder days and this little black birches hinge didnt hold. I should have known better and it would have hurt being a bigger tree, but being as it was small its sort of laughable now.

Cherry sale summer 2011, the boss making sure I am doing it right.
It ain't easy...

PAFaller

I love my job and love to work, but its nice to get away and leave it all behind once in awhile. My wife and I love the outdoors and the northern mountains. Heres the adirondacks, summer 2011

It ain't easy...

Ron Scott

~Ron

Mark Wentzell

Quote from: PAFaller on September 08, 2012, 11:04:47 AM

Cherry sale summer 2011, the boss making sure I am doing it right.

Looks like he's a nightmare to work for.  :D

thecfarm

Good pictures. I see you don't run chains in the summer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!