iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frickman

Thanks for the explanation Tom. You'all must have sandy soild there and no rocks. Around here in our rocks and heavy clay I'd have all the teeth ripped off before the day was done.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

SwampDonkey

We've used those root rakes up here on abandoned farmland to clear off alder and brush. Then later, plant white spruce on the site. Been 100's of acres prepared with those. Sometimes they are on dozers. We only had limited success because some operators cleared off duff and all, which cause frost heaving problems with the planted trees.

DanG it why does water expand when frozen? :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

It really doesn't expand, Swamp Donkey.  It's an old wives tale.  Actually what happens is that it becomes very stable and the rest of the world shrinks in the cold.  I know all about that shrinking in the cold.........don't ask. :D

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Yep, Tom .....my belt shrinks too, even when it isn't cold.  ;D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Delimber & Slasher. Processing wood at the landing and decking area. Ski Brule Mountain timber harvest 2/04.

~Ron

Ron Scott

690 E John Deere Delimber. Works at the landing. Yooper Timber Cutting; Ski Brule Mt. timber harvest; 2/04.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Prentice Slasher. Processes wood products at the landing. Ski Brule Mt. timber harvest 2/04.

~Ron

Ron Scott

John Deere 850B Crawler with Angle Blade. Being used for road construction and building site clearing. Ski Brule Mt. timber harvest; 2/04.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

I was wondering what folks would recommend for a small forwarder. One with a 2 cord capacity bunk and a loader, 6 feet wide bunk, closed in cab. Is there one for around $35,000 USD? I was thinking about using one in commercial thinning operations with average piece size at 6 inches. My production would be 0.75 cord/hr after trail wood is cut. I remember seeing a demo on a woodlot field day and I think they wanted $80,000 CDN, which was too pricey for the production it could muster. We are starting to see a trend up this way where the price of replacing old equipment is gone too crazy, so there are very few younger folks attempting to get into the woods business after their fathers retire. I was told by someone today that he knew a fellow that would have to dish out $1.5 million to upgrade and he's now 57 years old. He says the guy is going to work with what he has and then he's done. He's even laying off 19 people and retaining his top 3 men.

cheers

Scott

1.5 million isn't actually that bad now. I saw a 455 timbco leveling buncher with a Keto 500 harvesting head for 500 thousand. I'd imagine 2 new skidders, a buncher, a delimber and a log loader would run 1.5 to 2 million easy.
 Nice looking dozer Ron, seems to be well equiped for woods work.

Ron Scott

The small timberjack and valmet forwarders are popular here along with the vintage iron mules. Most of the timber producers work with "used" pieces but they keep them maintained and in good shape.

The large producers have "big bucks" in their logging equipment and the payments don't stop during spring break-up.  :-[

The higher their costs, the more they have to produce /day.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Its quite a chunk of change, just the same, when you consider that pulp and softwood sawlogs have only increased by 15% in 15 years, while machinery cost has increased 100% and trucking costs are 30 % of your gross. I wouldn't want that bill over my head. ;) You have to have alot of ground to work to pay them bills. Just to reflect a little bit. Most farms including buildings, land and equipment is barely worth that. I know first hand, we sold 850 acres (450 acres woods) 3 years ago and we had a 160 foot by 120 foot potato storage shed with 20 foot ceilings, 10 years old.  We sold the potato shed for less than half its value.

cheers

Ron Scott

Timberjack Feller-Buncher. A tracked unit works well in heavy snow. Ski Brule Mt. timber harvest; 2/04.

~Ron

Scott

There's a lot of 6 and 8 wheel forwarders around the maritimes with those wheel tracks on, they must work well.
 SwampDonkey, a TJ 215 forwarder is a nice smaller machine, prices are decent too.

SwampDonkey

Scott

Do you have a link to the 215?  I can only find the 810D or larger.

http://www.timberjack.com/products/forwarders/810D.htm

Scott

The 215 is an older machine, see them in the equipment trader now and then. Rotobec makes a nice small forwarder but I'd bet theyre pricey.

Ron Scott

The Logger's Pick-Up. The spare saw on the tail gate is a Husky 254 XP. Flint timber harvest; 2/04.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Sharpening Saws. The chain saws are checked over and sharpened before starting out on a days cutting. Flint timber harvest; 2/04.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Iron Mule Forwarder. Decking wood at the landing. Flint timber harvest; 2/04.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Northern Hardwood Thinning. Selection Harvest. Flint timber harvest; 3/04.

~Ron

Ron Scott

The "Boss" and His Cutter. They ponder as to how to  best buck the large sugar maple for its best grade, Corey timber harvest; 3/04.

~Ron

Ron Scott

The Timberjack Forwarder Assists the Cutter. The large sugar maple log is rolled out of the cutter's way in the deep snow. Corey timber harvest; 3/04.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Measuring the Cuts. The cutter makes measurements on the sugar maple prior to making his sawlog cuts. Corey timber harvest; 3/04. His saw is a Husky 385XP.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

I had a yard full of maple like that, but they had birds eye figure in the sapwood, not all the way to the pith. So what happened was the veneer buyer rejected them for defect and the figure buyer said the figures didn't go deep enough for his market. So, St. Anne made Kraft pulp out of'em for Eastman Kodak.  ::)

cheers

Thank You Sponsors!