FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

HuZzEy

it has a hood 7000 loader still good loader

mad murdock

Quote from: WDH on October 02, 2011, 06:53:46 AM
Fertilization is not at all uncommon in the South.  My company has a major forest fertilization program backed up by decades of research.  Even though fertilization pays out under most timber price scenarios, the biggest return for the silvicultural dollars spent is weed/vegetation control.  Apparently, this is true for the PNW as well.
Most REIT's and private timber co's will fertilize within 5-7 years of harvest, and sometimes mid growth, after the first thinining, as it can speed up growth in a given period of time and increase the yield at harvest up to 25% in volume, especially the fert application 5-7 years prior to final commercial harvest.  We have fertilized as far east as Montana in the past, as it will increase yield volume at harvest by 10-15%, under forest practice rules, they would take the 10-15% increase at the time they fertilized, by being allowed to increase the cut the same year the fertilizer was applied on areas that were under harvest in the same year, since the increase in volume is a documented result of fertilizing.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Meadows Miller

Quote from: HuZzEy on October 02, 2011, 12:10:29 PM
it has a hood 7000 loader still good loader
Quote from: treefarmer87 on October 02, 2011, 11:04:37 AM
thanks ill take a look at it :)

No Problem Mate  ;) ;D

Welcome to the forum Huzzey  ;)  ;D 8) And yeah I can get it wrong from time to time I look at alot of gear Mate   :) ;) :D :D ;D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

SwampDonkey

Mad_Murdock, that was what we concluded to. Within 3-5 years of harvest was beneficial to dominant trees mostly. We found there was delay in codominant growth increase and the suppressed trees, which were low quality anyway, were further suppressed. But we found that most of the nitrate was gone with heavy rainfall events and carried to streams.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

hillsidevt

Quote from: Ron Scott on December 23, 2010, 09:38:23 AM
Some more woodhauler truck names noted.

this has been the best topic so i wanted to bring it back TTT
& here are a few local truck names:
Crazy Dave
Awful
Bud Man
Bug Barber
Got Wood?
Pa's Pad When Ma's Mad
Indian Outlaw
Slimer

240b

I had crazy Dave and Bud man haul wood.  Crazy Dave was a circus and Bud Man was on time and relaxed. 

celliott

Quote from: hillsidevt on November 17, 2011, 07:44:24 PM
Quote from: Ron Scott on December 23, 2010, 09:38:23 AM
Some more woodhauler truck names noted.

this has been the best topic so i wanted to bring it back TTT
& here are a few local truck names:
Crazy Dave
Awful

Know both Crazy Dave and Awful, both live in my town.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

hillsidevt

GRANITEstateMP

Here is our 1975ish TJ230D pulling some firewood.  The trees got uprooted in a tropical storm this past summer.

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Ron Scott

~Ron

Emajsh

i havent seen anything posted here for a while so i thought i would post a few pictures, hopefully i do it right!   

[/img] 
JD 340D  HUSKY 385XP 372XP

Emajsh

i guess the last one didnt come out i'll try it again

treefarmer87

nice pics, that 340 is a rare machine. smiley_thumbsup
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Ron Scott

Nice photos with a good looking 340D at work.
~Ron

barbender

I didn't even know JD made a 340. What year is yours, and what was the last year they made them? That would be a nice size machine for sure.
Too many irons in the fire

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Emajsh on September 01, 2012, 11:21:48 AM
i havent seen anything posted here for a while so i thought i would post a few pictures, hopefully i do it right! 

Nice pix! I have never seen a JD 340 in person. Are they physically smaller than a 440?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Emajsh

Thanks guys, i guess they are pretty rare machines. They only made them for a few years, 84 and 85 i believe. I dont know the specifics about the differences between the 340 and 440. I do know that the 340D is a non Turbo and for some reason you could buy it without a blade or a rear log plate and you could get it with different narrower tires. What the advantage would be to have a skidder without a blade or a rear plate for your logs is beyond me, but luckily mine has both and the regular 18.4-26 tires

Okrafarmer

There is a kid's book called "Logging Machines in the Forest" that I used to get out of the library when I was a kid. I remember seeing a picture of a 340 in there, and it had no blade. I was amused at the time. Maybe JD was just trying to sell a base line skidder with no frills for the most bottom dollar. I don't know.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

barbender

Seeing this topic back up top reminded me I have pics from last winter I needed to upload. Here it's daylight in the swamp.

The Ponsse Buffalo forwarder on the landing.

On the landing with a load of black spruce, I must have been tightening a hose or something. Somewhere between 5-6 cords on the machine, it depends on how much you heap it up.

Here, if you look carefully in the middle of the photo you can see the critter that snuck up about 100' behind me out of curiosity, I guess. I'm glad we finally have a hunting season for them this year, I like having wolves around but they are getting a bit too comfortable around people, IMO.

Well my laptop battery is going dead and I have to hit the sack, I have a ton of pictures from the windstorm this summer that I still have to upload.

Ron Scott

Nice photos of early morning hours and Ponsee Buffalo at work.
~Ron

lumberjack48

barbender good pic, i cleaned up blow down on Co. 9 from the dam out to Hwy 2 back in the 80's. I can't remember what yr the big blow came across Winnie, it blew down many 1000's of cords, Co. 9 was blocked a couple days. It blew down 3' White pine an Norway log trees.

I just ran in to a 1985 340 JD, they want $25,000. for it.

Heres a pic of my boy running my C5-D, that arm had that bend when i bought the  skidder, this is 26 yrs ago.

These are vintage pictures, this is me on the S8 IH decking Aspen poles, 30 yrs ago

This is the Co. truck pulling off the job, he has about 15 cds of Birch saw bolts on, 6 more cords then he can haul legal. Its all back roads to Bigfork and late evening, so why not over load.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

barbender

Good pics, LJ48. I remember the blowdown on c.r.9, if I remember right that storm totally flattened that area where the recent storm kind of jumped around and hit pockets really hard. I still remember the sign the forestry put out there, "windstorm damage, watch for a new forest appearing soon" :) Now it's all 30-40' tall forest. I guess the forestry was right :)

1270d

Very nice photos.  We have the greatest view from our offfice windows, don't we?

Lj, we had a trucker hauling for us a few years ago who hauled in an evening load of tamarack pulp like that.  Crossed the scales over 205000.

beenthere

205,000 lbs ??

How many axles under that 100 ton load?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!