iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobus2003

I have often thought that a multi-axle truck from Wisconsin in western SD would allow some major weight to be hauled, but in the same way alot of your net would be lost due to the weight of the extra axles so it prolly wouldn't pan out very well.

chevytaHOE5674

In Michigan an 11 axle truck is legal to 164,000lbs. That works out to about 20-22 cord and 8500-9000 bdft of logs in my experience. That will change a little if they are all random length logs or all 8 footers.

I've bought as much as 11,000 feet of logs off one truck, and stick scaled 24 cord off a truck. Both trucks didn't have loaders on them so it allows them a little more room for wood.

A Wisconsin truck is good for 1/2 the weight of a Michigan truck. When we load trucks that are destined for Wi they get about 9 cord of wood or 4000bdft. If basswood we put 5000 bdft on, if red oak or yellow birch we put 3700 or so on.

Ianab

They look to be stacked a lot higher than the local trucks are allowed.

May be to do with our roads of course.

They changed the regulations and now have a longer trailer with 2 sets of bunks / logs and one set on the truck. All up weight is the same, but the load is longer and lower. Safer on the winding roads.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

wwsjr

Mississippi allows loggers with forest permit to 84,000 lbs, otherwise 80,000. Typical load is 26 to 28 ton of wood. I use 7 - 8 ton per 1000BF as a estimated yield of SYP or cypress. I have never seen a pup trailer or self-loader in my area, all are 18-wheeler type. SYP Chip-n-saw, SYP and hardwood pulp is hauled tree length and saw logs are usually 12' and 16'. All are loaded on landing with knuckleboom loader.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

SwampDonkey

I've seen a lot of the numbers when working at a marketing board, you get all the scale slips whether it's weight or stick scaled. The average load of 8' hardwood was 34 metric tonnes. That's with a self loader on the trailer, which was very common up until few years ago. In the spring before restriction on weight, I've seen as much as 44 metric tonnes on a scale slip with no loader. A metric tonne is 200 lb heavier than an American ton. We used 2.5 green metric tonnes per cord based on a cunit of solid wood (100 ft3, 56 lb/ft3 hard maple, beech, yellow birch). I know the 2.5 conversion is close because I've bought stove wood that way and it measured out very close. I have a spot in the basement that holds exactly 6 cords, and I can get 2 more cords along another wall and around the corners with adjoining walls. But I only put 7.5 down.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Taylortractornut

Wwsjr     you mentioning   not seeing any  self loaders  in MS.        Theres a DM  Mack running around Belmont with a self  loader set up.       You  may know him  Andy Barnett.    He  used the have a white Rmodel   Mack with a bunk on the back later  set up as a trailer.   
My overload permit starts after sunset

chevytaHOE5674

In Michigan its sort of uncommon to see a log truck without a loader on it. I only know of a few trucks without loaders, and most of them have a sister truck with a loader so that one truck can load two. Around here you would be hard pressed to find many loggers that would even load your truck for you.

wwsjr

There are a few contract haulers around my area, but most trucks and trailers are owned and operated by the loggers themself or a spin-off company owned by the logger. A couple of the loggers I know use two loaders on the landing and if bad road conditions use an old pull-out truck. Drop trailers, hook up to road truck. They operate similar to Bobby Goodson on "Swamp Loggers"
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

WDH

The self loader on a truck fits a system where wood is brought to roadside and stacked.  Then, at a later time, the self loading trucks come and get the wood.  This is a common system where the wood can be stored on the roadside without degrade.

In the Southern US, 99% of the logging is "hot logging".  The wood is processed on logging decks and loaded directly on trucks.  Wood stored on the roadside would not keep with the heat and humidity.  There is more than one way to skin a cat, but sometimes environmental conditions have a say.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I think one of the reasons there is no self loaders on public lands is wood theft. Real easy to go out on a weekend to pick over someone's piles for firewood or logs and not a soul around. Also poachers of figured maple.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

barbender

I'd say we have about 70% self loaders up here.
Too many irons in the fire

treefarmer87

they are handy, i dont know why more people dont have them here, i like the one smvwoody has, it is set up nice. there is a 1900 intl. that has a pto on it. i could put a small prentice loader on it, but i think im going to try to get a grapple skidder, or prehauler :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

snowstorm

Quote from: treefarmer87 on September 17, 2011, 12:21:39 PM
they are handy, i dont know why more people dont have them here, i like the one smvwoody has, it is set up nice. there is a 1900 intl. that has a pto on it. i could put a small prentice loader on it, but i think im going to try to get a grapple skidder, or prehauler :)
you must have missed it there is a bell 3 wheeler with a dangle saw on criags list maine either 9 or 10k. i think it was at poulin tractor in scowhegan

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bobus2003

I can only think of one truck in the Black Hills that doesn't have a Loader on it.. But if the truck doesn't have a loader they don't get loaded

SwampDonkey

There are all kinds of scenarios you could run through that either works best. It just depends on your business. I know several guys that load their truck with a forwarder or slasher or even have a dedicated loader truck with 5 trucks or more on the road hauling. Then there is a log truck driver that just hauls wood for others so he uses a loader on his truck, unhooks next week and pulls a produce trailer. ;)

Ron Scott

~Ron

barbender

When we used to have more custom haulers, we had a higher percentage of self loaders.
Now there are more logging outfits that have their own trucks pulling crib trailers. Our hauls are getting so long, it adds up quick hauling that extra almost 2 cords that a loader weighs. 100 mile hauls to the mill one way are not uncommon anymore, and it seems like it keeps getting longer as markets disappear. But, even a huge operator like Reiger up here is running all center mounts because it makes the logistics much simpler. A woods crew can roll in, hammer up 500 cords on the landing and move on before the trucks even touch the job.
Too many irons in the fire

mad murdock

Here is how we help trees grow after the harvest in the PNW.  A very informational vid from a very good timberland owner.  Their head forester is a super nice guy too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1UTmizwtR8&feature=player_embedded#!

This tree farm has units that I have seen 60"+ leader growth on Douglas Fir reprod in one growing season.  Pretty amazing thing to see!  My hat is off to all you foresters out there!  Keep up the good job 8) 8) 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

sawguy21

That sure brings back some memories. ;D Thanks
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ron Scott

Good video of helicopter spray project.
~Ron

mad murdock

Thanks Ron.  I cannot take credit for the video, I did not tape it. We have other videos and pics on the Co.'s new website.  I don't get to the woods with the crews, I spend most of my time in the shop fixing the aircraft and other things.  I have been in the woods a bit this past week though, we are dialing in a new DGPS guidance system that we have put together ourselves, rather than spend the bocou $$ on a  turn key system for the aerial platform.  It is working better than any system that I have seen IMO,  is much more scalable, and a much better value than others as well.  We have in the past donre a lot of aerial fertilization, but the last 2 years with the sky high fert prices, timber companies are not ponying up the cash to do much, if the market were to stay stronger (timber market), they would begin to spend more. Luckily for us they have returned to a more normal cycle for release and site prep, since the cutting has stepped up markedly with the good export market of late.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

SwampDonkey

Wow, fertilizing forests. I didn't think anyone did that. I didn't think the economics paid off like thinning does. We found you got maybe 3 years of growth spurt with aerial fertilizing, versus 25 years with thinning. ;) I'm not debating it, but some folks must see benefits that we haven't back east.

WDH

Fertilization is not at all uncommon in the South.  My company has a major forest fertilization program backed up by decades of research.  Even though fertilization pays out under most timber price scenarios, the biggest return for the silvicultural dollars spent is weed/vegetation control.  Apparently, this is true for the PNW as well.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Meadows Miller

Gday Treefarmer there is a bogie drive W model Kenworth up in PA with a 120 prentice on truckpaper.com Mate for $8 or 9 k Mate  ;)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!