iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chevytaHOE5674

That truck should be able to gross over 130k if i remember right. Maybe more because it has 2 pusher axles on what looks to be a 9' spread.

An 11 axle michigan log truck is legal at 164k gross.

They scrub the tires pretty good when making sharp turns.

Bobus2003

Quote from: Meadows Miller on June 23, 2011, 08:47:11 AM
Gday

All those axles and you can only gross in at 105000lbs 47.6 ton  :o :) :) :) :) Down her we can gross in at roughly 39 ton or 89000lbs  I think on mechanical suspension and abit more than that on full air with a bogie drive semi pulling a triaxle trailer  ;) and then you get into bogie tri tri B double and at 60 ton/132000 lb ;) gross

Bobus whats your cutoff diameter for sawlogs sounds like your leaving a fair bit in the bush Mate  ???

Regards Chris

7" Top for sawlogs

Ron Scott

Serco Slasher Feeds the Chipper. The topwood piles are fed to the nearby chipper and the chips are blown into the waiting chip van to be hauled to the nearby co-generation plant for fuel wood.

~Ron

Ron Scott

The topwood is chipped and hauled to the local cogen plant while the aspen pulpwood awaits trucking during a 2 week mill shut down. The John Deere grapple skidder remains parked on the landing. Holcomb/Allen timber harvest, 5/11.

~Ron

Ron Scott

The mill has opened back up after its shut down. The decked pulpwood is now being loaded out. Holcomb/Allen timber harvest, 5/11.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Valmet 644 Forwarder. The forwarder of the logger working on the 80 acres just over the line from the timber harvest we were doing, 5/11.

~Ron

treefarmer87

thats a good pic ron.  that is a nice machine
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Ron Scott

The landing and decking area where all the tree length slashing, chipping, and hauling took place has been cleaned up, and the timber sale contract is getting ready for closure. The landowners are quite happy with the work and will plant the area with wildlife trees and shrubs. Holcomb/Allen timber harvest, 7/11

~Ron

SwampDonkey

Nice clean job Ron.  :)

I always thought that if wood was cut it should be taken and used, but some loggers like to leave their left overs, all too common. Not a lot of waste, but usually some "nubbins" left about. It'll all make soil I suppose. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Many of the landowner's management objectives can be obtained through a well planned timber harvest. One of this landowner's objectives was to improve deer management on the property. One of management directions was to plant wildlife shrubs, and food plots on the property.

In this case the logger prepared the landing/decking area for planting and seeding prior to closure of the timber harvest contract.

The landowner has 30 apple trees ready for planting on the landing/decking area along with planned wildlife food plot seedings.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Tree length skidding over an area of hydric soil during periods of heavy rain caused some rutting which will need correction before the timber harvest is closed. The area had been previously rutted and torn up by ORV travel on the existing trail. Holcomb/Allen timber harvest, 6/11.

~Ron

Ron Scott

The rains have ended and after a drying period, a dozer is brought in and the rutted area is repaired. The original rutted ORV trail is now filled and graded into an environmentally suited trail road as an improvement to the landowner's property. The timber harvest is now completed and the contract can now be closed. Holcomb/Allen timber harvest, 6/11.

~Ron

treefarmer87

looks good, around here the usually leave ruts like that :(
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

thecfarm

I would kick someone right in the ~%&@ if they left the ruts. Should be in the contract not to leave it like that. I would start to haul rocks and fill the ruts up on my land while they was still logging.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Nice cleanup, but sad to say, it's not something practiced too often here. On crown it's rutted pretty bad too in places. Makes for a nice surprise sometimes when grown over and your walking along with a brush saw and drop into them ditches.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

quietrangr

1952 Model Feller

1952 Model Buncher

1952 Model Feller Operating 1980 Iron Mule 5000F with Hood 418 Loader

Pretty Green Foliage Crushed by 1952 Model Feller's Felling

Hickory and White Ash Piled by 1952 Model Feller/Buncher

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

lumberjack48

Looks like the Ole strip cutting days, i cut and piled many thou's of cords back in the 60's. We had a Hill Lake dray behind a 03 Oliver cat. This is where you need a good pick Axe for piling it up, i could cut and pile 10 cords a day in Aspen when i was 16 yrs old.

I didn't think there were any Lumberjacks left, quietrangr you sure qualify as one.

Back in the 60's and 70's the the Feds payed us to disk-up and plant Clover on all our landing sites.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Ron Scott

Aspen Regeneration. Quick aspen regeneration within 1 month of the aspen timber harvest. Holcomb/Allen timber harvest, 6/11.

~Ron

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

SwampDonkey

Large tooth (big tooth) is the fastest growing commercial tree up north here. They look like quaking aspen in the photo, but they grow real fast to. I think in Michigan I read that aspen grows most per acre a year than any tree (native to Michigan).

Ron Scott

Wood hauler on its way to the mill, 6/11.

Wood hauler makes the turn onto the mill's route, 6/11.

~Ron

isawlogs

Not a bad looking load of logs at all !!!  :)  Man that rig has a lot of tires to deal with  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

PAFaller

How many bd feet is legal to haul? And how much do they usually haul? I can't imagine log haulers there are any different than log haulers here, hence the two part question ;)
It ain't easy...

woodtroll

How many bdft/ton?
The age old question.
But how much weight can you haul with all the axles?

Thank You Sponsors!