iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

yep neat to see that set up.
i guess those are the saw logs on the right and the tops are on the left? if so what do you saw out of logs like the second one up on the pile?  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

LOGDOG

I wouldn't call those "sawlogs". "Bolts" maybe.... and barely at that. A lot of pallet wood comes from "bolts". Short stock. Some of the high grade aspen/ white poplar is sorted out for things like solid core doors too. I used to mill a bunch of that up in WI.

SwampDonkey

Aspen can get pretty big at times. On our lot we had lots 20-36" dbh that were cut. One mill required a special ticket for over sized aspen, stuff over 24" on the but.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

The decked aspen that can be seen in the photo will be going as pulpwood. The tops will be chipped.
~Ron

paul case

i bet that log will make toilet paper just fine. ;D  just wondering. thanks.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Bobus2003

I so wish we had a Pulp mill here.. So much wood gets wasted because of Size or Crook. Even if i could do post and pole out of the tops I could greatly reduce waste.. but USFS and the Sawmill say no.. So i end up with huge slash piles

Taylortractornut

One of my friends is in the firewood business on the side.  He hates waste and uses a special jig to  cut off 18 inch  sections from  the slash in a CTR saw on his  loader.    He has it set up where he can back a trailer under the saw.
My overload permit starts after sunset

Ron Scott

Another View of the Landing/Decking Area. Aspen and mixed hardwood sawlogs and pulpwood are decked on the left awaiting trucking and the Top wood is decked on the right awaiting chipping and trucking. Holcomb/Allen timber harvest, 4/11.

~Ron

smwwoody

The company I work for at my day job brought these back to the mill today for some PM between jobs

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

treefarmer87

i thought he had a 490 prentice skidder? that is quite a pair :) they are nice
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

smwwoody

The 490 was a loaner while the Tigercat was in the shop
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

treefarmer87

O OK :) I saw them working on the gravel road off 622 with the prentice. it looked like a good skidder, but i bet he likes the tigercat better :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

smwwoody

The prentice is much faster but the tigercat pulls a little more at one time.  So I guess it is dependent on how your crew is geared
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Ron Scott

Chipping the Top Wood and Loading the Chip Van; Holcomb/Allen timber harvest, 5/11.

~Ron

treefarmer87

look @ all those axles on the truck and trailer
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bobus2003

Quote from: treefarmer87 on June 22, 2011, 04:10:07 PM
look @ all those axles on the truck and trailer

Most the chip trucks the saw mills run here have 5 axle trailers and 4 axle trucks.. Makes for heavy payloads without overloading during weight restrictions

treefarmer87

wow! never seen anything like that around here :o
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

smwwoody

How much can they Gross on a truck like that?
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Bobus2003

Our chips trucks were running around 105,000 lbs gross

sawguy21

Won't see anything like that on our highways either. How does it turn without scrubbing the tires?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

Nothing like that here either. During 80% weight restrictions in the spring you aren't likely to get a truck out of the woods roads to begin with. They turn to slime in some areas. Our trailers are just as big, just not the x's. The trailers have more air flow in the load to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

MReinemann

Looking back through this post I figured you guys would get a chuckle out of this one.  1993 K1500.  "The heartbeat of America".  Maybe some day ill get a skidding winch on the tractor.

Meadows Miller

Gday

All those axles and you can only gross in at 105000lbs 47.6 ton  :o :) :) :) :) Down her we can gross in at roughly 39 ton or 89000lbs  I think on mechanical suspension and abit more than that on full air with a bogie drive semi pulling a triaxle trailer  ;) and then you get into bogie tri tri B double and at 60 ton/132000 lb ;) gross

Bobus whats your cutoff diameter for sawlogs sounds like your leaving a fair bit in the bush Mate  ???

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!