iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuZzEy

this was our skidder for 12 years 1943 chevy g506 army truck the log arch used to be a power trailer that my grand dad made to go behind the modal B in the pic added a branden winch a 3spd tranny and ran it off the pto then put it on that truck. it was a great investment buying that treefarmer I broke 4 fingers over the years trying to steer that thing through the woods had manual steering

heres a pic of our future log truck

I also own a thomas 2411 bandsaw mill I bought new 2 years ago 

Ron Scott

Work At The Landing/Decking Area. The grapple skidder skids the tree length aspen to the slasher. The slasher cuts the aspen products and piles the tops on the opposite side for chipping. Holcomb/Allen timber harvest, 4/11.

~Ron

PAFaller

How long have they been working that sale? Certainly looks like they aren't goofing around with the piles they've got there. Is that customary to have so much wood piled or are things tightening up in your area Ron?
It ain't easy...

SwampDonkey

I suspect that hasn't been piled down too long, maybe 3 days. With 3 or 4 trucks going it soon gets cleared out.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

Correct with Michigan trucks hauling 20+ cord a load that pile is gone in a hurry.

paul case

i havent been around a loader like that much. does he have to get a truck to hook on and move him or does he unload the logs he has for weight and move the trailer mounted loader with the loader? pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ron Scott

This job was started on February 18th, but they didn't work most of April due to spring breakup, wet weather etc. They moved back in on May 19th and job is now done with all the wood hauled except for the aspen. The mill taking the aspen has shut down for a couple weeks, so they need to wait until then to haul the aspen.

This is a high production operation, so it doesn't take them long to do a harvest when they get on it.
~Ron

paul case

Quote from: paul case on May 22, 2011, 09:15:32 AM
i havent been around a loader like that much. does he have to get a truck to hook on and move him or does he unload the logs he has for weight and move the trailer mounted loader with the loader? pc
?
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Ron Scott

A truck hooks on to the fifth wheel to move it any distance from job to job, but the unit has a seperate engine to self propel itself short distances and relocate itself around the landing etc.
~Ron

snowstorm

looks to be self propelled. front wheels are turned a bit. with a 5th wheel pin on it so it back a truck into it and go. usually a hydr motor drives the transmission and a hydr ram in place of the streeing box all powered my the crane. at one time it was a truck

Bobus2003

Quote from: snowstorm on May 23, 2011, 07:50:28 PM
looks to be self propelled. front wheels are turned a bit. with a 5th wheel pin on it so it back a truck into it and go. usually a hydr motor drives the transmission and a hydr ram in place of the streeing box all powered my the crane. at one time it was a truck

Thats the way our old Timberline Delimber is.. 6x6 drive, Hydraulic motors at each wheel, 5th wheel pin for distance moves.. Though she will move down the highway at about 20mph

chevytaHOE5674

Most slashers around here are mounted on old 6x6 military frames. As stated they have a hydraulic motor mounted to the transmission input in place of the factory diesel motor. This allows them to move from place to place in the woods all from the loader cab.

Then for distance moves there is a 5th wheel pin for a semi tractor to back under and move them on down the road. 

paul case

i have only seen 1 other loader like this and that was on tv, bobby goodsons all terrian logging ''swamp loggers''. they moved it to a spot with a truck. i think i saw them move it back an forth some with the boom.
inquiring minds want to know. i read that somewhere.  pc
pc

SwampDonkey

Lots of them in the woods up here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

VT_Forestry

Nothing new or unique, just some pine plantation thinning...this stand is 25 and finally getting it's first thinning.  Because we are a water utility, we tend to work on a longer rotation than most industrial operations

Bunching from the rows close to the deck

Stacking logs...This particular logger is able to take the bottom log (sometimes 2) and run them through his mill for smaller dimensioned products.  It takes what would normally be a pulpwood thinning and turns it into chip-n-saw or even sawtimber prices. 

Pretty good growth but should have been thinned quite a few years ago based on those rings :)

Everything is pulled tree length to the deck then delimbed...slash is carried back onto the skid trails
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Bobus2003

Quote from: VT_Forestry on May 24, 2011, 07:22:22 AM
Nothing new or unique, just some pine plantation thinning...this stand is 25 and finally getting it's first thinning.  Because we are a water utility, we tend to work on a longer rotation than most industrial operations

Bunching from the rows close to the deck

Stacking logs...This particular logger is able to take the bottom log (sometimes 2) and run them through his mill for smaller dimensioned products.  It takes what would normally be a pulpwood thinning and turns it into chip-n-saw or even sawtimber prices. 

Pretty good growth but should have been thinned quite a few years ago based on those rings :)

Everything is pulled tree length to the deck then delimbed...slash is carried back onto the skid trails

What length wood are they cutting? 648 Deere Skidder?

VT_Forestry

They are cutting mostly 10-12 footers from the butt log, sometimes 16 if they can.

You're exactly right, JD 648.  Prentice 120 loader and a Hydro-Ax 511 round out the other equipment.  They let me drive the JD the other day and pull some wood to the deck...that was a good time :)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Ron Scott

Logger's Supply Vehicle, Holcomb/Allen timber harvest; 4/11.

~Ron

treefarmer87

they do alot of plantation thinning here too. good pics  VT_Forestry  smiley_thumbsup
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Ron Scott

Tree Length Logging, Aspen. Holcomb/Allen timber harvest, 4/11

Feller Bunched aspen trees await skidding by the John Deere Grapple skidder.

The John Deere Grapple Skidder makes the pickup and skids the tree lengths to the landing for processing by the slasher and chipper.

~Ron

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Jasperfield

The photo's contained within this topic (not to mention the text) could just about teach a non-logger the basic operations of logging even though that person knew nothing whatsoever before.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Ron Scott

The Slasher cuts and sorts aspen products at the landing. The topwood is sorted and decked for later chipping. Holcomb/Allen timber harvest, 4/11.

~Ron

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!