iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

A former TF dealer told me it was an 86 or newer or newer than an 86.  I forget which  ;D  I sent an an e-mail to Franklin/Tree Farmer with the serial # asking what year it is and never heard back from them.  I assume it's one of the last true Tree Farmers before the Franklin takeover/merger. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ga jones

franklin is actually out of business.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Corley5

I heard that they stopped production but didn't actually go out of business  ???  Website still looks good  :)  But no one answers e-mails  :-\
http://www.franklin-treefarmer.com/index.htm
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

venice

What an interesting read! Took me days to get through.  :P

Ron, by any chance, did you take close up's of the log arch used by the amish horse loggers?

Thanks. Venice

Ron Scott

At present, I don't have any close up photos of the Amish horse arch other than what have been pictured. I may be able to get some in a week or so when I check the job again or when i'm at their mill. The horses have been moved off the job now since all the wood has been cut and they only have hauling to do.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Red Oak Sawlogs & Pulpwood. Cut to length products wait to be forwarded to the landing. Schirmer hardwood sale, 11/10.

Note the split sawlog. A good log can be damaged during falling and bucking. Falling this tree across the two track road and its uneven ground caused the sawlog to split and lose of value when cut to length. In this case, the mill owner's son split the log so it was taken to the mill for a salvage cut.

~Ron

Ron Scott

4835 STX SkidSteer. The Amish use one of their skid steers to work the landing/decking area and sort their wood products for hauling. Schirmer hardwood sale, 12/10.

~Ron

paul case

cut some walnut today and got another photo of the truck and trailer.

pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

northwoods1

Quote from: Ron Scott on February 21, 2011, 09:01:12 PM

Note the split sawlog. A good log can be damaged during falling and bucking. Falling this tree across the two track road and its uneven ground caused the sawlog to split and lose of value when cut to length. In this case, the mill owner's son split the log so it was taken to the mill for a salvage cut.

I don't think it split because he dropped it across the road, but when he bucked that log off one end was resting on the ground and the weight of the tree was being supported by it. Then it looks like he made a small cut into the top of the log down to the depth of the split and then began sawing up from underneath and he did not cut fast enough which caused the log to split. With red oak like that you need a big saw to be able to power through the log and not give it a chance to split. Another way to prevent that is to ring the tree and cut down into the log a couple inches all the way around before you begin making the up cut that will help immensely but you may still get some pull out if you saw is not powerful enough.

northwoods1

Quote from: paul case on March 11, 2011, 10:38:20 PM
cut some walnut today and got another photo of the truck and trailer.

pc

Nice looking logs Paul :) you going to saw those up yourself?

sawguy21

Judging from the first picture you have no rear suspension travel  :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

paul case

not sawing these myself. they will be sold in a semi truck load lot.
the right rear suspension is mashed down to the block or almost. it seems a little more soft than the left side,but has no broken leaves or anything else that i can see. it does come back about 6'' to 8'' when empty. pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

treefarmer87

i like the log body,toolbox and head gate on that truck, nice logs too :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

paul case

those log bunks are stout. i cut them off a log bed that was on that truck when i bought it. they are 4'' sq tube 3/8'' wall uprights sandwiched between 2- 4'' angles 3/8'' thick. the bunks will come off by just taking 4 bolts out and it has a 10' steel flatbed with a gooseneck hitch. the front rack is 2x2 tube with 1/2'' rod across it. i have laid big logs on it by accident and it dont give a bit. the toolbox i bought at auction for $5. my 660 w/ 25'' bar will fit in it. its pretty handy.
i kinda think you can build it heavy enough that it wont break or bend out of shape, or you can do it light and redo it and redo it. build it to last a lifetime or spend your lifetime fixing it.  pc
pc

treefarmer87

you are exactly right, you wont ever have to worry about it
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

barbender

Here's a few pics of the black ash I just finished cutting for a friend. He's building a house and wants to use it to make paneling for his ceiling.

Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Nice looking ash. I had a whole acre of mature black ash that the beavers flooded after surrounding stands were harvested. I wouldn't say they were all as nice as those, but they had some decent sizes up to 14" inches or so. These would be not real old, but at least 80 years old because a fire went through about 1908. Found some charcoal in cedar stumps in the area and grandmother knew it burned when she was young, born 1900. The areal view of my woodlot shows them still alive back in 2000.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

barbender

Beavers kill a lot of ash around here too. It seems that flooded stuff usually has the bark fall off of it, and then it will stand there for a long time. I love getting that stuff for firewood, it's nice and dry and so hard you can feel every chainsaw tooth hit it. In a regular ash stand, when a tree dies the bark stays on and it rots right away. Donk, this stand looked to be about 70 years old, there where big burned Cedar stumps throughout the stand here too.
Too many irons in the fire

treefarmer87

nice logs, there isnt much ash around here. if you run across it they dont give you much money for it
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

SwampDonkey

We can get a good dollar from the flooring plant and from the tool handle plant.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

treefarmer87

saw this @ the local tire shop today getting a new set of 30.5s

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

paul case

they do exist, or is that bobby goodson's? pc
pc

treefarmer87

there is a guy here that has a all chipping operation named ricky allen. i think its either his or tapscott bros logging. i believe he bought it in NC.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bobus2003

Doesn't look like its been used for a little bit judging by the rust on the Clam

Thank You Sponsors!