iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

The Western Star Woodhauler arrives at the landing to take out a load of aspen pulpwood. Only a single lead is used with no pup due to the long and difficult access road with steep hills to climb in and out of the timber harvest area. Schirmer hardwood sale, 11/10.

~Ron

northwoods1

Quote from: Ron Scott on January 17, 2011, 09:00:13 PM
The aspen pulpwood is picked up by the Iron Mule forwarder for transport to the landing. Schirmer hardwood sale, 11/10.

That sure looks like a nice woodlot. So much regeneration in there. Really looks like it has been well managed.

Ron Scott

It's a very nice property, 585 acres with 3 private lakes and a landowner's cabin. We have been working the entire area. Proper timber management has greatly improved it and the landowner is well pleased.
~Ron

Ron Scott

The Western Star leaves the landing with a load of aspen pulpwood, Schirmer hardwood sale, 11/10.

~Ron

Maine372

Jan 2009

2004 John Deere 990 with 430 loader and 351 farmi winch. my father and i were working together. mostly he would cut and i would skid. the skidding was the slow step of the operation and i could move the tractor faster and make it pull more. i was probly a little harder on it, but i just used it to its potential, didnt thrash on it.

typically we would punch a road the the back of a woodlot and work towards the front. that way we were falling trees into the open and didnt have to run over the brush. important when you have ag tires and no belly pan. i did once have to replace the fan cause a stick got in the engine compartment. plastic fans dont make good chippers, FYI.

Rick Alger

Question for Ron Scott and others

What is typical daily production for a small iron mule? Will it load a trailer with stakes?

Reddog

Quote from: Rick Alger on January 28, 2011, 09:08:58 AM
Question for Ron Scott and others

What is typical daily production for a small iron mule? Will it load a trailer with stakes?

I will start with the easy one. Loading a trailer.
Yes you can load a high bunk trailer with one. But it will give a kink in the neck as the seat doesn't swivel far enough to give a good view of the loader or the pile based on which side you have it on. And you need to be real close to the trailer as the reach is limited at that height. Leaving you almost working blind on the far side. And again this varies by model as some of the later Mules had more reach. But I don't know of any that the seat turned all the way to face the loader.

A lot of variables in production. Terrain is a big one.
Mules haul between 1.5 and 3 pulp cords depending on the model and bunk configuration. Takes around 15 to 45 minutes to load and unload plus travel time. Big difference in times if loading behind a buncher or a hand crew and saw logs to pulp.

barbender

Ron, do you guys always still have green leaves in november? ???
Too many irons in the fire

Ron Scott

Rick,

Pretty much what Reddog stated on the Iron Mule's production and truck loading. The Mule usually just decks the wood at the landing and the self loader trucks load themselves more efficiently while the Mule keeps on forwarding to the landing/decking area.

Barbender,

This was an odd November. No real cold temperatures or snow until December. A lot of tree leaves stayed green and on the trees longer than usual. Not the norm, however.
~Ron

barbender

Oh wow! I thought you posted the wrong date, I was being a little bit of a smart aleck :) I don't think I've ever seen green leaves up here past mid October.
Too many irons in the fire

Rick Alger

Reddog and Ron,

Thanks for the info.

Ron Scott

It's a long truck haul out. Several landing/decking areas are set up along this 1 1/2 mile two track access road which will now need to be plowed out again after last nights heavy snow storm. Schirmer Hardwoods Sale, 11/10.

~Ron

paul case

have i said....
thanks for this thread? i really enjoy all the pics

a big thank you .. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ron Scott

Your thanks is appreciated. I like it when others post their methods and equipment here as well.
~Ron

inspectorwoody

Neat pictures Ron.  :)

Beautifal country too.

pineywoods

A short video of a plantation pine second thinning in north central Louisiana. These trees are all volunteer in what 20 years ago was a pasture. It all went for pulp. Deere feller buncher, deere grapple skidder,(never seen a cable skidder in this part of the country) 2 prentice knucklebooms loaders, one with a slasher/de-limber, 2 double bunk log trucks.
All operated by the owners and families, 4th generation loggers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxvGz1lAWbM

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

treefarmer87

nice vid, that prentice is a nice machine 8)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Norm

Neat vid thanks.

Is that SYP and what do they use the pulp for?

pineywoods

Norm, yeah that's loblolly aka syp. Goes to the local paper mill. We have over 100 acres of timber that size. Hopefully next cutting will be some sawlogs. Right now, pulp pays better, nobody wants to pay anything for sawlogs.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

SwampDonkey

Piney, are there large patches of pine forest getting eaten by the beetles, or is it patchy? I would guess with the hurricanes of late years and them beetles marching in, it has put a glut on the pine log market. Same as in BC, a lot goes to China now. And the pine logs probably degrade fairly quick with stain, maybe the sawmills are not too wild over denim pine.

Just guesses from afar way up north. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pineywoods

SD the beetle population has about run it's course. Seldom see any beetle killed pine any more. Most of the katrina and Rita logs have been turned into lumber by small bandmill operators. The big mills have never bought logs from a dead tree. What has killed the log market here is a total collapse of the housing industry.  Plus our state legislature enacted very restrictive building codes statewide after katrina. Big commercial mills are either shut down or only running 2 or 3 shifts a week. The small one or 2 man bandmill operations are thriving, but it's all specialty stuff, species the big guys don't want, barn boards, beams, extra long stuff, blocking, pallets etc.

SwampDonkey

Piney, yes I see. The industry is hurting all over.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

Some of what's been going on here this winter  :)   

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Meadows Miller

Corley

Thats one dang tidy looking TF Forwarder you have there  ;) ;D 8) 8)  what year is it Mate  ???

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!