iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Home brew skidder I stumbled across in a right of way.

Kevin

Scott

Ron, the quality of the hardwood in your area really impresses me, most of the stuff around here is chipper or firewood quality. How much does a cord of that nice oak go for?

sawman

'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

Ron Scott

Oak stumpage prices in this area run as follows depending upon quality and logging costs:

Red Oak Sawlogs:  $307.00 - $475.00 per MBF
White Oak Sawlogs: $70.00/MBF
Red Oak Pulpwood: $7.35 - $9.60/cord
White Oak Pulpwood: $7.25 - $15.85/cord
~Ron

Ron Scott

Timberjack Forwarder. Loads an oak sawlog from an oak thinning. Witte timber harvest 10/03.

~Ron

swampwhiteoak

Wow.  You must have really really poor white oak.  Ours probably isn't wonderful but brings significantly higher prices (300-600 MBF).

Ron Scott

Yes, we don't have much white oak of quality. Mostly northern red oak which brings a much higher price on the stump.
~Ron

slowzuki

I read this entire post, that took a while! I'm in New Brunswick and cable skidders are the unit of choice for medium guys. Unfortunately they are rough on remaining trees and terrain with them and really give loggers a bad name.  Driving them through streams while skidding, knocking over unharvested trees.

Small guys use tractors and things like Bombardier Bombi's.
Generally the cab is not fitted, only a roll cage. A tracked pulp trailer is pulled behind and a winch is fitted front or rear.

Ron Scott

Timberjack Forwarder Picks Its Way. The operator carefully picks his way through the oak thinning to pick up sawlogs and pulpwood behind the cutter.

Care is needed so as not to damage any residual trees. Cable skidding was not permitted on this harvest. Witte timber harvest 10/03.

~Ron

Keltic

Outstanding bunch of photos, I just spent 2 hours going through them and enjoyed them greatly. Thanks to all, FMK

Stump Jumper

WELCOME KELTIC. I ENJOY THE PICS ALSO BUT I HAVENT  SEEN THEM ALL YET . IM NEW HERE ALSO AND THERES A  LOT TO CATCH UP ON. HOPE YOU ENJOY THE INFO AND FUN :D :D :D
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Ron Scott

Timberjack Forwarder. Picks up another load of oak along the cutters falling lane. The oak thinning is now completed and the sale closed. Witte timber harvest 10/03.

~Ron

Viking

QuoteThe boots are from Husqvarna, my local dealer stocks a pretty good supply.
These are kevlar, steel toes and paks.

i've got a pair that look like those, but they are made by Viking. they have ice spikes too. good boots, ive had them for 3 years and they take a lickin' and keep on kickin' ;)

etat

WOW, I can't imagine seeing a tree that large, much less trying to figure out how to cut it up for lumber!  Was there really sawmills that were large enough to cut something like that?  Are there any douglas fir still living today that are that large?  I had heard of the big redwoods but I didn't know that the douglas fir could be that size.  I would like to imagine myself walking through a forrest of trees this large.  Only in my dreams probably.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Viking

yeah i wasa trying to picture them my self last night, apparently i would have to be a smurf haha... i wonder how tall that 22 footer was.

Stan

I can see some folks need an all expenses paid trip to "Mystery Trees".  8) Seein' a 300 footer growin' on another tree's branch is quite a treat.   :o
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Sawyerfortyish

I don't think they sawed logs that big although there may have been a couple mills that could handle logs that big. I think they blew them apart with explosives and sawed the pieces

etat

Explosives huh!  That is so cool..  I put that's how the egyptians built those pyramids too!!!!!!  
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Stephen_Wiley

Large trees.......yes they are still here in the NW.

This is Washington's current coastal DF

http://www.americanforests.org/resources/bigtrees/register.php?details=1956

Oregon has one 36 feet 6 inch circumference........329 feet in height.

The biggest are probably still not located in either state. 8)
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Jeff

Vinking, I had to delete your photos. They must be under 15k and be on our server. I had some complaints about these pages loading so slow with your photos. Please format and repost only those that belong to you. Photos from other sites are NOT allowed. They MUST belong to the person uploading or you MUST have explicit permission to use them.

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, its great, but we have to follow some set guidelines here.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Viking

all of the pics were mine, and they were hosted on my own webspace,.but i know most of them were just over 22kb. ill convert them into gif, and insure they are under 15kb, then repost them, i purchased them from my friends for 1cent, now I own them, so I will post them agian :)

Jeff

Gif will never get under 15, and they must be on our server. I wont take the chance that a month from now our forum is full of little red x's.  Purchased photos of other peoples equipment is of little interest here. If you have photos of equipment you run or deal with and can tell us something about it thats great.

Go to tools/uploading photos to get instructions.

Viking

Jeff

Let us know if you need help formatting the pictures and we will give you some help or point you the right way for answers.

Thank You Sponsors!