iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

No, not on this job. They just come to the job in their horse drawn buggy. They have contracted the forwarding with a couple loggers that I referred them to. They are also now carching rides to the job with one of the loggers who picks them up at their mill each morning. Some of the hills on the access road and more snow has been making it a little difficult for their horse and buggy travel.

~Ron

Samuel

Is that allowed?  Or they just can't own a motorized vehicle?
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Ron Scott

I don't know for sure, but they are good at catching rides with others. ;)
~Ron

timberjack240

amish can ride in a vehicle jsut not on sundays. they can run equipment to. the very strtict ones wont jsut jump on the boss has to say u "have to ;) " run that but the ones i work around jsut do what has to be done. acutally an amish bought my dads 440 C but the guy that worked for them " bought " it . he told us that he was jsut helpin this kid buy the skidder and my dad looked at him and said i dont care whos buyin it as long as the moneys in my hand  . theres acutally ppl around here that make a living haulin the amish around . the mill i used to cut for has a big computerized sawmill and an ol amish guy ran the headsaw. theyre not as stupid as you might think

forest.c

the amish here use some power equipment and they never refuse a ride.
forest.c

Ron Scott

Tree Farmer Forwarder C5D. Forwarding oak sawlogs, pulpwood, and firewood for the Amish cutters. Schirmer hardwood sale, 1/10.

~Ron

huskyxp

nice porter,i owned one like it sweet!! single bunk,barko 40 loader,deutz,23.1/26 tires,very tough reliable machine 8)

footer

Does any one still use mechanical shears? I found a Barko 775a for sale pretty cheap with a shear on it. I talked to the service rep at Barko and he said they are pretty much obsolete, because of the damage they do to the log. How far up the trunk is ruined by one of these sheers?

chevytaHOE5674

The amount of damage from a sheer head depends on species, season, temperature, site, yada yada. But I've seen splitting up to 9-10 feet. Remember generally your best log is the butt log, and an inch at the bottom is worth a foot at the top.

Ron Scott

Haven't seen any used here for the past 10+ years.
~Ron

stonebroke

Wouldn't that be a plus for firewood trees?

Stonebroke

Ron Scott

It could be if firewood was all that you were producing, but you would not want to devalue your higher valued wood products of grade logs, pulpwood, etc. by damaging or splitting the wood.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Bucking Oak Sawlogs. This young sawyer bucks oak sawlogs which will be forwarded by his father with the Iron Mule. Schirmer hardwood sale, 1/10.

~Ron

treefarmer87

i cut with a jonsered 2171 mostly poplar sawlogs, skid with the tractor(soon to be replaced with a c5 treefarmer) and load with my 110 prentice
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

graves logging

i worked for a company for 18 years we used new 860 tigercats tracked machines.and rotine 8 wheel drive porters.good set up.we cut alot of wood.

Ron Scott

More Wood Hauler Names noted on the road:

• Shade Tree
  • Quick Man
  • Road Runner
  • Timber Taz
  • Low Fat
  • Hooter Patrol
~Ron

Bobus2003

arbo71

How does that work ? Never seen anything like that before.

Bobus2003

Its a whole tree wood processing unit, Has a 5th wheel Pin so it can be towed to the job with a Semi, once there its can move its self around the job... There are a few differnt versions of the above machine:

http://www.hahnmachinery.com/htl300.html

And a Short Wood Version:
http://www.hahnmachinery.com/hsw110C.html

Ron Scott

4510 Iron Mule Forwarder, unloading oak sawlogs, pulpwood, and firewood on the landing. Schirmer hardwood sale 1/10.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Woodhauler. Trucking hardwood sawlogs at the end of a winter's day
over 1 1/2 miles of snow covered wood's access road. Schirmer hardwood sale, 1/10.

~Ron

barbender

I think a lot of folks would mess themselves if they got to ride in a woodhauler on some of our woods roads around here. Even a lot of OTR drivers. "You're driving a truck in THERE?!?" They tend to get a little hairy with the icy hills, corners, and tight spots. It's what makes hauling wood interesting though, it gets a little boring cruising down the highway.
Too many irons in the fire

Ron Scott

The day before, this woodhauler went off the road on the icy curve just beyond where  the picture was taken. The driver just missed a large black cherry tree and it was lucky that he only ended up on flat ground in a a red pine plantation of small trees. He was stuck pretty good though and had to call out the skidders for some help. More lost time on the last load at the end of the day.
~Ron

Bobus2003

Ron Scott

That's not good. ;) Tell us the story.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!