iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I was going to ask if that was in the hills, nice pics. I work with a fella that logged out there for quite a few years- his name is Wally Houtari.
Too many irons in the fire

Gary_C

Quote from: barbender on January 02, 2010, 09:25:09 PM
This is a common view for a wood hauler in Minnesota that Gary C will recognize- sitting in line at Sappi Fine Paper in Cloquet, MN. These trucks are being unloaded into the woodroom, which basically eats the wood as fast as the Liebherr crane can throw it in. It takes a good crane operator about 3 minutes to unload a rail trailer, probably 4 with a bunk trailer. 

Nice pictures. That scene is not so familiar any more as Sappi has been so stingy with their quota.

But don't you have it backwards? You should be down in Georgia in the winter, not here in the Frozen North. Especially since it's 30 some below zero this morning.  :o
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

stonebroke

Quote from: Bobus2003 on January 03, 2010, 03:15:43 AM
440 John Deere Cable Skidder Working in Ponderosa Pine & Tending Slash Piles

Link Belt 1600 Excavator, Fitted With PATU 410 Processor (Stroke) Working in Ponderosa Pine

Peterbilt Log Truck Loaded with Ponderosa Pine, Black Hills So. Dak.

stonebroke

I didn't know the Black Hills grew such nice timber.

Stonebroke

barbender

There is some real nice timber in the black hills, from what I have seen out there. Beautiful country, it has a character all its own. Gary, I'm thinking you have it right , what am I doing up here when it's -30 :o. I just talked to Jake, he said it is cold there too. Only 30°, I reminded him that is 60° warmer than here. :) They have their own struggles down there though, it's been so wet they can't get any wood out.

Bobus2003

The Hills have there areas of Really nice wood.. I'm working a 160 Acre tract that hasn't been touched in over 70 years.. and I'm pulling some really dandy wood.. Plus right now the USFS is Pushing alot of sales too try and get ahead of the Pine Beetle outbreak so tracts that wern't too be done for another 5-10 years are getting done now

barbender

NewPage in Duluth, MN. You can see the bridge that crosses from MN into WI in the background.

240b

This the best thread on here. Thanks all

Ron Scott

Thank you. We appreciate your interest and contributions to the thread. ;)
~Ron

240b

how do you guys get that frozen pulp to stay on those rail trailers?  DOT would just freak out if they saw that here.

barbender

They have a piece of square stock about 1/2" by 1/2" welded on top of the main frame rail that kind of bites into the wood, it's actually more secure on top of a rail trailer than a flatbed, because the wood is only touching those two points whereas it can kind of slide across a flatbed. Of course, the crib trailers probably hold the load the most securely, but it ends up being a taller load. You can defineately feel the difference. The other nice thing about a rail trailer is if you start to flip over, the load will just fall off instead of flipping the truck. Or so I've heard  :D

Gary_C

Quote from: 240b on January 05, 2010, 09:03:26 PM
how do you guys get that frozen pulp to stay on those rail trailers?  DOT would just freak out if they saw that here.

Well, the MNDOT doesn't think they do, and they have ONE picture to prove it. And they trot that same one picture out every chance they get to harass all pulp haulers.

They did make two changes in the new tiedown regulations for crossways haulers (rail trailers) a couple of years ago. One is you have a center hold down for your straps to go over and the other is that you have to uniformly crown the top of each section so the strap touches every log on the top of the load. No more going down the road with a long rail trailer with the straps flapping in the breeze in the center of the load.

That crown on the top is also for multi bunk trailers unless you have front and back barriers to prevent escape of any log. If you do have end gates and the bunks are close together, you do not need tie downs. If you don't have front and back endgates and your loads are being stick scaled, you are destined to be in conflict between your stick scaler who can't measure any higher than the outside log and the DOT that says you have to crown the load and give away the crown to the mill.  ;D

Actually I think there has been a change to more bunk trailers and less rail trailers. With a crib trailer you can throw the logs in and go. No more throwing straps.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

240b

back when we had 4' wood there was always a few sticks by every big frost heave.  everything is long now. 12' to 48' don't miss 4' wood

timberjack240

i remember my pap tellinme that they cut 5' peices and loaded it by hand . started w a bow saw till he go the money for a chainsaw lcs 26 homelite . there one still inteh basement actually .

rick f

Here's what I use 1250 jd with an elkem winch.    40 hp tractor  one picture of the woods road

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

bill m

This is my equipment. I also have a home made farmi style winch but don't have pictures at this time

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

barbender

Gary- the trucks I'm running now are both pulling crib trailers with the end barriers, it is nice not having to chain down.

barbender

This is at Savanna Pallets in McGregor, Mn. One of their yard trucks is unloading me.

barbender

This is out at the landing on a northern hardwoods harvest- red oak, soft maple, white birch, aspen, and a little basswood. The John Deere forwarder is loading the truck with birch pallet bolts.

barbender

Gary, do you ever bring any wood up to savanna?

timberfaller390

Here a couple of links to some skidder safety videos. They are kinda old but thought ya'll might enjoy them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEleTqx1gSc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFc4qYgbhhw&feature=channel
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

dail_h

Hey Tom,
   Boy,wouldn't some of those old shortwood guys with Homelite 55s n bow blades,and a coupla bigsticks like ta get in those rows of loblollys in Barbender's first coupla pics??? Ooooopps,I'll show my age if I ain't kerful
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Ron Scott

The Amish Cutters are on the job. Schirmer hardwood sale; 1/10

Their transportation to the sale area is parked for the day.

The horse is taken care of and fed during the work day for the trip home.

~Ron

stonebroke

Do the Amish skid with horses?

Stonebroke

hollywoodmfg

Two amish guys skidd with horses in this area but most have skidders

Thank You Sponsors!