iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedar Eater

Loppers? Can you show us a picture? :D :D :D

Seriously, what are you gonna do with five acres of sapling stumps that start to resprout? I generally use a bush hog, but my father has a 5' mower that goes on the front of a skid steer (aka skip loader aka Bobcat). It'll cut up to 4" trees. I'll try to get a picture.

Cedar Eater
Cedar Eater

David_c

well i plan on opening up the whole 5 acers all the trees that are big enough i will turn into cordwood for sale. ;D the saplins i will just burn or get someone in here with a chipper. the girls want horses ::) so thats were they'll go. i hope to remove all stumps and make it look nice sick of looking at just trees part of it i plan to plant some kind of greenery like clover for deer and other wildlife and i'm sure they'll like it. 8) becuase like i've said eariler not much open space around here. but your right it does grow back real quick around here.  :'(

IndyIan

David_p,
To keep those stumps from resprouting, paint the top with round up just after you cut them.  It will go down into the root system and prevent any new growth.  

Might be a good way for the girls to help earn their horses  :), they could follow you around and paint the stumps.  Just make sure they have some rubber gloves on.  

Another good tool for what your doing is a brush axe:
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=1&page=10246&category=2,45794

Good luck,
Ian

David_c

thanks indy i will definatly check out the round up and it would be nice to put the girls to work :D the axe might be nice for clearing trails but i can get lower to the ground with the loppers. thanks though what i really need (want) is a cearing saw.

ksu_chainsaw

go through the area and spray "Crossbow"  it is a brush killer, and will not kill the grass around the stump, allowing it to sbe applied with a sprayer.  our horse pastures always grow up in cedars and hedge trees.  we just run the bush-hog through there to clear it out.

charles

David_c

thanks charles where can i get that? like agway or something

ksu_chainsaw

we go to the county noxious weed department.  in KS it is considered a controlled chemical and you have to have a applicators liscence for it.  there are several other brush killers out that stores like TSC and Orschlens have that do the same job.  Just make sure that you read the label as to what types of vegetation it kills

Charles

Ron Scott

More "log hauler" names noted.

*Nose cone
*Getty-Up & Go
*Big Bird
*One-Of-Seven
*Dog Train
*No...You

~Ron

Ron Scott

Forwarding Oak. Forwarding oak sawlogs and pulpwood through an oak thinning area. Witte timber harvest 8/03.

~Ron

David_c

Ron Scott

Classic Log Hauler. 1946 Chev carries load of white pine logs. Note modern day log hauler behind. Logging Congress, Escanaba, MI 9/03.

~Ron

David_c

nice old truck. now theres a man that gets every bit of use out of a peice of equipment.

RMay

Good to see old logging trucks like that , There becoming a thing of the past  ::)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

isawlogs

What is or are Loppers  ??? ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

David_c

like pruners for your garden but bigger i can lop a 2" tree with them. a clearing saw would be better but......

isawlogs

Thanks ...  ;)  now I can go to bed smarter.... ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ron Scott

"Big Bird". This new Kenworth was just being delivered to Lutke Forest Products, Manton, MI and was on display at the Logging Congress, 9/03.

Owner Jason Lutke lets his drivers pick their truck color, thus the name "Big Bird". Jason must have found someone to drive it home as it can now be easily spotted "on the road" at work.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Western Log Hauler. parked along the roadside waiting for a "loaded hauler" to come out of the timber harvest area's single lane haul road before it enters for its load of logs.

Note its "piggy backed"extended log trailer when traveling empty.

Tahoe National Forest, CA; 9/03

~Ron

Ron Scott

Timber Harvest; Regeneration Cut. Tahoe National Forest, CA; 9/03.

~Ron

Kevin

Ron, I would think the erosion on a slope like that would be significant, what's your experience?

Ron Scott

Yes, erosion can be a problem if the resource management doesn't continue with post harvest management. Water bars are placed, vegetative seeding is done or trees are planted, survival counts are completed the 1st and 5th years with regeneration to be insured within 5 years after the harvest.

With proper management planning, implemention, monitoring, and evaluation the erosion is controlled.
~Ron

Tom

There is a tree service in Jacksonville, quite a lucrative one, that has all new equipment.  Each of the crews was allowed to name his truck and the owner, Ben, had someone do the artwork for each one.  They were doing the job where I was sawing Live Oak at the Church in Mandarin, Fl. and I wish I had gotten pictures of each truck.  there were 5 or 6 on site.  The are emerald green with yellow art work on each one.  This one is the "The Hulk" and the driver has even stuck a hulk toy (red) in the radiator grill.

The owner of the company came wheeling in this afternoon in his brand new emerald green  three quarter ton with fancy wheels, radios, and aluminum tool boxes.  Emblazoned across the front of his hood in big Yellow letters it read, "BOSS". :D

Ron Scott

Some really appreciate their equipment with a "personal interest" and take pride in it. Such care and "colors" soon becomes their trade mark as well as good advertising.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Some more Truck Names.

• Hello Darling
  • PaPa's Ride
  • The Buzzard
~Ron

Ron Scott

Husky 372 XP. This sawyer is happy with his new 372 XP as he breaks it in on some white oak sawlogs. Witte timber harvest 10/03.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!