iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

semologger

This thread just needed bumped up. Lots of new guys around.

Big Stick

Am suprised to read more about cords,than millions of board feet in a sale.

Photo test.

[img width=500 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/v136/BigStick/NoUndercut.jpg[/img]

SwampDonkey

I'm surprised not to see m3. Not. 

Sometimes even more surprised that the photo posting tutorial isn't noticed. But I can understand when there is a photo posting icon in the posting header. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Big Stick

I guess when a guy is putting a minimum of 5 million boards a year on the ground,"cords" lose their luster.

My bad,for being desensitized..............

SwampDonkey

That's a lot of boards, 'bout 10000 cords.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

I'm going in the field this afternoon. We have a Ponsee processor cutting hardwoods, and spruce/fir, so i will grab some pictures and videos if i get a chance.

barniescamp

Quote from: isawlogs on August 09, 2006, 10:57:14 AM

For those of you who ever wundered how they got the chips out of the trucks when they got to the mills ..   

This was taken at the Tembec mill in Témiscamingue Québec . Both wear being unloaded at the same time . I work here been here for five years I used to haul chips for them before from Bancroft and Huntsville Ont.

Ron Scott

Loaded Chip Van of Scotch Pine Chips is pulled up the steep hill on the access road after spring break-up. The John Deere 450E pulls while the 380 Timberjack grapple skidder pushes. Schirmer wood chip harvest; 4/08.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Equipment Used On A Fuelwood Chip Harvest. Clearcutting wildland scotch pine plantation for fuel chips. The areas will be replanted next spring with 2-0 red pine. Schirmer Fuel Chip Harvest; 4/09.

411 EX Hydro AX

380 Timberjack Grapple Skidder

Small Trelan Chipper

~Ron

Ron Scott

Scotch Pine Chip Harvest. The timberjack grabble skidder pulls the poorly formed Scotch pine trees to the chipper for processing and blowing into the chip van. Schirmer chip harvest; 6/09.

~Ron

tractorg25

grew up pulp wood / short stick logging. Felled with Poulan straigt bars and bucked with bow bars. skidded with a 1952 D2 Cat with a sled that would hold two cord. Hauled to mill on an old two ton IH truck similar to the one in Tom's picture. Now I have moved up to a D6 Cat and John Deere  wheel tractor for skidding, still fell and buck with chain saws and haul with a 1973 C-65 chevy truck and tandem trailer. 10 to 16 ft saw logs and ceder fence post is all I cut now.
Clint Goodson

Ron Scott

Trelan 5600-L Chipper. Chipping Scotch pine; Schirmer chip harvest; 6/09

~Ron

semologger

Ron Scott

West Virginia Logging. My return to Richwood West Virginia after 31 years found logging to be quite active now in the Richwood area. While I was their during the early 1970's the Monongahela N.F. was under court injunction prohibiting clearcutting.

Here a log tuck travels down the main street of Richwood, West Virginia, the Gateway to the Monongahela National Forest, 6/09. I never saw this happen during my 4 years there. Only coal trucks .

Another log truck makes a turn from Oakford Avenue on to Main Stree in Richwood, W. Va., 6/09.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Columbia Mill Road Sign; Craigsville, W VA; 6/09

A wood hauler prepares to make a turn into the large Columbia hardwood plywood mill in Craigsville, W Va; 6/09.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

Ron,

Is that a sawmill or veneer plant? As you probably know, they are the largest veneer manufacturer in the country I believe. They have a plant up in Presque Isle, Maine and send a buyer around the Maritimes and Quebec for veneer to scale. I know one fellow that works there and a former scaler as well. The fellow that works there now has worked under me at the Marketing Board.

Ron Scott

It's quite a mill complex producing a number of wood products including hardwood plywood and fiber board. The Jeld-Wen Wood Fiber division is also located there in the Nicholas County Wood Products Park. It's the most wood producing activity that I've seen in awhile.
~Ron

GregW

Here's some old iron...

1974 International S8 "Paylogger". Weight is about 20k. 3-53 Detroit, 23.1x26 tires, Gearmatic 119 winch. I bought this about 15 yrs ago. Used it full-time logging until 3 yrs ago. I now only log part-time, mostly in the winter months. This has been a good skidder and has used me well.

I use it sometimes to load big logs on my sawmill ...

IH quit making skidders in the early 80's I think. I have used JD's, Timberjacks, Tree Farmers and Franklins. I like this IH the most of all.

SwampDonkey

Dad had a late 60's Tree Farmer, gas engine. The only thing I seen him replace was the battery. He used to remove it when the machine was sitting idle for a few months. I was going to say he replaced the manifold, but all he did was repair it because I think parts were hard to find at the time. Never sold it until he was ready to sell the farm. Dad used to cut all his own wood on the farm for fuel and for mill sales. There was places far off the fields he never even got to. "Why go way over there? Lots of wood right here."  I tried to convince him to cut some huge aspen at the end, close to the field to, but he was all done farm'n. :D :D :D

There was a small grove of large toothed aspen that grew back since a cut in 1994, and in 2007 those trees were already 8" dbh. Fastest growing native tree I've seen around here, it will out pace trembling by far.

Weekend_Sawyer

Saw this harvester sitting out by the road in Southern Maryland along 301. No one was around so I didn't get any information. It says BELL on it. looks like a fun ride.

Here's a front view. Looks like George Lucas would like one for his movies  :)

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tripp

That is one wild vehicle. I like it!

Tripp

wi woodcutter

That thing looks like it would turn on a dime and give you eight cents in change. :)

It also looks like a accident waiting to happen.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

Don K

Excellent piece of equipment for clearing really dense stands of young pines. The first thinning on my dads place was done with a bell three wheeler with a shear head. he could get in some tight spots and didn't tear up a lot of stuff. Frasseling skidder was bigger than he was. They are not real common. Don't seem to work good in the hills (like a Z-turn mower on a sideslope) and a back weight disadvantage for larger trees.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Thank You Sponsors!