iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I carry a first aid kit in my brush saw harness as well as fire retardant ansil pack.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Hitachi 150 Tracked Harvester. This tracked processor is being used on a cut to length timber harvest. A Valmet 544X Forwarder works with the processor. Ewald timber harvest; 5/08.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Hitachi 150 Tracked Harvester. Cut to length harvesting; Ewald timber harvest; 5/08.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Valmet 544X Forwarder. The Valmet fowarder is used to support the Hitachi 150 tracked harvester in the "cut to length" timber harvest; Ewald timber harvest; 5/08.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Valmet 544X Forwarder. Wood processed by the tracked harvester is forwarded to the landing'decking area.

~Ron

stonebroke

What kind of trees are those ?

Stonebroke

Ron Scott

Those are aspen in the above photo . The timber sale was mostly aspen and red maple, and some black cherry.
~Ron

stonebroke

So does it go mostly for pulp or do they saw those nice aspen?

Stonebroke

Ron Scott

10 inches and up will go for sawlogs if straight and sound and the rest goes for pulpwood.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Kenworth Woodhauler. The Kenworth woodhauler picks up the sorted wood products decked along the access road. The wood deck in front are aspen sawlogs.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Kenworth Woodhauler at the landing. The Kenworth has been turned around at the end of the access road and is now being loaded with aspen pulpwood for transport to the Tenaco mill 40 miles away.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Timber Harvest Completed. This shows some of the thinning area a couple days after completion by the tracked harvester.  The harvester does a good job on getting the slash down. Ewald timber harvest. 5/08

~Ron

Ron Scott

FT-153 Fabtech Tracked Harvester. The harvester arrives at the timber harvest area for unloading. This harvester replaces the Hitachi 150 tracked harvester seen on previous harvests as the timber producer upgrades to a newer and faster machine. Maturen storm damage timber harvest; 8/08.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Fabtech Tracked Harvester FT-153. The Fabtech unloads on the county gravel road to prepare the access into the harvest area. Maturen timber harvest; 8/08.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Fabtech FT-153 Tracked Harvester. The Fabtech harvester clears and widens the narrow winding two-track road into the storm damaged timber area as the first order of business to allow for truck access and hauling. Maturen timber ahrvest; 8/08.

~Ron

JLeBouton

semologger

ron i was curious you said
Quote from: Ron Scott on September 01, 2008, 06:49:09 PM
Fabtech FT-153 Tracked Harvester. The Fabtech harvester clears and widens the narrow winding two-track road into the storm damaged timber area as the first order of business to allow for truck access and hauling.

But do you bring in a dozer to build the roads afterwards to build the roads? if so dont the stump holes give ya problems?

Ron Scott

We very seldon use a dozer since we have many existing two track roads that usually need minor improvement for timber hauling. In this case, there was already an existing winding two-track road with a firm base, but not wide enough and with curves theat were too sharp for the 100 foot wood hauler to negotate. (Our loggers are very particular with their semi's and don't want to dent them or get them dirty.  ;) )

The Fabtech cut additional marked trees along the two track to widen and straighten it out for wood hauling. The valmet forwarder was then used to pull the stumps and fill the stump holes and pack the road in. The woodhauler then packed it in very well for a firm base.

When we left the harvest area the road was graded with the forwarder blade as neded and by dragging a tree top over it to smooth it out for two wheel drive vehicle use. We left the landowner with a good passable road that a pickup could hardly negotiate to begin with.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

As what Ron said about the Trucks not getting messed up, some truckers here don't even like a road with green limbs over hanging and swatting the mirrors.  And they will tell you right quick. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

barbender

If you ever had to pay to replace any of those chrome trim parts you would understand why...
Too many irons in the fire

Ron Scott

FT-153 Fabtech Tracked Harvester.  Cutting aspen products to length in a blowdown timber harvest. Maturen timber harvest; 7/08.

~Ron

nas

Ron
  What is the aspen used for?
Is it all for pulp? OSB?
Thanks
Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

SwampDonkey

It's (veneer quality aspen) often veneer product core wood. Take a sheet of birch plywood, you have that razor thin birch veneer outside and the core layers will sometimes be aspen. I can smell the stuff when ripping on the table saw. Has that asprin smell in the dust.

Ron Scott

Aspen is used for all of the above, lumber, pulpwood, OSB, core stock, pellets, chipwood, etc. depending upon the quality and local markets.
~Ron

Bill Johnson

Photos taken on Nighthawk Timber job in Brunswick township (east of Gogama, south of Timmins, west of Gowganda...sort of).

First is a truck being loaded with 8 foot jackpine pulp most likely going to Nairn Centre for chipping.

Second is piles of pulp wood and sawlogs at roadside waiting to be hauled

Third is the processor and a closer shot of the processing head

Bill

Thank You Sponsors!