iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Yeah, quite a while to complete. You can get a few producers to do a good job, but you have to watch most of them close. Some tend to high grade if not watched over, and some take a long while and you wonder how they pay the bills. Had one guy that took 3 years and the owner was a town. They had budgeted $45,000 a year from harvests from a 300 acre woodlot. $45,000 was close to the figure from the volume removed in those 3 years. It took 3 years and the owners were at a point where they were calling everyone involved thieves.  That same lot had been badly high graded 10 years before. ::)

At the same time I looked after another lot that we harvested in the months of January-March over two years and collected the same amount of money on 80 acres. The job looked real good and you couldn't even see the skid paths after 3 years. Chalk full of regen. We had about 6 acres of clearings (I measured them), plus roads and the clearings where no bigger than 2 acres and down to less than 1 acre. It was areas of mature fir and aspen. Some of the aspen was veneer, most of the hardwood removed was small and low grade.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

AlexHart

Well I've just recently joined this forum and I have really enjoyed reading this thread, especially seeing how you midwestern guys seem to put these 4 wheel forwarders to such effective use.   Almost nobody runs machines like that out here.    I just purchased a 1987 Franklin 132 forwarder from out in NW Illinois and had to pay to get it trucked all the way out here to Connecticut and can't wait to try it out once all the repairs are made on it.   Maybe I can get some pics and add something to this thread.   

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum! You can't be too far from me, I'm just over the line in MA

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

AlexHart

Thanks Dave,   I had never heard of Alford Mass and I just looked it up and you aren't very far from me at all.   I truck quite a bit into Bob Beham's yard in Ashley Falls and hauled a lot of logs off of Mt. Washington this winter which looks very close to you.  Its pretty funny I'd never heard of your town and I drove right by it dozens of times the last few months. If you ever need trucking or anything let me know.   

Dave Shepard

I'm about ~20 minutes from Bob. He said he stops by the Forum once in a while.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

timberfaller390

WOW took a full week to get through that one, and that was just skimming through to look at all the purdy pictures. :D I especially liked the 3 pictures of the old log trucks,except for my saw and tractor all I run is old junk.. I mean antique equipment   ;D
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Harvester

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum, I just dreamed that I was -25 years and could start with the gear that below link shows:
http://www.e-series.fi/revolution/index.htm
The younger has a pretty good start nowadays with excellent machines, I had a TJ404 with "open cab" and the blue heaven above my hard hat, free exhaust smoke in my face.
:)

stonebroke

wonder how much they cost?

Stonebroke

semologger

I want a couple of the simulators. They look like fun.

stonebroke

semologger

The real things would be much more fun.

Stonebroke

zackman1801

Quote from: semologger on June 04, 2008, 06:53:26 PM
I want a couple of the simulators. They look like fun.

we have four computers in our forestry class with both Harvester and Forwarder simulators on them. they are pretty cool because with the joysticks you buy for the software the controls are actually very similar if not the exact same as alot of Valmet equipment.  the only things these lack is graphics. the graphics are utterly horrible, the limbs on the trees are just green triangles on the stem, and the white birch trees look like someone painted a spruce tree white.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Harvester

Quote from: stonebroke on June 03, 2008, 04:33:16 PM
wonder how much they cost?

Stonebroke
Stonebroke, according to a Scandinavien Forestry News magazine price for the harvester 1470E is US$ 616,000 and the forwarder 1270E is US$ 450,000, Cheap  ::)

stonebroke

I wonder how much wood you would have to cut ina average day to pay for that?

Almost like you are working for John Deere.

Stonebroke

SwampDonkey

Up here it means a lot more woodlots will suffer with the clear cut mentality pushed onto the operator to pay for them. It's more about finance sometimes than management.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Quote from: stonebroke on June 11, 2008, 05:34:09 PM
.............Almost like you are working for John Deere.

What does that comment mean?  and directed at who?   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Woodhog

Maybe they mean John Deere FINANCE Division..

It would only then cost around a million dollars to get some wood out and sell for nothing.

Here now you have to run 3 processors to make what at one time you made with one.

Lets also buy a tractor trailer and loader to have the complete package and haul our own wood. The cost per mile for fuel on the highway for that is only about $1.15 per mile around here.

It looks like fun tho sitting in there with no blackflies chewing you up... :D

stonebroke

Quote from: beenthere on June 11, 2008, 06:54:57 PM
Quote from: stonebroke on June 11, 2008, 05:34:09 PM
.............Almost like you are working for John Deere.

What does that comment mean?  and directed at who?   :)

It means that you are working real hard just to pay the equipment off and you really don't make any money except for the equipment maker. It is common among us farmers.

Stonebroke

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Our Next Job. Last week's severe storms have caused a lot of blowdown and tree damage to local woodland areas. This is a salvage job we have started the field work on today. Not our favorite kind of work areas.

~Ron

zackman1801

looks like a big mess, lots of springpoles to deal with.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

SwampDonkey

What a nightmare to work in. Is a lot of that aspen? Seems like small root balls.

Ron Scott

Yes, it is mostly aspen with areas of standing sawlog size aspen that should have been harvested several years ago. The landowner realizes that, but just didn't. We are going to harvest all of the aspen and downed red maple and oak in and around the blowdown and leave the intermixed standing red and white oak for wildlife. It should end up looking like a shelterwood cut.

There is also a small blowdown area of red pine plantation of pole size timber that we will try to have cleaned up also.

Yes, a mess and not the safest areas to work.
~Ron

twobears

last week we also got a very bad wind storm. saddly,i lost a friend in it as he was running a log loader the storm hit.he saw a tree coming for the loader and tryed running for safety.he didn,t make it.he was going down the steps of the loader and got hit acrossed the back.he died right there..  :'(

delbert

Ron Scott

~Ron

twobears

YEP RON:that really bothered me.who would ever think that a tree would get ya as you ran a log loader.i can see a log getting away from ya,the loader busting,or falling off the loader..but,hit by a blow down?? i figured i,de post it so everybody else would know it can and has happened.. :'( i worked with kenny for several years on a logging job.

delbert

Thank You Sponsors!