iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Johnson

We seem to have lots of photos of equipment used to harvest, process, and transport wood but not a lot of shots of equipmnet used for silvicultural purposes.

This is the bracke (Bracke Kultivatorn) which I believe was designed and originally built in Sweden. It is a patch scarifier though the model used in parts of Canada had a seeding mechanism built into it just by the rear mattock wheels.

My experience using the seeder was that this design would have been better served if it were left on the shelf. The seeder plates were alway jamming up with the aluminum latex used to coat the seed, and slightest amount of humidity caused the seed to clump up.

This particular bracke is beginning used a patch scarifier this site will be hand planted next spring.  In this instance the prime mover used is a John Deere 648G.
Bill

Ron Scott

A few more "woodhauler names" noted while on the road.

"Logger's Limo"
"Got Wood"
"Sporting Wood"
~Ron

SwampDonkey

I wanted to comment on what was used for scarification here on local private woodlots. That is the C&H plow. Unless you have dry ground your working on, this machine should never be allowed off the float. It will ruin a sensitive site in a hurry, then those rows fill with water like ditches. If you have a good dry site, it still is best to scarify in the fall and plant in spring so the loose air pockets get worked out by the natural elements (rain, snow, thawing). Still have to be careful of pockets of duff that got turned over, prone to drying out in the summer heat. On old fields we have good luck with plowing and then spray 2 or 3 years later.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sunfield Hardwood

Here's my service truck I just assembled from a 1991 chevy 3/4 ton 4/4 that I bought new in 1990. I had the cab freshened up, it's just like new, then put the boxes on. it has a fuel tank for loaders and such,air compressor all kinds of tools, jacks, saws, shovel, fire ext, big first aid kit, extra clothes, oils, grease and grease gun, ropes, chains and lots of other stuff you could need on a logging job. It will be so much nicer than crawling over and digging through all that stuff in the old pickup bed. :)
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

SwampDonkey

Looks like a dandy. Secure enough to keep the tool thieves out.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

That set up really does make the job easier.  8)  I have wanted something like it but then I would have to go back to work to justify it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ron Scott

Well done! Looks like a very good service vehicle with items available in time of need.
~Ron

Bicboro

I currently run a 1270D doing mountain sides.  I've got 7000hrs on it so its alittle more work.  But come March 1st, I'll be getting my new 1470d.  I can't wait.  I've started posting stuff about it on my site...http://www.thetreeharvester.com.
Check it out.

In depth look into mechanical harvesting.  www.thetreeharvester.com

semologger

i liked your pitchure of the head and sun set/rise. put it on as a background.
good job nice one you dont see many like that perfect

Gary_C

That's a nice looking harvester. Tell us more about your operation and the kind of wood you are cutting. What kind of forwarder is that you have?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

sleepy

Sometimes you have to use what you have. :D
Yea thats a FORD!  8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA9lJx7DaiA
"I would rather try and fail than to never have tried at all"

Scott

Oh come on! At least get a Chev  :D

Furby

But he'd need the Ford to drag the Chev out. ;) :D

Corley5

Once upon a time I got my old Chevy stuck but it was OK because it took TWO Fords to pull it out.  A full size Bronco and a Ranger.  My Ford owning friends couldn't rib me about that one  :) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

semologger

i had my john deere 648E skidder pull out my chevy tracker yesterday. ;D wasnt much a pull though.

Ed_K

I ended up replacing the clutch on my ford ranger clearing for my log cabin thats now 22 yrs old, the ranger lasted 10. I've had every brand up pickup, always liked the one I'm driving now  ;D .
Ed K

SwampDonkey

Ed_K

GMC  ;) . who knows what the next will be. Crummies I buy Crummies.
Ed K

Ron Scott

Iron Mule 4510 Forwarder.Forwarding aspen pulpwood; Sheffer timber harvest; 12/07

~Ron

Rick Alger

Ron,

A few questions about the Iron Mule if you please. Are the bunks long enough for 16 foot logs? Can you load spotted trailers with the boom on the Mule? Is there a winch aboard for getting unstuck?

Rick

Reddog

Rick,
Here is a good thread with lots of Mule info.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,21155.40.html
Post 50 covers long logs.
Short answer to your questions are, Yes stack 12's or less on top to hold them, Yes you can load a trailer and No winch from the factory, I have not seen one with a winch.

Ron Scott

Pretty much as Reddog said. We allow a maximum of a 17 foot log which they will carry on a topload. I haven't seen any with a winch either. Some have asked about the articulation joint between the operator cab and the wood bunk. He is a photo of the 4510. 

~Ron

Rick Alger

Reddog and Ron,

Thanks for the info. 

Rick

Ron Scott

Working in Deep Snow. Falling a hard maple in deep snow takes some extra effort. The sawyer must clean out to the base of the tree prior to starting his tree falling task in this selection harvest of northern hardwoods. Nixon timber harvest; 2/08.

~Ron

Ed_K

No fun limbing out either, one min the bole was up to my knees next it was at my chest. Took me a min, just to get back up on top of the snow. Makes for a real long day  >:( .
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!