iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Slash Bundler. A bundle of red pine biomass leaves the machine. Also note processed bundles on the ground. New Page red pine harverst; 5/07.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Slash Bundler. A slash bundle is cut to bale size and dropped from the bundling machine to be forwarded to the landing/decking area. New Page red pine harvest; 5/07. 

~Ron

SwampDonkey

It's hard for me to see profit with the dirty chips, when I know from talking with local chippers that the profit is around $3 a ton for biomass in my kneck of the woods. Currently, there is one main chipper supplying the plant in Fort Fairfield, Maine at 200 loads a week and the marketing board had a small contract where an operator was sending 3 or 4 loads a week in. I think that small contract expired. Some of the stands the small operator was operating in would have been softwood sawlogs in 15 years and some were just pasture grown spruce or pulpwood potential sites. The purchase price of the fibre is fixed and the location of the next block is known well ahead for the large operator, he's on crown land. He also has access to a mountain of wood. For the small operator he has to haggle on price from every land owner for that fibre and go knocking on doors to find it.

My experience with red pine tells me it's not profitable in small diameter wood and we have no big demand for red pine pulp. Practically non existent. It's hit and miss at best. We have thousands of acres that are 2 to 50 year old plantations, most around 20 years old. Not quite big enough to do anything with, but needing thinning real soon and not with a brush saw. You can't even get near a red pine after 10 years with all those low, long reaching, branches. I'm going to thin a small section of red pine with brush saws and it's not going to be as easy as thinning spruce or hardwood.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

John Deere Grapple Skidder. A workhorse for tree length skidding on this red pine timber harvest. New Page red pine timber harvest; 5/07.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Chipping Red Pine Tops. The John Deere grapple skidder carries red pine tops to the chipper. Processed chips are then blown into the chip van.

~Ron

Mr Mom

Ron...I think that trailer need more axles under it :D :D :D.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

sawguy21

I have to wonder why a chip trailer needs that many. ???
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

stonebroke

sawguy21

OneWithWood

It must be a real drag cornering with that trailer  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

isawlogs

Quote from: OneWithWood on July 18, 2007, 10:15:36 AM
It must be a real drag cornering with that trailer ;)

Well not really ....  there is a switchs one can use in da dash to lift dem front and back drop axles .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Reddog

farmerdoug

Michigan allows a really high loaded truck weight here but a lower weight per axle than other states.  That is why you will see so many axles on trucks here in Michigan. 

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Ron Scott

Yes, that is why and the weigh master really checks out that axel weight.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Working at the marketing board I've seen as much as 45 tonne of green hardwood per load, a normal load would be around 34 tonne. Some of these little stream bridges out on country roads are only 20 tonne bridges.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

The whole truck isn't all on a short bridge at the same time  ;) ;D ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

It would be on the Shikatehawk. They gotta go around the other way I guess. No bridges there, 'cept down at the mouth where there is a heavier bridge on the 'Hawk'. Our bridge up on the farm, no it wouldn't span the whole bridge. But tater trucks are shorter and haul about 16 ton of taters during harvest, fertilizer the same during planting.  ;D

Dave Shepard

Kubota L48 with Farmi winch.  Small scale selective logging. I can harvest small quantities of logs with this setup without damaging the woodlot provided I wait for dry conditions. Here I am skidding full length, 40' to 48' stems. My skid trail allows this, but I will buck to length when it doesn't.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

These were taken on Arrow Lake (Columbia River). The logs are decked then hauled down and dumped in the water as needed. The boom boat is busy organizing and securing the logs. Too far away to get a good picture of the tug but the ferry was held up over two hours while he passed with a huge boom. If he traveled any faster he would lose logs. A round trip with a truck would take a day.

Ron Scott

Iron Mule Forwarder. The old Iron Mule is slow and steady carrying a load of aspen pulpwood along the hillside. Anderson timber harvest; 4/07.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Some more Woodhauler Truck Names noted while on the road.

"Guard Dog"
"Chip"
"Snapper"
"Miss Elizabeth"
"Fetchin Sticks"
"Bearly Making It"
"Spoiled Rotten"
"Road Runner"
"Tree Hugger"
"Black Foot"

~Ron

Ron Scott

Timberjack Forwarder. Sorting oak sawlogs at the roadside landing. Austin timber harvest; 5/07.

~Ron

Dave Shepard

When I first found this thread, I read through the whole thing, it was a little smaller, only 63 pages I think. :D Now that it's back, I'm going to read it all over again. 8)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Ron Scott on April 05, 2002, 03:00:58 PM
A good ending to this Thread as it dies for lack of interest!  :'(

Anything but dead, eh?

Dave

Ron Scott

Timberjack 380B Grapple Skidder. Pulls a grapple of aspen tree lengths out to the landing for delimbing and chipping. State, Wheeler Creek timber harvest; 8/07.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!