iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Looks like you need to subcontract some sawing.  ;) Wouldn't want them logs spoiling.  :( Looks like some fine saw logs there. To bad I'm so far away or I'd be over with the trailer after some bass carving stock and some beech turning stock. I'd love to have a banister and spools made of beech.  :) I never tried beech before but it has beautiful grain.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

I'm not sawin em  ;D  The maple and basswood grade logs go to Baumgarten's Mill in Tower, Mi.  The maple sawbolts go to Robbins Flooring mill  http://www.robbinsfloor.com/  in Millersburg, Mi. and the beech and other hardwood sawbolts go to Bunker's Mill in Vanderbilt, Mi.  We cut quite a few beech this morning and talked about what nice logs they make but couldn't come up with any reason to saw any for our own use  ;) ;D  The plan is to run for another month then knock off for haying season, sawmill moving season, and barn repairing season then go back to the woods the end of August or so.  That's the plan anyway  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Scott

Iron Mule 4510 Forwarder. Packs a load of aspen sawlogs to the landing/decking area. Malmborg timber harvest; 3/07.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

What price are the aspen sawlogs? We were getting 280 mfbm for aspen veneer at one time. Not sure of the price now. Had to be chalk white, but knots didn't matter.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

125 bucks a cord for 10' logs with at least a 10" top. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Stephen Alford

Started a new hardwood thinning. (RM 4 SM2 WB2 14m 81-90% CC ) In this part of the world I think we forest influence more than we forest manage. A personal goal is to try to maintain as much forest land base as possible. Whatever can be done to accomplish this is a good thing. The second objective is to meet the needs of the landowner. Offer the options however landowner rights still matter. If a landowner's choice is not something I can agree with then that is the time to move on.

logon

SwampDonkey

One picture will probably suffice unless your trying to post 3 different ones. ;)

Stephen Alford

Ya ,goofed  somehow was trying to post 3 different pics,  had the before and after thing.  Stephen
logon

SwampDonkey

You can use the 'Modify' button in the original post and place the other photo names from your gallery. Use the code by copy and paste from here into your modify post above. ;)

Maybe these are the photos ???

[img]https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/12754/Thinning.jpg [/img]

[img]https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/12754/Fairview%201.jpg [/img]

Stephen Alford

logon

Ron Scott

Iron Mule 4000 Forwarder. Parked at the landing/decking area and ready to start a days work. This is an older and "somewhat used" machine, but performed well on this timber harvest with no down time. I'll be closing the job out tomorrow. Anderson timber harvest; 3/07.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Ron Scott on April 23, 2007, 06:55:18 PM
This is an older and "somewhat used" machine, but performed well on this timber harvest with no down time.

Yeah, looks like 'broken down bronco Bruce'  ;D :D

thecfarm

This is an old Timber Jack with some beech logs.Logs was nothing to brag about,but better than pulp prices.Was about 15 minutes from my house.

This is the young guy helping out the old guy,John Deere 440G.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Iron Mule 4000 Forwarder. The "Old Girl" had her oil changed today and will now be moved out to another job. Her forwarded wood is now in waiting for the trucker.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Woodhauler "Fox #3" is preparing to leave with a load of oak sawlogs as the owner/driver climbs down off the loader. Anderson timber harvest; 3/07.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Logger's Pickup. Anderson timber harvest; 3/07

~Ron

arojay

Logging in beetle killed spruce.

Head of Woods Operations
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

fury50

Here is our home built, excavator based, combo forwarder/harvester. Used only as forwarder for now, we will install a Patu stroke harvester on it next week. It has a huge lifting capacity and fast loading speed due to is rotating cab. On 1000 hrs test, we had no major problem. We want to start production of this machine in 2008. More details on the tests and pics in harvesting mode soon.

Ed_K

I finally got a picture of the new winch on a clearing job.
Ed K

sawguy21

Can you resize so we can see it? ;)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ron Scott

Load of Oak Sawlogs. The Peterbuilt leaves the landing/decking area with a load of oak sawlogs. The 18 and 20 footers will be milled into crane decking material.
Austin timber harvest; 3/07.

~Ron

sawguy21

I have never seen an axle setup like that. The first and fourth ones appear to be tags.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ed_K

I down loaded a Hewett Packard photo program but I having problems making the photos to the 44 kb's when its small enough to be loaded into my folder it to blurry.
Guess I need to look for a different free photo fix prog.
Ed K

beenthere

Ed
Regards the pic.
Did ya follow the good Help guidelines?

Resize to 450 pixels longest side first
Yer photo posted is way down to 99 pixels on the longest side. The file size then might take care of itself. Give it another good shot. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

grassfed

Hi folks, I am posting some photos of some harvesting work that I did on my farm this winter.

Kingdom Hill Farm Aspen Harvest 2007

Aspen stand prior to felling note red arrow indicates where hard hat is for reference (note windthrow in backround)

Aspen stand after felling red arrow is where hard hat was

and some shots of the skid trail after harvest

aspen pulp by road waiting for mud season to end and some 20-24inch dbh 16 foot aspen saw logs

I did most of the felling and skidding in 3-4 feet of heavy snow I did not take any pics while I was working because I was afraid that the camera would get smashed.
Mike

Thank You Sponsors!