iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Well I guess you could also blame the guy doing the layout of the harvest. That would be considered wetland area and be buffered if the layout man was worth his weight. They normally running machinery through wetland and spring holes?  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Woodhog

Just another day in the woods...!!!

Are we having fun yet????

leweee

Muskeg & Tea Berrie swamps have a way of letting you down :o ::) in that part of the country. Don't freeze even in the coldest winters....Trappers will walk around them. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

thecfarm

He's back.Here's a piece of euipment he's added since he was here last Aug.

It's a John Deere grapple with a winch.It's not a big one,but this is what he wanted.He's been doing a real fine job with it.He's been going after the one's that are all over the lot.He's keeping one stand of white pine just in case we get a lot of snow again.He's ricking them up in the woods for the forwarder to pick up.Seems odd to see pine and hardwood mixed up in a pile.But that is what the forwarder is for,to sort out the logs at the landing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bill Johnson

They were able to fish both these machines out eventually.  The one from last winter required them to corduroy the wet hole and using 4 excavators and a skidder they were finally able to get it out. 

Sorry I don't have any photos of the extraction process.
Bill

stonebroke

What did they have to do to get them running again? I bet that was an involved process.

Stonebroke

Stephen Alford

HI ya ! Took these pictures of a new (to me) creature in the woods awhile back. ::)
/img]
logon

Stephen Alford

logon

Stephen Alford

It also had a grapple attachment  as well as a brush mower for trail and road maintenance.
/img]
logon

Greenedive

Is that a JD, Stephen? Colors look like it.
Looks like a all-around do-everything machine...are those rubber tracks?

Stephen Alford

Hi ya!  It was a cat. Rubber tracks. It was doing trials and I was just there to watch. The drivers seat was bidirectional which was neat.  The trees were felled but the head was not a buncher style.  The clam was then put on and the trees dragged to a modified porter with an inch-worm on the front bunk.  I have seen big bunnies make deeper ruts.  Stephen
logon

SwampDonkey

What kills a lot of these machine ideas is the fact they cost more than I can get out of the wood if I cut every stick, and that's not the way I want to manage my woods. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

"Chaining" The Iron Mule. Chains are now needed on the Iron Mule forwarder so that it can negotiate the hills in the harvest area. The logging crew assists the "boss" laying on the cold ground under the mule with the task. Austin timber harvest, 1/07.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Iron Mule Forwarder Works On Hillside. Pulpwood is being loaded on the Iron Mule for forwarding to the landing. Chains on the front tires provides the traction needed on the snow covered slope. Austin timber harvest, 2/07.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Timberjack Forwarder. Unloading and sorting oak sawlogs at the landing. Austin timber harvest; 2/07.

~Ron

Gary_C

Quote from: thecfarm on February 17, 2007, 04:42:51 PM
But that is what the forwarder is for,to sort out the logs at the landing.

All of my jobs have a variety of species of pulp along with red oak and maple sawlogs. I have found that it's easier to forward only one species at a time. It probably takes more driving thru the woods, but not more trips to the landing. But it saves a lot of time and trouble sorting at the landing. And it is much faster and a lot less trouble loading trucks with only one species in a pile.

Of course with a cut to length harvester, I try to keep each species piled separately in the woods. It just seems faster to keep the species sorted, rather than mixing and then resorting. Plus, I just hate to sort!

How does every else handle sorting?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Corley5

I was hauling everything out in mixed loads but it was taking forever at the landing to sort it.  Now I haul out one species of sawlogs and bolts per load and sort them at the landing.  It saves a lot of time, handling, and moving to different piles.  While loading in the woods I short stack the firewood so I can pick it up faster when I get back to it
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

Gary,this guy has been here 3 weeks and at least 20 trailer truck loads of white pine has been hauled out of here.This is really all that he is cutting unless a hardwood tree gets in his way.I've cut most of the hardwood that will make any good size logs.Out of the 20 and more loads,he hasn't cut enough hardwood to make a trailer load of pulp yet.That's what I meant by using the forwarder to sort logs.Wouldn't make sense to mix everything up and than sort it.He only has a few hardwood trees per each load of pine logs.Probaly knowing this guy he's pulling the small hardwood out first,than cuts the pine tree down.Once these pine goes down,it burys everything under the brush and you never see whats under it.This time he cutting alot of the scrub pine.Some crotch out 4 times,but are big at the butt for about 6-12 feet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

You sure have a lot of pine on that lot. Does Irving buy it?

thecfarm

Yes,swampdockey,your beloved Irving is buying it.They are begging for some pallet pine,just the stuff he is cutting.They cut out all the knots out,than dovetail it,and make a fortune on it.If they need it that bad,raise the price on it.  :D  :D  :D Irving in Dixfield will not be buying any good pine in about 2 weeks.Everyone is being shut off.I've been selling to them for 15 years or whenever they bought the plant from Dixfield Lumber.I always felt I got a good price from them.They will buy anything which was good when I was doing the cutting.If a hardwood tree was in the way,I could sell them a few logs and not have it sitting aroung going bad.I hope to get a tour of the plant coming up this spring.He should be able to come back about 2 more times and that will be it for about 20 years.I will let the rest grow.Need some for my sawmill.  ;D

SwampDonkey

Figured.  ;D But, don't get too comfortable. They are just as likely to turn a 180 as bull in a ring. ;)

They were looking for pine in my area one time back in 1998 or so. But they got discouraged when it was explained that we might have 1 mature pine every 100 acres. They're 200 years too late, since it's mostly been cut and just the ones nobody wanted left standing. ;)

Craig

I just got the letter from Irving last week. Try Hancock Lumber, their specs are identical to Irvings and the prices are similar too! My biggest problem lately has been getting trailers down here in MA because they aren't sending any finished product down this way. They won't just send a trailer down empty.

Craig
Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

thecfarm

I know about Hancock.In fact the logger I have use to sell to them,now he mostly deals with Irving.Just as well he is getting done,the scrub pine will buy us some time.I don't want him on mine land making any ruts.And he knows that.Mud season will be here soon.I would hate to tell him to leave.

Ron Scott

They will usually forward only one species to the landing at a time, but then sort the species by products and lengths such as veneer, grade logs, scrag logs, pulpwood, pellet stock, firewood, etc.
~Ron

thecfarm

This is what you don't want to see at your sawmill,hemlock shake

The straight line down the center is done by a chainsaw.Was bigger than 28 inches so it had to be split.The forwarder will split it the rest of the way.The other end of this 8 foot log looked a lot better.I would guess it's at least 70 years old,may even be up to 100.There were a few other trees,but the rest did not look like this.

Winching a white pine up to the skidder.

Thank You Sponsors!