iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Woodhauler, "Get R Dun". Loads Sawlogs from along the two track access road through the timber harvest area. Austin timber harvest; 6/06.

~Ron

Tom

CTL Chain Saw

Barko 225

Sorting cypress with a Barko 225

Curt's Barko 225

SwampDonkey

Looks like you have some sawing to do, for sure. Looks like an off bearer sitten back waiting for some boards to tale. Can't disappoint him. ;D

{tried posting early this morning but the server was down or something}  :'(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Woodhauler "Get R Dun" leaves the harvest area with another load of hardwood sawlogs. Austin timber harvest; 5/06

~Ron

sawguy21

That is interesting, four drive axles on a shortlog truck. Must be tough on tires. ???
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ScottAR

Just guessing, but I bet two of those axles are air up cheaters...  I'd say the front one and the back one...   
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Ron Scott

Woodhauler Get R Dun; "picks up steam" as it moves a load of sawlogs out over the two-track access road. Austin timber harverst 5/06.

~Ron

isawlogs

For those of you who ever wundered how they got the chips out of the trucks when they got to the mills ..   

This was taken at the Tembec mill in Témiscamingue Québec . Both wear being unloaded at the same time .

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Great pictures Marcel. I was surprised no one had posted similar before. I've seen them do the same at Nackawick. It is also a Tembec mill, co-owned by Burla in India, where they make Rayon for clothing.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

No equipement on my land as yet.They just came in to cut for a few days to try to get ahead of the forwarder.Here's a white pine that is a 3 footer.

This tree is about 80 years old.There are many more trees of this size to be cut.I have more pictures in my gallery if you want to view them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I'm sure those are pine, right? I was curious if you folks have some good sized white ash in your area. The big ones have been harvested in my area, as there is a mill that buys ash exclusively. For my inquiry, a big one is over 24 inches on the butt. We'll have some nice ash again if folks don't keep pulping it along with aspen.  ::)

thecfarm

Yes, I said they were white pine.There's been a logger about 10 minutes from me that has been hauling out big white ash,as you say,all summer.I know there are some bigger than 2 feet on the butt.I'm surprized to see it that big.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Had to go back and read a second time, as I missed it on the first read. ;)

SwampDonkey

Now , if we can keep the emerald ash borer out of here.  ::)

thecfarm

Here's a few pictures of what they are doing on my land.
all loaded,ready to go

Picking up another log.

A big log.

More pictures will be coming of the forwader.Our new camera don't do all that great with the bright sun.Check out my gallery for more pictures.

adirondack harvester

Nice Pictures!  A few questions though.  What equipment are they using to harvest your pine other than the forwarder?  Are they taking pulp out as well?

thecfarm

They are using 2 brand new Husky 372 with 20 inch bars.The pulp will be coming out at a later time.The forwarder operator pulls the pulp out by his roads and when they feel they have enough,out it comes.They really push the logs.Really no money in pine pulp here,just cleans up the woods.They will also bring out the cedar and hemlock too.The cedar and hemlock is for me to cut on my mill.They only cut what is in the way as far as anything besides white pine.They was in a small stand of cedar and pine.No sense in knocking it down and get nothing for it.They are leaving pine that is 2 feet through.I can handle that size myself.I've been watching this guy cut for more than 20 years.He always does a real nice job on the lots I've walked on.He knows that I am real picker with my land.It would not bother me one bit to kick him off my land if it wasn't coming out the way I feel it should be.So far it coming out good.Sure does look alot differant now.

mapleveneer

I have spent last week and this on work in New Zealand.  Lots of timbering both on the north island and the south island.  Most of it I believe is Douglas fir but someone from the west coast would be much more authoritative on the subject  ;).  Trucking is done almost exclusively on  a straight rig hauling a pup trailer.  Return trip (empty) the pup is loaded on the back of the truck.  Stakes on the truck fold down, on some units the pup stakes fold down also.  I don't see anything like this on the east coast US so I found it quite interesting.  Happened to see one trucker loading the pup onto the back of his rig at the port in Lyttleton.

I took a tourist tour in Rotorua on the north island and learned that they introduced a variety of species a number of years ago as an experiment and found that Douglas fir did quite well.  So most everything is now planted to that.  He said that they could grow a commercial tree in 25 years.

Interesting, I am on the forum at 3:59 am ET and there are still 2 members on, and 9 guests. 

sawguy21

I can't sleep either :D Those are interesting pics from NZ. We don't see truck and pup setups like that here. Pole trailers for hauling tree length are piggy backed like that though. Short logs are usually hauled on a single semi trailer or b-train.

Ianab

Hi Maple

The logs you saw are likely to be Doug Fir, there is a fair bit of that grown here, especially in the South Island. But most of the plantations (90%) are Radiata pine. They will produce good (2-3ft+) dia sawlogs in around 25 years. The Doug fir takes a bit longer, although is a better construction timber.

The truckers haul the trailers piggyback mostly to reduce the road tax they have to pay. All the trucks and trailers have hub meters, so if the trailer ones aren't spinning on the return trip it saves them 25% off the tax.  ;)

They have also recently changed the regulations to allow longer traliers, allows them to carry 2 smalller bunks of logs at a reduced height. Makes the trailer more stable, there were a couple of messy crashes involving overturning trailers.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mapleveneer

I met some of these trucks hauling logs on the north island last week.  If they didn't break the truck into two units it would never make it around the curves on the highways.

sawguy21

Ian, charging tax by the mile or km on the truck AND trailer is a nasty concept. :o I hope our politicians don't catch onto that one. Here, the trailers are piggy backed to save fuel and time on the return trip and space while turning around at the logging site. The trailer also adds weight to the drivers for badly needed traction on our steep logging roads.
Interesting about the Douglas fir being grown in NZ. I expect the climate is similar to our west coast so it should do well.

David_c

Few pics from job I am subbing on 1,300 acers.

David_c

David_c

Thank You Sponsors!