iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitternut

UUUMMMMM.........Ron it looks like maybe the Mat safety officer was not in the vicinity of the guy felling that big beech tree. From the picture it looks like he did not move away from the tree at least 15' and at a 45 deg angle from the direction of fall. What do you think?

Ron Scott

Yes, The MAT Safety Officer made a point of discussing that with him and the other fallers observing, especially the 45 degree angle from direction of fall. A good refresher for all in attendance.
~Ron

Gary_C

Here are some pictures of my cut to length equipment.

Valmet 546 Harvester

Valmet 840 Forwarder Filled with fuel for the next day. Just traded a single bunk Valmet 644 for this machine this winter. I needed the extra capacity and the 6 wheel machine with tracks.

Load of Aspen Pulp  All tied down and ready to roll. Jan 26, 05

Unloading Pulp wood at the mill This was taken July 8, 05

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

barbender

Nice looking equipment there Gary. What mill is that?  If you don't mind me asking, what do you have invested in your team? I'm just curious cause I dream about having a team someday too, but I know it won't be new Ponsse's. Way too much dinero $$$. 
Too many irons in the fire

UNCLEBUCK

Very cool equipment everyone has ! I will be thinking of all these pictures when I go to the woods soon with my old tractor and a 5 gallon can of gas and chainsaw .  You all could yank out more logs in one day than I will in 2 months.  But it sure is fun to see the pictures . 
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Ron Scott

High Stumps Stump heights for sawlog size trees are to be cut to 12 inches. Here the sawyer recuts a "high stump" for contract compliance. Austin timber harvest; 6/06.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

Ron, here is a link to procedures used to report residue and waste on crownlands in BC. I remember doing some of those surveys and you were partly doing forensics to piece together or reason certain situations. If you didn't you were constantly digging the logger even if he was following regulations in his logging practice especially when it came to WHSCC. In your pic, it almost looks like defect at the butt so the cut was made high. But, I
assume they are harsh on compliance with the contract.

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hva/manuals/rwprocedures/

[Furgott the link] ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Yes, in defective trees and in large multi-stem trunks such as oak the trees may be cut high, but then the high stump must be lowered to 12 inches or less.

We will allow some designated high stumps for wildlife purposes, etc. but not many excessive high stumps.
~Ron

Raphael

Great thread!!!

Last time our property was logged (we are on a 20-25yr cycle) it was one man and his cable skidder.  He was excellent, a far better operator than the fellows who were here in the late 60s who managed to hit every tree within 15ft of the main skid road.

I do some very limited selective timber harvesting for my own use and need to up the capacity of my "skidder".
Here are a couple pictures from the other end of the spectrum:

Here's Dad securing a small Hickory log.

A long maple on it's way to the mill.

Anyone skidding with less than 12hp.    :D ;D :D
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Ron Scott

Trimming Slash. Aesthetics of the harvest area is always a concern. The feller trims the slash to lie within 4 feet of the ground or less concurently with cutting. Austin timber harvest; 6/06.

~Ron

timberjack240

Trimming Slash.
round here we call that "lop the tops" ...

Tom

Around here, it is trimming slash too if it is big enough.  There was a time when it was justs as good a pulpwood as the logs, but, they've done away with the short-wood pulpwooder.

Now, instead of sawing a lot of it up with a chainsaw, it is run over with skidders or other big forest equipment to mash it close to the ground, where it will rot.

Ron Scott

The contract wording for handling slash is "lop and scatter". It is cut with chain saw and or run over with forwarder, skidder, feller buncher, etc. to lie as close to the ground as possible.

Some high slash may be designated for leaving during the operation for wildlife purposes and firewood removal by the forester administering the harvest.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Ron Scott on June 27, 2006, 05:37:19 PM
Trimming Slash. Aesthetics of the harvest area is always a concern. The feller trims the slash to lie within 4 feet of the ground or less concurently with cutting. Austin timber harvest; 6/06.

A local logger told me this spring if he can look out across his cut block and see a big top stuck up there 12 feet in the air he knows someone in his crew has wasted wood. He told me he has to lean hard on his crew to always use all the wood.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

That's what we want, good wood utilization of all commercial wood. Our standard "rule of thumb" is that "everything is left straight with the world". "All uncut trees are left straight up and down and all slash is left horizontal with the ground so we can see across the stand".
~Ron

Ron Scott

Iron Mule Forwarder. At work; Austin timber harvest; 6/06.

~Ron

David_c

Ron how much wood do those Irion mules hual out at once?

Ron Scott

Approximately 1.5 cords or about 750 bd. ft. average when carrying mostly 8 foot lenghts.
~Ron

David_c

Thanks thougt it was something like that.

mugford1

Rubberboots with kevlar are safty but they are egendering  perspiring feet.  Against this drawback are special fleecesocks helping. If you wear this socks, you can work the whole day and in the evening when you put off the rubberboots, your feet are dry.

The same is being valid for leather boots with kevlar.

8)

Woodhog

Would you have an internet link that describes the above mentioned socks...my feet need all the help they can get in those rubber caskets...Thanks

SwampDonkey

You can also get a kind of slipper from Mark's Work Warehouse, Zellers used to carry them also. They are blue-gray in color and only ride up to ankle hieght. I find them and some good polymer insoles make my feet comfy in those safety chaulk (we call'm cork) boots. I'm like you Woodhog, my feet need to be in comfort or I feel like a crippled old man by 5 pm.  Now if they could just make those boots so they don't chaiffe the hair of your legs. :(

mugford1

Hello Woodhog,

got to this link: http://www.hellyhansen.com. Helly Hansen . An other pic is here:http://www.wobestellen.de/td-socken+heavy+navy-833964-2945.htm

Helly Hansen produces the best workwear for logging. In Germany all men who are working in the forest wearing this clothes.

SwampDonkey

I've never had any better luck with HH than I have with Viking or Husqy. A pair of those boots will barely last a season when working in thinnings. The sides and edges that are thin rubber always break down. The best set of rain gear I had was from a supplier in BC with double lined bibs and coat. Don't waste your good money on Gortex garments, you can buy that stuff for $2-3 a square foot and these big name brands stick an outrageous price on them. The best Gortex boot I ever had and still use is made by Red Wing in the US. I've had others and they break down before a year. My current boots are 3 years old.

David_c

I have a pair of Rocky boots with goretex that have lasted about 3 years now. They do need to be resoled, but the goretex is none the worse for wear.

Thank You Sponsors!